Weight distribution

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contrary to what most books say I notice a lot of top players appear to be shifting weight backwards. Is it just my perception?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contrary to what most books say I notice a lot of top players appear to be shifting weight backwards. Is it just my perception?
In my opinion, most books were written to sell books....not to show people how to play and win.
:thumbup:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member

Keeping a little more weight on your back foot can help you to not pop up during your stroke. I don’t know what the “books” say on this matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good observation. Leaning the bottom half of the body back counters the forward lean of the top half and puts the player in balance. However, the feet must be positioned in a way to accommodate this type of balance. If the player crowds the shot with his torso by placing his back foot across the line of the shot, he won't be able to lean back.

In all my years of playing and teaching, I have noticed that athletic players tend to adopt this stance naturally. Some are trained away from it, which I think is a shame.

And FYI, this is the stance that I teach. It's also a good way for a player to determine if his back foot has strayed across the line of the shot without realizing it. If he can no longer lean back, he should check his feet.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These nuances are more important than I believe many realize. It’ll be a lifetime journey but I’m always looking for little things to improve and keep that cue delivery straight

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, most books were written to sell books....not to show people how to play and win.
:thumbup:

I don't think this is true. The more your book helps people, then word gets out and the more people will buy your book.

Years ago, when players stood taller at the table, advising players to evenly distribute their weight between both legs was pretty close to the truth. After all, there wasn't a big bend forward to have to counter.

But that no longer holds true because players now stand lower at the table. So if a pool author is telling you to evenly distribute your weight, you'd better be standing pretty erect at the table.

Snooker players have always stood low to the table, so their books regarding stance usually promote either a lean back or a lean forward. If they're encouraging a lean forward, then they're also including a bent bridge arm. They go hand-in-hand.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
These nuances are more important than I believe many realize. It’ll be a lifetime journey but I’m always looking for little things to improve and keep that cue delivery straight
Then do what the snooker players do. They actually have effective methods to keep their action straight.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then do what the snooker players do. They actually have effective methods to keep their action straight.

But snooker players make adjustments to their stances if they play pool any length of time. The main difference is that pool players prefer to free up their shooting arm more than snooker players do.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, on a side note I was watching the VENT dvd on position and in the hangers section I noticed when going multiple rails through center of table you and Dave tended to use low with side as opposed to high and side. Other materials I have studied usually use high and side. Is there any advantage to way you guys shot? Thanks

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good observation. Leaning the bottom half of the body back counters the forward lean of the top half and puts the player in balance. However, the feet must be positioned in a way to accommodate this type of balance. If the player crowds the shot with his torso by placing his back foot across the line of the shot, he won't be able to lean back.

In all my years of playing and teaching, I have noticed that athletic players tend to adopt this stance naturally. Some are trained away from it, which I think is a shame.

And FYI, this is the stance that I teach. It's also a good way for a player to determine if his back foot has strayed across the line of the shot without realizing it. If he can no longer lean back, he should check his feet.

In Bold. A good friend of mine and a great player said "I sit down on the stance, it's like sticking your butt out".
Worked for him and it works for me.
Nice post Fran. :)

John

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
IMHO, leaning back adds stability, leaning forward can help add some forward punch/thrust, like when thrusting the body forward on a powerful break shot.

Think of boxing. If I rear back too much, it's hard to thrust a fist forward at speed. It's easier to be leaning forward into the punch.

Pool seldom requires a lot of power and thrust moving forward, so the lean back makes good sense for most players/most shots, if their stance accommodates it (as sagely written above by others).

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
I couldn't disagree more.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong. Just saying maybe they (snooker world) know some things we (pool world) don't.

Our best players can't even get through their qualifying school......against their 3rd tier pro level players. And when an essentially unknown snooker player comes to the Derby City, one who never won on their tour and rarely made a top 16 showing, gets the high run in the straight pool challenge on the 10 footer (only player to break 100), it makes you wonder.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DTL...That must have been a while back. There wasn't even a 14.1 final this year...and usually the 10' table has been replaced in the tv arena with the 9' for the 1-pkt final, and the 9ball matches.

I've read what I believe is some strange information in this thread...to me. My take on stance is that almost all the time you want to be balanced in your stance. Putting weight on your bridge hand creates the perfect tripod for delivering the cuestick with great timing. Standing with your weight more on your back foot, when you strike the CB, is backwards to me. In any kind of throwing sport nobody is backweighted when they swing, strike, or throw anything...if they're trying to be accurate. Get your weight a little forward on your bridge hand, and use cue weight and timing to create the stroke speed you want to hit the ball with.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I'm not saying he's right or wrong. Just saying maybe they (snooker world) know some things we (pool world) don't.

Our best players can't even get through their qualifying school......against their 3rd tier pro level players. And when an essentially unknown snooker player comes to the Derby City, one who never won on their tour and rarely made a top 16 showing, gets the high run in the straight pool challenge on the 10 footer (only player to break 100), it makes you wonder.

Last edited:

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
DTL...That must have been a while back. There wasn't even a 14.1 final this year...and usually the 10' table has been replaced in the tv arena with the 9' for the 1-pkt final, and the 9ball matches.

I've read what I believe is some strange information in this thread...to me. My take on stance is that almost all the time you want to be balanced in your stance. Putting weight on your bridge hand creates the perfect tripod for delivering the cuestick with great timing. Standing with your weight more on your back foot, when you strike the CB, is backwards to me. In any kind of throwing sport nobody is backweighted when they swing, strike, or throw anything...if they're trying to be accurate. Get your weight a little forward on your bridge hand, and use cue weight and timing to create the stroke speed you want to hit the ball with.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

It was the 2013 DCC Straight Pool Challenge. That year they used the 10 footer. The gentleman’s name was Stuart Pettman. He didn’t win it but he had the high run over the course of the event. One other thing that I find amazing is the fact that he had no idea how to play straight pool. I believe the run is on YouTube.

Good post in terms of everything you said in the second paragraph.

DTL

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Doesn't make me wonder at all. Many snooker players have tried their hand at 14.1. It's pretty well documented as are the overall results. The overall results are not too impressive. However, things do improve when they stick around and start adjusting their fundamentals to accommodate the larger pool balls and other things that are different.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
I couldn't disagree more.

Doesn't make me wonder at all. Many snooker players have tried their hand at 14.1. It's pretty well documented as are the overall results. The overall results are not too impressive. However, things do improve when they stick around and start adjusting their fundamentals to accommodate the larger pool balls and other things that are different.

I think you missed the point. That we pool players should maybe listen to what snooker players have to say when it comes to core fundamentals that help one deliver a wooden stick in a straight line......the most important thing needed to play well in both games.

Why would they even want to play in any 14.1 tournament? Finish top 5 and possibly fly back across the pond with less money than they came with, lol. By the way, Mr Pettman had 2 runs over 100 on that 10 footer (everyone got 12 tries for $100)......he probably just said to himself "I think I'll fancy a try at this". Only a couple of the best pool players in the world came close after maybe 500+ tries collectively.

To the OP......there are lots of good snooker instructional videos on youtube (Nic Barrow, others) that can definitely help your game . Check 'em out.

Last edited: