What Do You Look For in a Pool Instructor

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Don't lump me into that awful diagram of urs in any way lol. But i'm more than good dropping this detour of a topic as it seems you won't get it anyway.
Clearly one of us won't.

I'm with you on the pool side tho, I think whether you use a trace of side or simply play centerball and adjust more for CIT, I think you can get pretty much the same results and the style comes down to preference. If often dealing with sticky dirty equipment, I think the value of spin goes up.
(y)

Are we sure this horse is dead enough?

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'm with you on the pool side tho, I think whether you use a trace of side or simply play centerball and adjust more for CIT, I think you can get pretty much the same results and the style comes down to preference. If often dealing with sticky dirty equipment, I think the value of spin goes up.
Here's some food for thought. Do you think the comparison to putting spin on the golf ball for various reasons could also be done with a CB when using a partial or full masse? What comes to mind that's similar?
I can think of the huge tree right in the middle of the 18th fairway at Pebble Beach where drives can get blocked if it gets back there.
Ya gotta hit a draw off the tree but not too much that it goes into the rocks or ocean.

When might masses be used for spin that's better than a straight shot in pool? Google "pool masse shots on youtube"
(bringing it back to pool)

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When might masses be used for spin that's better than a straight shot in pool? Google "pool masse shots on youtube"
(bringing it back to pool)
Assuming there's a straight path to the intended CB/OB contact point (that you're choosing not to take)...

Masse is inherently harder to be accurate with, so I think the only use might be if you need a different angle of approach for shape. Interested to hear other ideas...

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Assuming there's a straight path to the intended CB/OB contact point (that you're choosing not to take)...

Masse is inherently harder to be accurate with, so I think the only use might be if you need a different angle of approach for shape. Interested to hear other ideas...

pj
chgo
This guy doesn't find it extremely hard to be accurate with masse for making balls. Maybe it can be said that the CB and the head of a golf club are similar and being manipulated to get the flight/roll/curve needed. While the cue is like the golf shaft. Or, maybe it's a crappy comparison to begin with. Kinda makes some sense though but a stretch.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think we can bury golf as a comparison to typical pool games. The big deal is that there are unlimited extra shots in golf. I think you can stop after about nine strokes according to some rules but that is far more tries than you get playing pool. Compare your approach shot to playing shape in pool. Now you have one stroke for all of the marbles. How would you play that approach shot?

This is one of the few times a dot graph would be handy. Instead of just a circle, we would see where each of maybe a hundred shots went for a player. If less than ten shots went to the far left of my circle then moving that fixed line over a little past the hole seems reasonable. If five or less shots went into the left quarter of the circle, I am moving my fixed line well past the hole. I'll take 19:1 odds all day long! Too, I am moving the furthest part of my pattern closer to the hole increasing my odds of one stroking the ball in the hole. All of my pattern is closer making most shots easier.

More factors than we can define would make the final decision on the shot. How bad is the far side of the hole? Where am I at in the standings? Where is my toughest competition at? How are they likely to play this hole?

I was playing one pocket with a stranger. Both of us had played one pocket before so there was a lot of moving going on. He made a teaser move, fairly advanced. The cue ball was frozen on the foot rail the object ball out about a diamond. Make it and I was going to make four or five balls, hang it in the jaws and my opponent might be out. I looked at the shot. A true ninety degree shot to center pocket. When it isn't a total sellout I often elevate the back of my cue a little into a semi-masse to give me a few degrees by curving the cue ball slightly while maintaining excellent accuracy at short to medium range. Then I considered, I can enter the pocket brushing the far jaw. Calculations done, this isn't worse than an eighty-seven degree shot, might even be an eighty-five degree shot when I consider the semi-masse and cheating the pocket. Decision made, I fired that puppy in like a hanger! Fired it in was right, I wasn't going to run out of steam in the jaws. The cue ball rocketed around the table and stopped eight or ten inches above the foot spot. Duck hunting time! I was going to make three or four of my balls, then bank one that was near his hole very possibly making it and that shot would take two more balls out of play for him.

The man was astonished. "You would have sold out everything if you missed!" Sounded a bit cocky but I told him that I hadn't planned on missing. It was true though, once I realized that I had at least three degrees to work with I knew I could make the shot. If I had as much as five degrees to work with it was a walk in the park.

I took the other player's bait and seemed to play the wrong shot. My opinion, while there is always some risk playing teaser shots, he left too much there. A quick glance and I would have rejected the shot. Only when I considered all factors did I understand the other player had pooped in his nest. The key, like with many tough shots, was to approach the shot with confidence and shoot the shot with a firm stroke. A tentative shot was unlikely to succeed.

Off topic by now but I would like to spend a half day or so with a wily old player that saw dead balls and knew how to shoot them. Often balls are only dead if you know how to shoot the shot offered.

Hu

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Do you think he'd choose masse if there was a straight path available?

pj
chgo
Of course not. But in golf there isn't a body part or muscle that goes unused in each swing of the club to hit the ball. And they have to be synchronized and trained to move a certain coordinated way. The pool stroke is pretty much from the elbow down to the hands and fingers. That's it other than the break shot. There's no comparison as to which sport is more difficult to learn and play. I will say to make it to the highest level in both sports is extremely tough.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think we can bury golf as a comparison to typical pool games.
Probably true.
The big deal is that there are unlimited extra shots in golf. I think you can stop after about nine strokes according to some rules but that is far more tries than you get playing pool.
No such thing unless it's a game for total hackers playing golf and they made their own rules up. Golf is based on PAR. You have par 3's, par 4's, and par 5's. The number of strokes that it SHOULD take for that given hole. Less is even better and they're called a birdie (one under par), or eagle (two under par).
There are different names for "over par" but it doesn't matter because I'm not going to take time listing them. What DOESN'T
happen is a "MERCY" number like you stated about nine strokes. Not in the official rules of golf. You count EVERY stroke!
Compare your approach shot to playing shape in pool. Now you have one stroke for all of the marbles. How would you play that approach shot?
It wouldn't be called an approach shot. One stroke for all the marbles is a PUTT. You play it with a putter and try to knock it into the hole. It might be the same as having 4 nine foot pool tables placed end to end stretching out to 36' with no end rails to stop the CB. It would also have wood under some of the legs to make it roll uneven to the right or left which you'd have to calculate when striking the CB to make it break into the hole of the last pool table. That's what putting on a green at a golf course is all about. Actually, there are 18 of them you have to do it with. Some roll fast like new Simonis and others run slow
like old thick felt. Easy, huh?

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
So you agree a curved shot is less accurate?

pj
chgo
Nope. It can be MORE accurate if the tendency is to hit it with a hook or slice, or play it that way with a hook or slice on purpose for the shot to be in the fairway. It's been said over and over that the hardest shot to hit in golf is a dead straight shot.
You have to allow as much room as possible to either one side or the other for a mishit shot or planned shot.
If you had ever played golf or tried to play golf, you would know this and not going down the path you're going with what you
"think" is right. Actually, there are a lot of areas in golf that are counter intuitive. You just don't get it and never will. Besides,
you're too damn old to even try. You could end up in traction at a local hospital.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It's been said over and over that the hardest shot to hit in golf is a dead straight shot.
And yet it's harder to hit the target dead on with a curved shot - just like in pool.

To hit a specific target with a curved shot you have to hit it in a precise initial direction, just like a straight shot - and then you also have to judge/control the curve.

If a player’s better at curved shots that's him, not the curve.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably true.

No such thing unless it's a game for total hackers playing golf and they made their own rules up. Golf is based on PAR. You have par 3's, par 4's, and par 5's. The number of strokes that it SHOULD take for that given hole. Less is even better and they're called a birdie (one under par), or eagle (two under par).
There are different names for "over par" but it doesn't matter because I'm not going to take time listing them. What DOESN'T
happen is a "MERCY" number like you stated about nine strokes. Not in the official rules of golf.

Might have been a local rule. Might have been nine over par too. I don't know. They were talking about Mulligans and such too, which seems to be a mercy rule.

A funny, I was visiting my cousin a few states over. Her husband came in from playing golf. He was pumped! He had scored two eagles, a sprinkling of birdies, had a great day. Trying to share that with me was like trying to tell him I ran a sixpack.

It wouldn't be called an approach shot. One stroke for all the marbles is a PUTT. You play it with a putter and try to knock it into the hole. It might be the same as having 4 nine foot pool tables placed end to end stretching out to 36' with no end rails to stop the CB. It would also have wood under some of the legs to make it roll uneven to the right or left which you'd have to calculate when striking the CB to make it break into the hole of the last pool table. That's what putting on a green at a golf course is all about. Actually, there are 18 of them you have to do it with. Some roll fast like new Simonis and others run slow

Anything I know about golf is decades old. I heard the commentators referring to the shot to get to the putting green as the approach shot. My running partner played golf and tennis, worked on golf clubs and tennis rackets too. Listening to other people talk or the rare times I was trapped into watching it on TV are the only times I heard about or saw golf. I might watch the final few holes or a playoff by choice. I like to watch people under pressure regardless of what they are doing. When there is enough money between first and second place to buy a house and they are trying to get a funny looking jacket it gets interesting. Kinda like olympic sports. I may not care about the sport itself but the competitors can be interesting. Remember Olga?

I did watch hours of golf one day. I think it was a major event somewhere in the UK. There was a huge swag in the green, closest thing I can think of to describe it would be when the big ocean swells are rolling in. They decided it would be a good idea to put the cup maybe five feet down from the top of this trough. You either holed out or you watched your ball roll back and forth awhile. When you got to shoot again, uphill from the bottom of the trough, you made the putt or you watched your ball roll back and forth again. I think some players went five or six over on that one hole. They did move the cup again after that day's play, no more fun for spectators! One or two players did hit that cup from fifty feet out or further, the best way to not go gray, grey?, or bald playing that one hole!

A few balls managed to hang on the grade but then a player was trying to read a severe side to side grade. They had to hit the ball hard to fight the grade but then they had to center the cup perfectly to get the ball in the cup. Lip the cup and watch the ball roll back and forth awhile.

I'll match your tough putting greens with dirt tracks. Ever changing, very tough conditions sometimes, and you are the ball! One track had a habit of things coming up out of it while racing. They put whatever was handy to rough in the shape of the track banking and then put a little dirt over it. The entire roof of a car came up in a turn one night, fortunately it was firmly attached to the car beneath it! Another night a piece of wood was coming out of the track. When somebody centered it we discovered it was a huge stump! A wrecker pulled it out leaving a hole in the track the size of a small car. No way to fix the track so it was just a matter of stay out of the hole in between turns one and two that night. Mostly people came to that track to fight, squeezing in an occasional race between fights. The Frog Pond as we called it was a barrel of fun! I have to admit if I wasn't with a car I sat in the stands with both hands firmly in my lap!

Another track, the track developed washboard style ripples for well over a hundred feet in a big sweeping 180 degree turn, technically turns three and four. For several months I tried to find a car set-up and path through the washboard. I would be working my steering wheel all over the place trying to find some bite with the front wheels then when I finally got to the other end of the washboard my car would alter direction drastically depending on where I had the front wheels pointed which I of course had no idea about until I found traction. The only solution I found was to pick the spot I wanted to come out of turn four at, aim at it going into turn three, then just hold my steering wheel straight while the washboard had it's way with me and the car. It still flung me out the other side out of shape but at least I knew where my front wheels were pointing!

Hu

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The best instructors always have the best instructional technology.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
There's still a problem with competence.

The student using the instructional technology will be able to see what was unseen before.

An aiming ball is a classic example and makes visualizing easier.

The overhead projection system is another.

Instruction does not have to translate to instant skill growth all the time. A good instructional plan will program growth for any player.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The student using the instructional technology will be able to see what was unseen before.

An aiming ball is a classic example and makes visualizing easier.

The overhead projection system is another.

Instruction does not have to translate to instant skill growth all the time. A good instructional plan will program growth for any player.
In and of itself that's how the curriculum factories work. They crank out the hordes and rubber stamp them for sale to employers. Instruction for the mastery of something is a far more complex system than a couple basic epiphanies.

dquarasr

Registered
Probably true.

happen is a "MERCY" number like you stated about nine strokes. Not in the official rules of golf. You count EVERY stroke!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After dredging through so much garbage, I've come to a conclusion....

NOT A SINGLE ONE OF YOU WOULD MAKE A GOOD INSTRUCTOR!!!

I feel like I fell head first into a pool related septic tank.