What About " TUCK & ROLL ???

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I remember hearing about this …
pool playing method // Approach ????????????????
I think "tucking" is curling your grip hand toward your body during the shot stroke to apply side spin.

I don't know what "rolling" is - maybe just a word that sounds good there?

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think "tucking" is curling your grip hand toward your body during the shot stroke to apply side spin.

pj
chgo
Rollin is the opposite. Before it was called BHE some players called it tuck-n-roll.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Rollin is the opposite.
Oh - thanks.

Before it was called BHE some players called it tuck-n-roll.
I wonder how many versions of BHE there are...?
- move back hand/forearm sideways and stroke straight
- move back hand/forearm sideways during stroke (swooping BHE)
- move back hand only sideways during stroke (tuck or roll - another kind of swooping BHE)
- ?more?

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh - thanks.

I wonder how many versions of BHE there are...?
- move back hand/forearm sideways and stroke straight
- move back hand/forearm sideways during stroke (swooping BHE)
- move back hand only sideways during stroke (tuck or roll - another kind of swooping BHE)
- ?more?

pj
chgo
No tellin. It was how the old-timers dealt with the high squirt cues of the day. I had a guy show me this a long time ago and at first i thought he was nuts. But it works, aim center ball and swing the butt to apply spin. He didn't swoop, he stroked straight after the diagonal cue shift. Dude could flat play with this method.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
No tellin. It was how the old-timers dealt with the high squirt cues of the day. I had a guy show me this a long time ago and at first i thought he was nuts. But it works, aim center ball and swing the butt to apply spin. He didn't swoop, he stroked straight after the diagonal cue shift. Dude could flat play with this method.
That's the kind (straight stroke after pivoting) that I'd recommend.

If your shaft's pivot point is near your bridge hand BHE can be a very helpful "mechanical" way of getting the cue very near the correct line for the shot (some minor adjustment "by feel" is probably necessary for most shots).

Fronthand english (moving just the front hand) can work too, but your pivot point is unlikely to be near your back hand (where the cue pivots), so bigger "by feel" adjustments are needed.

Dr. Dave teaches a method of "mechanically" combining FHE and BHE for those in-between shots.

pj <- don't get me started
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In that video Terry Bell gives a pretty good overview of the technique. He fails to mention that the correct bridge length will vary with how hard you hit the ball and with the amount of elevation, both due to swerve. Also, I don't think hardness of the tip has any direct influence.

I hope he mentioned the non-swooping technique (aim, pivot, warmup strokes, shoot) in a later video in the series. I think swoop is going to take players longer to master than the less dynamic form.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be a guy at the Billiard Palace, who knew about that Tuck & Roll stuff. He also talked about an Inside Out & an Outside In. He carried his Pool Cue (one piece) in a PVC Tube, maybe that will help you remember who he was. He said that Buddy Hall helped him with this format.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Not sure how it applies to pool...but it'd be a good license plate for a motorcycle. TUKNROL

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the kind (straight stroke after pivoting) that I'd recommend.

If your shaft's pivot point is near your bridge hand BHE can be a very helpful "mechanical" way of getting the cue very near the correct line for the shot (some minor adjustment "by feel" is probably necessary for most shots).

Fronthand english (moving just the front hand) can work too, but your pivot point is unlikely to be near your back hand (where the cue pivots), so bigger "by feel" adjustments are needed.

Dr. Dave teaches a method of "mechanically" combining FHE and BHE for those in-between shots.

pj <- don't get me started

chgo

A very good player who has beaten many top pros like Jayson Shaw and Mika Immonen, etc. took some time to show me a method where you aim dead center cue ball and pivot during the stroke. After trying it some, it is shockingly accurate. This guy was one of the most methodical and technically perfect players I know. I found it odd that someone with his play style would use this technique. It seems as long as you move smoothly and don’t jerk the cue to the side, it is amazing how well it works.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very good player who has beaten many top pros like Jayson Shaw and Mika Immonen, etc. took some time to show me a method where you aim dead center cue ball and pivot during the stroke. After trying it some, it is shockingly accurate. This guy was one of the most methodical and technically perfect players I know. I found it odd that someone with his play style would use this technique. It seems as long as you move smoothly and don’t jerk the cue to the side, it is amazing how well it works.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Totally agree. Over the years i've known/seen quite a few top players who used this method in one form or another(straight vs. swoop delivery).

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
The best explanation I ever saw about this was done by Jim Rempe in an old school instructional video made by Meucci. Tommy D.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
I still use BHE and I feel that if I need extra English on the CB I use the swoop method rather than a straight stroke. It works especially if I shoot with slow or medium speed.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Front hand for outside English, back hand for inside English. You will miss quite often if you use backhand for outside english.