what A joint ???? options

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have over 50 Fronts and handles to assemble. All straight grained maple(handles) .All turned to 50ths over, the wood was cut t by Ron Lampert (a gunsmith from the best quality woods available!!!!! What I need help with is they were cut for ( ?? for a metal A joint- twice the size off 9/16-14. I see prather uses a long wood A joint. lomax uses a 3 inch wood pincoming from the front. or just use and glue a lot of g-10 pins. What did Szamboti do-- ((the metal I think!) like Schon and others. What does Jack Madden do ?????? I think he was taught by Gus. help or offers I am open for suggestions- I am leaning towards Mr. Jack Madden . thanks in advance for any ideas or offers!! mark

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have over 50 Fronts and handles to assemble. All straight grained maple(handles) .All turned to 50ths over, the wood was cut t by Ron Lampert (a gunsmith from the best quality woods available!!!!! What I need help with is they were cut for ( ?? for a metal A joint- twice the size off 9/16-14. I see prather uses a long wood A joint. lomax uses a 3 inch wood pincoming from the front. or just use and glue a lot of g-10 pins. What did Szamboti do-- ((the metal I think!) like Schon and others. What does Jack Madden do ?????? I think he was taught by Gus. help or offers I am open for suggestions- I am leaning towards Mr. Jack Madden . thanks in advance for any ideas or offers!! mark

Usually a tenon is cut on the handle and a hole bored in the forearm or vice versa. Some sort of threaded pin is use to screw the 2 halves together. The screw can be a standard joint pin of any material or thread. The screw does not have to be metal. Some do not use a threaded pin at all and rely on glue. An epoxy is used but Gorilla Glue will work just as well.

It's your choice....

Kim

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Most of the times the A joint is a cuemaker's best kept secret.
There are several ways to skin a cat :)
I would advise you to try a few different ones and see if that makes a different on hit, how straight is the cue after you do a dry fit and final gluing, etc, etc. Chris Hightower book can probably answer some of your questions. Good luck with your adventure.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the comments fella's

I do have the kers bk on cuebuilding / others too. I would except pm's if someone would not tell the complete az world there secrets. I do have a bouch of tools for the operations,just need to learn which ones to use. The cues were supposed to have 9/16-14 pins, inserts- steel collars. mark

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member

Sorry,but I don't do my A-joints like you mentioned.

juspooln

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some interesting thoughts and great pics, as usual, by Mr. Dzuricky http://www.dzcues.com/A-Joint.html should get you well on your way. If I remember correctly, Joe at Cue Components has a good video for this particular area of cue making also.