What Cue Ball are you using?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool halls I got to usually have Aramiths measles balls, although
I've seen a few knockoff measles balls sneak in, which are too light.
I keep a red circle in my case, as a few of my regular One
Pocket matchups prefer it..( me too).

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea why a red circle would play heavier than the measle.
The measle plays so much heavier to me.
Tougher to draw but easier to follow. It also breaks better.
My red circle only weighs 160 grams .
Balls are around 164 or so.

Red circle and red dot are different, btw.

And the problem with all of this is there are too many fake ones coming from China. I know one local hall who got duped into buying fake name brand chalk.

EVERY measle ball that I've played with at Brian's has been larger than the balls on the table and played "lighter" than my Red Triangle cue ball that is the same size as the table balls.

The measle balls were all personal cue balls, not balls from the ball tray.

My opponents COMPLAIN when we use my Red Triangle ball and say it is "too heavy". They can't "move" the cue ball as well with my Red Triangle as they can with their measle ball.

I have never weighed it, but if my friend brings his measle ball tomorrow I'll weigh both of them for comparison. I know it is larger than my ball.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
red circle

I mostly play with red circle cue balls. I have the quality measles ball bought long ago. It seems to play heavy to me and it rolls long compared to the house red circle balls. Maybe a foot or sixteen inches on a three or four rail shot.

Doesn't sound like much but it is enough to have to make adjustments playing close shape. My measle ball sits on my shelf, somewhere.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EVERY measle ball that I've played with at Brian's has been larger than the balls on the table and played "lighter" than my Red Triangle cue ball that is the same size as the table balls.

The measle balls were all personal cue balls, not balls from the ball tray.

My opponents COMPLAIN when we use my Red Triangle ball and say it is "too heavy". They can't "move" the cue ball as well with my Red Triangle as they can with their measle ball.

I have never weighed it, but if my friend brings his measle ball tomorrow I'll weigh both of them for comparison. I know it is larger than my ball.
I thought the measel ball was bigger til we measured one. Same size as Aramith red-circle. I think the color and the dots just make it look larger. Weighed same also.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am using the Aramith Blue Logo cue ball myself. The one included in the Aramith Premium set.

There are several different Aramith cue balls, plus the other brands on the market. Which are the really good ones?
Red circle is preferred by many, as it is by far the easiest to keep clean and looking nice in regards to the ease of wiping off chalk marks and removing deeper scratch/miscue marks. The red Aramith logo cue ball is clearly not as popular among discriminating players.

The pro cup measle ball is also very popular, but harder to keep clean. The black Aramith logo ball that comes with the Aramith tournament balls is nice, but has not gained in popularity due to its newness.

The blue circle mentioned by someone earlier is not an Aramith ball and it only comes with the Brunswick centennial sets. Plays nice, but is also very hard to keep clean.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Aramith red measles ball. Although I think I should switch out to my heavier plain CB since I'm playing league and that heavier ball is in use more.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I mostly play with red circle cue balls. I have the quality measles ball bought long ago. It seems to play heavy to me and it rolls long compared to the house red circle balls. Maybe a foot or sixteen inches on a three or four rail shot.

Doesn't sound like much but it is enough to have to make adjustments playing close shape. My measle ball sits on my shelf, somewhere.

Hu

Same finding here.
I have no clue how anyone could find the measle to play lighter than the red circle .
I remember the time my local hall switched to the measle cue ball. The sets of balls were a little old so the measle played really heavy .
People claim it is the same weight as the centennial balls.
But, it's composition still made it heavy for me .
I have one stashed as well. Hate it .

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same finding here.
I have no clue how anyone could find the measle to play lighter than the red circle .
I remember the time my local hall switched to the measle cue ball. The sets of balls were a little old so the measle played really heavy .
I have quite a collection of Cue balls so I pulled out 3 of each - virtually brand new of the five most popular cue balls – a total of 15 balls - Blue Circle Brunswick, red logo Aramith, pro cup measle Aramith, black circular logo Aramith and red circle Aramith. I measured the diameter as well as the gram weight of all the balls. My findings are as follows:

The red logo Aramith is clearly the smallest in diameter as well as the lightest, at 2.246 inches in diameter and 167.5 grams average between the three of them.

The black circular logo Aramith that comes with the Aramith tournament balls is the largest in diameter at 2.252 inches. The other three are all virtually the same - between 2.49 inches and 2.50 inches in diameter.

The blue circle centennial and the black logo Aramith are virtually the same weight at just under 168 grams average, whereas the pro cup measle and the red circle were the two heaviest - both averaging right at 169 grams.

Of the five sets of 3 cue balls each, the black logo Aramith easily had the most consistent specs from one ball to the next, both diameter and in weight. All three were exactly 2.252 inches in diameter and the gram weight between the three varied by no more than 1/10 of 1 gram - quite impressive!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have quite a collection of Cue balls so I pulled out 3 of each - virtually brand new of the five most popular cue balls – a total of 15 balls - Blue Circle Brunswick, red logo Aramith, pro cup measle Aramith, black circular logo Aramith and red circle Aramith. I measured the diameter as well as the gram weight of all the balls. My findings are as follows:

The red logo Aramith is clearly the smallest in diameter as well as the lightest, at 2.246 inches in diameter and 167.5 grams average between the three of them.

The black circular logo Aramith that comes with the Aramith tournament balls is the largest in diameter at 2.252 inches. The other three are all virtually the same - between 2.49 inches and 2.50 inches in diameter.

The blue circle centennial and the black logo Aramith are virtually the same weight at just under 168 grams average, whereas the pro cup measle and the red circle were the two heaviest - both averaging right at 169 grams.

Of the five sets of 3 cue balls each, the black logo Aramith easily had the most consistent specs from one ball to the next, both diameter and in weight. All three were exactly 2.252 inches in diameter and the gram weight between the three varied by no more than 1/10 of 1 gram - quite impressive!
All of those fall within spec and no one would be able to see a performance difference. Pretty damned good QC in my book especially that black logo.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Same finding here.

I was thinking I might try mine as ferrule material, maybe even a joint. When I told people why I wouldn't play with it I couldn't even give it away!

Hu

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the measel ball was bigger til we measured one. Same size as Aramith red-circle. I think the color and the dots just make it look larger. Weighed same also.

The measle balls that my friends are using are BIGGER than the balls being used on the table. I say again, BIGGER.

We have measured them against the other balls. Many times.

Maybe they are knock offs.

I don't know, but I know they are BIGGER than the balls in the ball tray.

I say again, BIGGER.

And they play LIGHTER than my Red Triangle ball. EVERY ONE who plays me says the SAME THING. I can spin and draw their measle balls WAY MORE than mine, and so can THEY. That is why they ***** when we use MY ball.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The measle balls that my friends are using are BIGGER than the balls being used on the table. I say again, BIGGER.

I say again, BIGGER.

And they play LIGHTER than my Red Triangle ball. EVERY ONE who plays me says the SAME THING. I can spin and draw their measle balls WAY MORE than mine, and so can THEY. That is why they ***** when we use MY ball.
Red triangle ball? I’m not familiar with that one. Who is it made by and how long ago did you purchase it?

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I say again, BIGGER.

Pool halls generally keep ball sets for a long time. The object balls will eventually wear down to a smaller diameter and a lighter weight. Cueballs get the most wear - so they wear down the fastest. As stated, new Aramith red circle cueballs weigh about 169 grams, but I have seen many older red circle cue balls that are obviously smaller and lighter than the rest of the ball set. The opposite is true if you’re using an old ball set with a new cueball.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red triangle ball? I’m not familiar with that one. Who is it made by and how long ago did you purchase it?

It is from an old set of balls at Hawaiian Brian's.

I got it from a guy who works there.

I don't know what ball set it came with.

All I know is that it is the same size as the balls in the tray and it is heavier than the measle ball and the cue balls in the trays that are really worn down and usually smaller than the object balls in the trays.

In edit: The Red Triangle ball is mentioned in this link.

https://billiards.colostate.edu/resource_files/Aramith_CB_info.pdf

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool halls generally keep ball sets for a long time. The object balls will eventually wear down to a smaller diameter and a lighter weight. Cueballs get the most wear - so they wear down the fastest. As stated, new Aramith red circle cueballs weigh about 169 grams, but I have seen many older red circle cue balls that are obviously smaller and lighter than the rest of the ball set. The opposite is true if you’re using an old ball set with a new cueball.

I know. I worked in a pool hall for years as a kid. Been playing ever since...over 50 years.

I've seen cue balls that were WAY smaller than the other balls in the set.

In the pool hall where I worked we had a couple of tables where 9-ball was pretty much the only game played and the 10-15 balls were noticeably larger when you played with the entire set of balls on the table.

Last edited:

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
I've got a very old set of Centennial balls.....the cue ball that came with it is what I use....

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
walnut!

I know. I worked in a pool hall for years as a kid. Been playing ever since...over 50 years.

I've seen cue balls that were WAY smaller than the other balls in the set.

In the pool hall where I worked we had a couple of tables where 9-ball was pretty much the only game played and the 10-15 balls were noticeably larger when you played with the entire set of balls on the table.

I went into a strange pool hall and got a rack of balls. The cue ball was visibly smaller, looked like a walnut! I didn't say a mumbling word. Walked out to my truck and grabbed my measle ball to play with. They found out I might be a sucker but I wasn't that big of a sucker!

Hu