What Do You Hate To See In A Cue?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
iconcue said:
i can fill you in on the dolphin cue. it's another one of mark kulungian's cues.
he was appearently responsible for the photo on motteys as well as the bushka's, gus's (all one of them - guess who's?), barry's , tascarella's, paradise, and possibly mcdaniel as well. i'm sure sean could say for sure on mcdaniel. they are easily picked out because of the layout and overall poor quality of photo.
as far as lack of pictures, martyne bachmen withheld a lot of pics that were taken prior to her being canned as co-author. she even has some of them posted on her website chalkers.com. including 3 of my cues. also included is a pic of 5 gus cues.
you have probably heard she plans to come out with her own book on cues. she has hit a lot of people up for money to invest in her book.

Jeff,
Mark says sorry you don't like the photos, but with his equipment thats all he could do. Plus he had to do it within a certain timeframe and so-so photos are better than none. You're correct, alot of those were done because some photos supposedly came up missing. I don't believe the Barry's are Marks. Some of the Tascarellas are Marks and some were Petes in progress stuff.

Joe

icon

Banned
classiccues said:
Jeff,
Mark says sorry you don't like the photos, but with his equipment thats all he could do. Plus he had to do it within a certain timeframe and so-so photos are better than none. You're correct, alot of those were done because some photos supposedly came up missing. I don't believe the Barry's are Marks. Some of the Tascarellas are Marks and some were Petes in progress stuff.

Joe
joe, i offered mark and brad both help with getting pics as well as cues to use and there was plenty of time. you could get those pics done and sent in a day if needed. i did take several black & whites for the book at deno's request.
i know the no.100 barry is marks because he told me it was. <this is in fact not correct - i was mistaken)
the photos didnt come up missing they were withheld by the couple paid to take them. like i mentioned previously you can see four of them on chalkers web site.
but it's not your job to defend mark and i know that.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
skins said:
anyone who knows cues would be blessed to be "STUCK" with any Szamboti cue.

I don't think this whole schtick is about who makes the best cues anyway, because being the "best" is just an opinion, and face it, the name brand cue makers today are all the " best " at what they specialize in.

But that's not the point.

They're all the "best" but they are not all the best collectible. In 30 or 50 years there will be a lot of cue makers who will be forgotten. Their names will invariably be greeted with the response of "who?". If I ever live to see that day, I would like to be stuck with every last Szamboti on the planet.

Chris

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
TATE said:
I don't think this whole schtick is about who makes the best cues anyway, because being the "best" is just an opinion, and face it, the name brand cue makers today are all the " best " at what they specialize in.

But that's not the point.

They're all the "best" but they are not all the best collectible. In 30 or 50 years there will be a lot of cue makers who will be forgotten. Their names will invariably be greeted with the response of "who?". If I ever live to see that day, I would like to be stuck with every last Szamboti on the planet.

Chris
Tap, tap, tap.
You might wanna have my sneaky too.
Since it's already crooked, you don't have to worry about leaving in the trunk of your car while driving around SoCal during Sta Ana wind days.:eek:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
Tap, tap, tap.
You might wanna have my sneaky too.
Since it's already crooked, you don't have to worry about leaving in the trunk of your car while driving around SoCal during Sta Ana wind days.:eek:

ha, good one joey - But I think I might like to have one and everyone else here might like one too - that was the coolest looking splice I have ever seen.

Chris

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iconcue said:
hey roge!

jimbo must be your idol!

copying his manner of posting right down to the bold colored font!

YOU are the one that made it personal by bringing my personal cues into it!

When you want to show off your cues you open yourself up to critique, all he did was comment on the inlays in the cues you were showing off, my advice is if you only want to hear people kiss your ass about how nice the cues are just show them to your family. Roger may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but in this thread he's not wrong.
You pulling those pictures off the site is a joke.
It's really funny that you seem to want to attack Roger for his post about Barry yet when he said the same thing about Mr. Black you didn't have a problem. LOL
I laugh every time people try to censor other people's opinions.

Jim

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alpine9430 said:
Ken
Did not notice you on the list of those attending.
Where are you going to be?
Would love to stop by and see any Szamboti's you may have...

I will have 2 boothes in the lower level at the hopkins show. They haven't posted my booth name yet on the site.. It should be listed under HIGHENDCUES, also will have a booth selling George cases...
I'll have to see what Barry can finish for me by that time...
Look foward to seeing you there...
Best,
Ken Kerner
www.highendcues.com

Sniper 55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Know this is a old Thread but I Like the Topic,, I tried a Search and could not find any newer ones but if you know of one can you please message me a link Thank You

i Hate

Screw on Tips

Ivory Joint Sleeve or Cues with too much ivory

Linen Wrap with any White in the Mix also Clear Coat over the Linen Wrap (meucci)

Bumperless Cues

These New Synthetic Rubber Grip Wraps With exception of Break Cues i Don't Mind

Fiberglass & Graphite Shaft With exception of Break Cues

Uni-Loc

Any Cues more then 2 Pieces With exception of Jump/Break Cues

Please don't get madd at me these are all personal Preference and if we all liked the same things it would be a boring World,, Keep Knocking those balls around and having Fun

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
Honestly I could care less for the traditional type of inlays...

I really don't care for inlays in general. I just like nice wood combinations.

Keith Joseys inlays are some of the most ridiculous things out there but I do like quite a number of his designs, but I can see why people don't.

Propellers, razor blade inlays, all of the older stuff really isn't up my alley.

I like a nice plain jane with really exotic wood. Nothing more nothing less. Points/recuts are fine. Veneers if the color scheme is great and points are sharp and even.

I really hate wrapped cues as well. :barf:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Round points

4 point with venneers

glue lines in veneers

sloppy execution in general

piloted joints

Sniper 55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Round points

4 point with venneers

glue lines in veneers

sloppy execution in general

piloted joints

Just Curious why do you hate piloted joints? I Wrote that I hate Uni-Loc and that's because two people on my pool team have em and I always see them checking there cue to see if its Tight and one of the cues is only a year old but he breaks with it,, and I feel that if you have to keep checking your cue before every shot its taking away some Focus

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I thought I was pretty easygoing when it comes to cues, but once I started making a list, I couldn't stop coming up with stuff I hate.

Overuse of ivory, abalone, turquoise, etc.
Floating points
Stained maple (esp. unnatural colors like blue)
Lizard leather wraps esp. on titlist conversions and Tads
Visible sugar marks near the front end of shafts
Shafts that have crazy high deflection
Super-white shafts that look like they've been bleached
Inlays and designs on shafts
Very tight-fitting joints
Putting wraps over beautiful figured wood
Cutting inlays into beautiful figured wood
Messy, rushed cuemaker signatures
"1 of 1" written on a cue
"Tribute" cues that are just exact copies of other makers' cue designs
Pink/purple veneers
Box designs in the forearm
Butt sleeve inlays that are completely different the forearm inlays
Hoppe ring combined with other inlays in the butt sleeve (do one or the other!)
Expensive, beautiful joint caps (I'm an idiot and can't stop losing them)
Shaped or countoured handles
Cue that have only "hit a few racks" or been "test hit" and yet the shafts are clearly stained with chalk.

That's all for now, more to come later when I feel like it.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
I don't like finish over a linen wrap, those "stack leather wraps" (the ones Porper did like a Randall knife handle are cool though), that pearlized plastic stuff, clear windows with stuff like foil underneath.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Just Curious why do you hate piloted joints? I Wrote that I hate Uni-Loc and that's because two people on my pool team have em and I always see them checking there cue to see if its Tight and one of the cues is only a year old but he breaks with it,, and I feel that if you have to keep checking your cue before every shot its taking away some Focus

I've never played a cue with a piloted joint that played well. AND if you have done your work correctly, and made a cue fully concentric or centered, why does it need a piloted joint? In addition a greater contact area (from a flat faced joint) should equate to better energy transfer, thus giving better hit. UNI-LOC is complete GARBAGE!!!! Worst joint ever invented. PURE SHIT.

Of course this is just my opinion, A LOT of people disagree. To each his own...

I also am not a fan of ivory in cues. I think it's over priced, and I think elk antler looks way cooler!

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In no particular order:

Cues that are made of more ivory than wood.
Rounded points.
Wood combinations that are very similar in color... neither wood stands out... how about some contrast?
Cues that don't have a main "theme" because there are too many different design elements.
"Flame" veneers... not that it's a bad look, just overdone IMO.
Too much turquoise or abalone... very small amounts are OK... once it starts taking the spotlight, it doesn't look good to me.
Darker, or "golden," shades of maple... I just like the look of light maple much better... it acts as a better canvas.
Sloppy cue maker signatures... I know I'm not the first to say it, but I agree.
Black/White ringtail lizard wraps on non-tuxedo cues... I just don't get it.

I guess that's all... for now ;)

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Here's my short list...

1. over the top "busy" design elements beyond normal veneers, points, etc
2. I was going to say wraps in general because I prefer a wrapless cue, but it's not the look I dislike as much as the feel so as far as looks go I'll just say I don't like cues with white wraps.
3. The use of precious metals or stones
4. Plain jane joint collars without any kind of rings or inlays
5. Sneaky petes in general
6. Cues with a lot of heavy staining on the forearm...prefer very little or unstained
7. Cues with a lot of points (more than 4)
8. This kind of relates to 7 and I'll probably catch heat, but I've never liked the look of Southwest cues. The alternating short and long points upset my sense of symmetry and proportion.

Sniper 55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played a cue with a piloted joint that played well. AND if you have done your work correctly, and made a cue fully concentric or centered, why does it need a piloted joint? In addition a greater contact area (from a flat faced joint) should equate to better energy transfer, thus giving better hit. UNI-LOC is complete GARBAGE!!!! Worst joint ever invented. PURE SHIT.

Of course this is just my opinion, A LOT of people disagree. To each his own...

I also am not a fan of ivory in cues. I think it's over priced, and I think elk antler looks way cooler!

00oo OK I was just Curious I never played with a Piloted joint and I always stayed away from buying one because I noticed not a lot of after market Shafts companies make that joint Type,,, But thanks for Sharing your opinion

Last edited:

Fat Jonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it's only apropos that I follow a guy with an avatar of of one of the great bands of the 70's-The Splits. They are right up there with The Stones, Who and others of that time period.
GO FLEAGLE!
But seriously, after reading JUST THE FIRST two pages of this thread, of what everyone hates, I'm just wondering if there's anything beside blonde, brunette or redhead to stick up for...?
I do believe some of you won't even eat broccoli!!!!!
And yet, somehow, the GREEN keeps you somewhat in agreeable form and you put aside your differences for the game...
Rounded points!?
NO WAY!;)