What Cue Ball do you prefer and why

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is frequently stated that Aramith red circle cue balls are lighter than other cue balls. I believe red circle cue balls do tend to wear faster and become lighter. So - especially in a pool hall, older red circle balls definitely do become lighter than the object balls. But all the new red circle balls that I have bought in the last several years have weighed very close to the same at 5.9oz/ 168g - the same as a new measle ball or other Aramith set new cue balls.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt that the red circle you are weighing is new. A new genuine Aramith red circle will be very close to 5.9oz and 168g.
I agree. I have 10-15 virtually new of each of the 5 top cue balls on the market - Blue Circle Centennial and the top 4 Aramith cue balls - Red Circle, Pro Cup Measle, Red logo and black logo. Without exception, all of them weigh 168-169 grams.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the Super Aramith Pro Cue ball.

Why?

It costs less than the measle ball and stays cleaner than the cue ball that came with my Aramith Premium set (Aramith Blue logo).

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
5.6 ounce is the generic red circle cue ball, not the Aramith Super Pro. The ones that are same color as Rempe Training Ball.

I doubt that the red circle you are weighing is new. A new genuine Aramith red circle will be very close to 5.9oz and 168g.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red circle is my favorite. The measles balls at the place I play at have all developed flat spots where the red dots are.
I can slowly move the cue ball and watch it settle on one of the red dots every time. This is in a public pool room so they get a lot of use. It happens with every measles cue ball in the place. The room is closed now from covid..

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is frequently stated that Aramith red circle cue balls are lighter than other cue balls. I believe red circle cue balls do tend to wear faster and become lighter. So - especially in a pool hall, older red circle balls definitely do become lighter than the object balls. But all the new red circle balls that I have bought in the last several years have weighed very close to the same at 5.9oz/ 168g - the same as a new measle ball or other Aramith set new cue balls.

I've noted this and have had to replace my RC CB more than once.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red circle is my favorite. The measles balls at the place I play at have all developed flat spots where the red dots are.
I can slowly move the cue ball and watch it settle on one of the red dots every time. This is in a public pool room so they get a lot of use. It happens with every measles cue ball in the place.
The room is closed now from covid..

Highlighted for all the Cyclop haters.

Lou Figueroa

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The measles ball is the worst. The ones I have seen are smaller and lighter. That's why a ball banger can draw the ball 4 feet. They take an unnatural angle off a cut shot, due to being light. Deflection is increased. People with no stroke love them. Spectators with no knowledge of pool say "wow" to the spinning dots, as if they're watching a world champion. The shooter spins his cue like an airplane propeller and he's happy with his high run of 4 balls.
I just weighed 2 red circle cue balls I carry. 5.98 OZ and 5.96 OZ. I also have a couple blue circle balls from the 60s. 5.96 OZ. These will go through a cluster in 14.1 and come out the other side.
For the most part, it's a waste of breath trying to tell many players why the cue ball reacts the way it does. The next day, they're there playing with the same old worn out measles ball and trying to perfect their 7 rail trick kick shot on a hanging ball.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
quality and knock offs

A lot of knock off measle balls out there now. I found mine from a reputable source rolled long compared to a red circle cue ball. Interactions with object balls seemed to indicate it was a little heavier. It played enough differently I wouldn't practice with it. Get in tune with it and it would throw off my red circle game until I readjusted. I don't like to have to be thinking about hitting the cue ball a little harder or softer due to the one I am using. There are some very light measle balls out there too that were selling for six or eight dollars.

I think the best answer is to dance with the one that brought you. Can't always do that in a commercial establishment but I was surprised how much better even a cheap set of balls played than the ones in the pool hall. A close look at the balls in the tray at the hall showed I was playing with balls from at least three different sets plus probably a different cue ball.

Hate to recommend buying from china but with the price of a cue ball and a complete set of the lowest priced Dynasphere balls I would buy the complete set and roll.

If I were to buy a cue ball alone it would be a red circle from a quality vendor, just because it is the one I usually encounter at halls.

Hu

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The measles ball is the worst. The ones I have seen are smaller and lighter. That's why a ball banger can draw the ball 4 feet. They take an unnatural angle off a cut shot, due to being light. Deflection is increased. People with no stroke love them. Spectators with no knowledge of pool say "wow" to the spinning dots, as if they're watching a world champion. The shooter spins his cue like an airplane propeller and he's happy with his high run of 4 balls.
I just weighed 2 red circle cue balls I carry. 5.98 OZ and 5.96 OZ. I also have a couple blue circle balls from the 60s. 5.96 OZ. These will go through a cluster in 14.1 and come out the other side.
For the most part, it's a waste of breath trying to tell many players why the cue ball reacts the way it does. The next day, they're there playing with the same old worn out measles ball and trying to perfect their 7 rail trick kick shot on a hanging ball.

Best reply so far!!!! :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

I gotta see if I can run 4 balls using my Measles ball, can I start with BIH??

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LOL WUT? ::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have four different cue balls. The one that came with the Centennial set, a red circle, Aramith Measles, and a Cyclops "Measles". I just practice with whichever one is going to be used in the next tournament in which I play. I switch up between all four on a regular basis.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It really depends on what type of chalk you’re using.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play the most with red circle. It’s what the two places I play at the most use. I do like the measle ball, Aramith tournament with the black logo, and the centennial cue ball. Don’t have issues switching to any of those. Only cue balls I really dislike are all the cyclop but I dislike cyclop balls in general. I did play with a old aramith red triangle once that was terrible but I’ve only seen one of those.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Personally no preference, what's on the table gets used. Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.

Think is what on the table effect everyone who is playing with that particular set, or CB.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5.6 ounce is the generic red circle cue ball, not the Aramith Super Pro. The ones that are same color as Rempe Training Ball.

Don’t know what you mean by “generic red circle cue ball” - do you mean a counterfeit red circle? Because it is a fact that a new, genuine Aramith Red circle cue ball will weigh at least 5.9oz/187g.