What do you do here?? 14.1 question

PoolFool

Judge me by my size do u?
Silver Member
This really is a very playable break shot. As Steve has said,"Straight pool is an aggressive game." I end up with this shot I'd say maybe once in every 20 games and is usually due to either poor planning, execution or both. Although it looks tough it's not as difficult as it seems. Playing with straight follow and and a medium hard stroke usually does the trick for me. Playing safe is not recommended in my opinion because so many different variables could happen leading to your opponnent beating you to a shot. There is no feeling worse when you initiate a saftey sequence and end up giving up the table... well that and missing a break shot and smashing the rack wide open.

Funny story too... Not 2 days ago my opponent needed 23 balls to win and I needed 48; where I go to 150 and he goes to 75. Needless to say, he opted to play safe on this very shot and after a few safeties back and forth I find a shot and run the 48 to get out. He never got back to the table and told me he had no chance to win. I told him he did; he just didn't take it.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
lockwood said:
Hello all,
If you only need a few, I would make the 5 ball with slow to medium speed and come two rails clipping the bottom of the rack opening just one or two balls and drift towards the short rail. The harder you hit it the more likely you miss the 5 and/or scratch off the side of the rack. Try it. Best of luck.
JS

Lock-man,
Because of the angle and the 2-rail path; the ball had to be struck very hard to have any steam left by the time it got to the rack. As noted above, the cue ball struck the rack very high and JUST had enough speed to trickle below the stack - only 2 or 3 balls came loose (and barely at that).

DABABE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore

Willie; if George is playing straight pool at DCC, tell him bring a stack of cash. George shoots the 5 well as that is what I usually give him.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
DABABE said:

Willie; if George is playing straight pool at DCC, tell him bring a stack of cash. George shoots the 5 well as that is what I usually give him.

Babe,
I have only seen George play straight pool on one occasion. At Chalkies he grabbed a house cue of the wall, then ran a 45 from the opening break playing opposite handed (very tight 9 foot Diamonds). His next inning he played one-handed, jacked up running a 43. I was down 88 - 0 before ever scoring a ball.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Could someone tell me how it's possible to hit the bottom of the rack shooting the 5 at that angle? Unless you use inside english here which is kind of insane... Well, maybe not for Thorsten...

Greatest thread since sjm's Varner safety scenario, btw. Illustrious posters all...

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
Could someone tell me how it's possible to hit the bottom of the rack shooting the 5 at that angle? Unless you use inside english here which is kind of insane... Well, maybe not for Thorsten...

Greatest thread since sjm's Varner safety scenario, btw. Illustrious posters all...

Lewd-man,
This wei table is incapable of showing fine gradations of angle (even if I could remember the exact angle). For most variations of this break shot, you can get away with straight top - a little experimentation with cue ball placement will show you the limits (outside of which English must be used to assure hitting the pack).

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say that you have to go for the shot. You're playing a world class player, you don't have a defensive option that doesn't leave a good reply, and you only need TWO balls to win (no pun intended).:)

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
VIProfessor said:
I'd say that you have to go for the shot. You're playing a world class player, you don't have a defensive option that doesn't leave a good reply, and you only need TWO balls to win (no pun intended).:)

Prof,
Needed two, went for it, made it and 1 more, won the game - I think I may retire.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Prof,
Needed two, went for it, made it and 1 more, won the game - I think I may retire.

Willie my bro, I know it felt good. Makes the game worth playing, doesn't it?

Happy New Year!

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Lewd-man,
This wei table is incapable of showing fine gradations of angle (even if I could remember the exact angle). For most variations of this break shot, you can get away with straight top - a little experimentation with cue ball placement will show you the limits (outside of which English must be used to assure hitting the pack).
Willie, congratulations on pulling that one off. Especially on tough equipment.

You're right, I'd have to be at the table to really know where the cueball is aiming. Did you hit the bottom of the stack? If so, I certainly see the equity in that needing only one more ball and shooting a low percentage shot.

The way the diagram looks to me, the cueball is coming off close to the corner pocket, and plus it will pick up some spin off the cut and off that first rail, so the top of the stack looked like the only possibility if you play it with just tops and any kind of speed.

One thing is for sure, a player my level should not be using any english on this shot. None!

P.S. My intial reaction is play safe, sjm's safety looks best. But after this debate, I'm convinced you took the right shot.

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
DABABE said:
And your point?

DB,
My point is that if you and George are going to play some straight pool, you should bring a very, very, large stack of cash (even though he "doesn't play" the game).

See you at DCC (dinner on Thursday at a very nice local restaurant is on me; we leave immediately after the afternoon matches; the whole crew is invited - I'll let you know the details when I see you).

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Go for it ...

If you make it, you only need 1 then. I would shoot the breakout long, meaning hitting where the 2/13/14 are in hopes of tapping a ball towards the end rail with the cue settling in around the lower left corner thereabouts, and shoot the ball into the upper left corner for the win.

And Wille, keep your skirt down, we don't want to know what's underneath ....:eek: :eek: :eek:

lockwood

lockwood
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Lock-man,
Because of the angle and the 2-rail path; the ball had to be struck very hard to have any steam left by the time it got to the rack. As noted above, the cue ball struck the rack very high and JUST had enough speed to trickle below the stack - only 2 or 3 balls came loose (and barely at that).

Yes I understand. I am saying that you should be aiming for the bottom of the stack and just hit it softly enough to open two or three balls.
JS

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
lockwood said:
Yes I understand. I am saying that you should be aiming for the bottom of the stack and just hit it softly enough to open two or three balls.
JS

Lock-man,
What you don't understand is that I'm lucky to just hit the pack at all:) :) . To choose a specific location on the pack on a shot like this is WELL beyond my skill level (???well beyond anyone's skill level??). Unless the cue ball is very close to the midline, it is hard to get enough steam to knock any more than 2 or 3 balls out. JMO. On this particular shot, you would have needed to shoot at 9-ball break speed to get significant spread on the pack (and I did not choose to use THAT much power).

Last edited:

lockwood

lockwood
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Lock-man,
What you don't understand is that I'm lucky to just hit the pack at all:) :) . To choose a specific location on the pack on a shot like this is WELL beyond my skill level (???well beyond anyone's skill level??). Unless the cue ball is very close to the midline, it is hard to get enough steam to knock any more than 2 or 3 balls out. JMO. On this particular shot, you would have needed to shoot at 9-ball break speed to get significant spread on the pack (and I did not choose to use THAT much power).

This question is more about self-discovery than trying to figure out the "correct shot." I am very interested in learning how others see this.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Here is an actual situation from a recent game - it's gut check time.

You are in a game with a former #1 player, straight pool expert. You are ahead 148 - 63 (we will NOT mention the size of the spot you received, it's just too embarrassing and demoralizing). This is the stellar break shot you have left yourself. Do you go for it, or play safe?? Your opponent is DEFINITELY capable of running out the game their next inning or two; and is an accomplished safety player. It is your own table, medium tough equipment.

This question is more about self-discovery than trying to figure out the "correct shot." I am very interested in learning how others see this.

Hi Willie,
A very similar situation occurred when I was playing Archer in the last group game in the WPC last June. I had left a ball slightly above the rack for a side break shot but on this particular table they had used a sardo rack to draw the line! :eek: After some debate the ball was placed on the spot similar to the position in the diagram, Archer replied word's to the effect of "that's perfect for you". I went for the shot and made it but missed the rack slightly so had to place safe.

Interesting though that his immediate reaction was was mine was that its perfect angle and you should go for the shot.

PS
however given this was your first shot on the table willieorwonthe after your 148 spot I think a safe may have been the wise choice? hehe :D ;)

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Although I have to admit I'm not much of a 14.1 expert, it seems to me that the exact score is very relevant here. You need exactly two balls, one of which is a makeable shot right in front of you. The way I see it, there are two ways you could lose: you could miss the five and break the balls up and sell out, or you could lose a safety battle to their superior defensive skills and they'll finish the game without allowing you ANY minute offensive opportunity.

I say take the first one out of play by not breaking the rack. Call safe and cinch the 5, and you need ONE for the win. At that point your opponent is in a terrible spot, needing to execute every defensive shot to perfection, not only leaving you no offensive openings, but not even leaving a single ball you can conceivably pick off! Furthermore, every shot they leave you is especially makeable because you don't have to play position. I like those odds, especially with the burden on them to play the first safety. They leave a ball out of the stack after that safety, you win. They let the CB drift an extra inch on a subsequent safe, you win. They miss a ball, you win. I think it's a far higher-percentage proposition than taking a tough shot and breaking the rack for them.

-Andrew