Wet the tips before trimming?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
So far,the only ones I've wet before trimming are Snipers. Moori and Kamui Black cut so nice for me there is NO need. I seal the sides of Elk Masters with thin CA,nothing else is needed with other one-piece tips.

I haven't had a problem yet cutting Snipers with the toolpost cutter,but damned if they don't cut cleaner when taking off the last bit of diameter and shaping it with a utility blade.

Everyone has their methods. Tommy D.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
So far,the only ones I've wet before trimming are Snipers. Moori and Kamui Black cut so nice for me there is NO need. I seal the sides of Elk Masters with thin CA,nothing else is needed with other one-piece tips.

I haven't had a problem yet cutting Snipers with the toolpost cutter,but damned if they don't cut cleaner when taking off the last bit of diameter and shaping it with a utility blade.

Everyone has their methods. Tommy D.

I hate cutting Elkmasters. They dull my tools like crazy. Plus about 2/3 are crap and I have to start over.

But I do plan on trying CA on the sides. I've been using Hightower's shaft sealer to seal the sides of tips and shine up the ferrule. It does a beautiful job. :cool:

champ94wfo

Rudie Cue as shown
Silver Member
Wet the Tip

A machinist friend told me years ago, whenever you can use a live center, use it. They were invented to stabilize the material being machined in order to make a safer and more precise cut/pass/turn/whatever.

Of course, depending on the material, the machine, and the operation being performed, live centers might get in the way. Thankfully, there's plenty of room for the concave live center on my Porper Model B lathe.

There are all sorts of live centers out there. If the one supplied with your lathe doesn't give you enough room, I'd be willing to bet you could find one somewhere that does.

Jeff is right on the nutz is his opinion of using a center whenever possible.
Many times, (depending on ferrule material), you can even see the deflection of the ferrule and tip when applying side pressure from your cutting bit. I have encountered this even while having 1/4 of the ferrule chucked up, sometimes you can visually notice the diameter increasing as you look towards the end of the tip.
You can easily verify this buy chucking up a shaft with 1/4 to 3/8 of the ferrule chucked. Using no center on the tip end, make a couple cuts, measure the diameter just ahead of the chuck jaws, and the near the end of the ferrule, you will probably be surprised at the difference in diameter..
Rudie

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

I wet every tip side after cutting it close to the blend dia with the ferrule. I burnish it with a paper towel and then blend. I never cut wet or leave spit on for more than a few seconds.

I use carbide for everything I cut, even the leather.

JMO,

Rick

Last edited:

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a 60º live center in my tailstock with a brass piece on the end to put pressure on the tip while cutting the tip close to flush. The brass is turned down to about Ø12mm and has a matching 60º concave cone on the end to center on the tailstock. I wrap the shaft with a 1” strip of flat silicone rubber and chuck it real tight in my back jaw. That way I can wrap the ferrule with a rolling paper and don’t have to over tighten my front jaw to overcome the clamp pressure from the tailstock. I finish with a razor blade.

Attachments

• IMG_20120513_174231.jpg
    IMG_20120513_174231.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_20120513_173153.jpg
    IMG_20120513_173153.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20120513_173654.jpg
    IMG_20120513_173654.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 338

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I use a 60º live center in my tailstock with a brass piece on the end to put pressure on the tip while cutting the tip close to flush. The brass is turned down to about Ø12mm and has a matching 60º concave cone on the end to center on the tailstock. I wrap the shaft with a 1” strip of flat silicone rubber and chuck it real tight in my back jaw. That way I can wrap the ferrule with a rolling paper and don’t have to over tighten my front jaw to overcome the clamp pressure from the tailstock. I finish with a razor blade.

100+ Kamui black's, no water, no problems.

Dude....

switch to a pipe with a nice bowl.... rolling papers went out in the 70's.... what I remember of them..

LOL

Kim