What cue material don't you like????

9bizzle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, it would have to be lead. The thought of a thirty pound cue just doesn't do it for me. Plus, you can't lick your cue, and I've already had to swear off of paint chips so I'm going to lick my cue. Of course, that was just a poor attempt at humor and seriously, I would also say purpleheart has never been a favorite. There are other things that I don't like in general on a cue, but then again, almost anything used in the right way can really work and look good. I suppose even purpleheart if used in a certain context could work well on a cue.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Plastic colored rings.
Thick nickel rings.
Pearl rings.
Soft woods as v-points.
Rounded points.

Wayward

Registered
Red-colored woods like purpleheart, odd butt caps like those on Sailor cues or the metal butt caps on Cuetec cues, SS half-joints, CNC points, floating points, malachite and turquoise, brass and gold inlays, imitation ivory, inlaid shafts, lizard wraps, artistic cues.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never really liked bacote wood. There are a few cues I have seen it on but for the most part, nope. I also don't like points that come close to the joint. I would much rather see some space for the forearm to live.

I am surprised at how many people don't like purpleheart.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Delrin...not all types/colors, just the stuff that's sort of translucent, or at least it looks that way to me. Not a fan of recon turquoise or malachite.

thrash attack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After thinking about it I hate almost everything. Purpleheart, MOP, bacote, floating points, tuxedo cues, brass, flame veneers, all wraps aside from linen and cork, cues that use weight bolts,and excessive use of ivory. I'm sure I could think of more. I really like simple 4-8 point 4 veneer cues though.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I don't like turquoise, malachite, abalone and for some reason while I do like ivory Hoppe rings and ferrules I don't like ivory inlays or joints. I also have never seen a cue with floating points that I liked.

To be quite honest any cue that I own will have some sort of maple forearm (curly, BEM, quilted or burl). Any other wood as a forearm just isn't for me. Not saying I don't think a cue can look great with another forearm wood....just saying that it isn't for me.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Me personally, I dont like G10 pins, brass rings, terquoise. Not a huge fan of alot of ebony on a cue. If there is ebony, I like other materials to compliment the ebony. But to me if its 90% ebony, it just doesnt do anything to me. Dont get me wrong, its a pretty wood, but for my taste, I wouldnt buy a mostly ebony cue.

Oh yea, MOP, Delrin, flame veneers, floating points

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
Metal butt-caps, rubber grips, plastic inlays, pearl-oid, black with white specs linen (all black much better), CNC round 'pseudo-veneered' points, decals, 'ebonized' maple. Malachite and turquoise are difficult to use tastefully.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Sea urchin wraps really stick in my craw.
Depleted uranium joints and tips would be my second choice.
Metal shafts are my most amusing choice.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Sea urchin wraps really stick in my craw.
Depleted uranium joints and tips would be my second choice.
Metal shafts are my most amusing choice.

I personally HATE joint pins made from baby sea lion bones beat to death by a baseball bat....For some reason it gives the bone/pin a softer hit....Now give me a pin made from porcupine penis bone...and I am happy!

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I've never cared for Purple heart wood in a cue used as the forearm or butt sleeve. It looks ok used as inlays in some cues, but too much of it is overpowering to me. I have seen some cues that looked good with purple heart wood due to the design, but if I was to order a new cue I wouldn't use it.......

James

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Looking at cues in the for sale forum for so long I have come to the point that I just roll over the thread title and if I see cues that have certain materials in them I just keep on surfing. :D

Cues with turquoise or purpleheart are just a no-no for me. I don't know what it is about either material really but I don't like them in cues. I hear great things though about purpleheart cues from a performance standpoint but just can seem to take a liking to them aesthetically. Turquoise has never been a choice for me in anything really. :grin-square:

What material/materials used in cues whether it be for performance or aesthetics just keeps you from liking the overall cue?????

Thanks for all the replies!! I am just asking to see what people like or don't like overall. This might help cuemakers out there as well.

Gary

Gary,

I thought I was the only one in the world that didn't like Turquoise or Purpleheart in a cue. That's amazing that you would pick the only two things that I don't care for in a cue.

You must have great taste in other things! :D

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally HATE joint pins made from baby sea lion bones beat to death by a baseball bat....For some reason it gives the bone/pin a softer hit....Now give me a pin made from porcupine penis bone...and I am happy!

That would be a ***** wouldn't it?

do not like

Round points
Floaters :D
Malachite
MOP
Turquoise
Linen
Lizard
Bumperless
huge white plastic butt caps
Ferruless
inlaid shafts
Metal joints
Chrome butt caps (reminds me of those cheap looking Cadillac wheels)