What Do You Look For in a Pool Instructor

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know who my first real Mentor was. Before we considered ourselves true friends I decided to take his lesson course. I think it was $100 for 5 1hr lessons. Of course the lessons went longer, as he loved to talk and teach.
Lesson one he says at the beginning "You're a decent player, except for your Stance, Bridge, and Stroke!!

He's the man right? So I go with the instruction. I went from a below average player to...
Well, lets say we had to lower the X Axis to find where I could be Plotted.
Going off the graph isn't always a good thing.

At any rate I was a believer. After all he received instruction from some pretty significant players who received information from some of the greatest ever. At any rate it took me maybe 90days to find the starting line again. So yes, for sure a lesson can knock you down.

I'm with you on everything but the development of a permanent hitch. Without the facts I'd suspect that's self induced trying to overcome another hitch and the reason the player sought instruction.

I've taken lessons from several people. These days I think the only reason is to learn for learning sake, from someone with special talent in some area. I'd like to spend time with Stan or Geno, just to hear what they have to say. I like simply acquiring knowledge. I kick myself for not taking up Hal's offer to come to his house for a few days. What an opportunity. Not just his aiming.. You know

Anyway as far as Advanced and Pro players. I think (guessing) It comes back to fundamentals. Unless there's some breakthrough game strategy or something, Top players have the skills and knowledge of the game(s) and the Cue Ball.

They don't need lessons! Except..

Sometimes there's a slump and a skilled coach can put their eyes on that situation. Evaluate, test a theory, and then suggest a solution(s). Then evaluate again.

When there's a slump with a Pro Level player, I have to think it's coming from something fundamental. They already know the game(s) and cue action.

The mental can mess up mechanics and vise versa.

You are a pretty capable 3C player, no doubt.

The thing about a hitch is that if you truly believe what you’ve paid for it’s tough to let that go.

Lou Figueroa

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, isn't THAT the truth!! And the one at 740 was at one time at 760 when playing a lot and a little younger. Jealously? Probably but I think more like ignorance and dislike which started 25 or 26 years ago and carried forward to today by only a handful, but they have enough impact and sway to infect many others on a forum.

Great find of this info and post!
Only the sheep.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You know I just don’t know about all that.

Wasn’t there a guy a few years ago selling some sort of instructor accreditation in the For Sale forum here?

Lou Figueroa
I know nothing about that or ever saw it posted or discussed. PM if that's better.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It might just be me, but I like to try something for myself before I endorse or condemn something.

If something doesn't work for me, I try something else. Doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.

A world champion told me something. I tried it with horrible results! After giving it an honest effort I gave it up. About six months later I tried it again. After all, it isn't everyday a world champion gives me free advice. Horrible results once more.

It was probably another year before I tried his advice for the third time. Worked like a bandit! I had to be in a different place in my own development for the advice to work.

Hu

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
You skimmed the video and watched me hit three shots — tells me all I need to know.

You have a long run presented to you that would tell you all you need to know about my game. But it’s not enough. I am to instead pack my bags, travel, and incur expenses for a guy with a short attention span.

Thanks but no.

And eight hours of hours of your time? Was not your your original proposition to improve my game a whole level with an hour of instruction?

Lou Figueroa
You didn't read what I wrote. B to A or Shortstop to Pro in an hour would be an outrageous claim. Some skepticism is appreciated, indeed, it makes for a better lesson--the student is engaged with what I'm asking--but you should at least criticize what I actually wrote.

I'm glad your game improved since that video, but your attitude will hold you back from further improvement.

Also, I didn't say "a free lesson where I watch you do the same mistakes for an hour" I said "I INSTRUCT you for an hour". I could see you in motion before the c.b. hit the o.b. on the whole video at fast speed, and the three strokes I critiqued also. I'm sure that's one of the issues you've repaired to improve, that's a good thing.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You didn't read what I wrote. B to A or Shortstop to Pro in an hour would be an outrageous claim. Some skepticism is appreciated, indeed, it makes for a better lesson--the student is engaged with what I'm asking--but you should at least criticize what I actually wrote.

I'm glad your game improved since that video, but your attitude will hold you back from further improvement.

Also, I didn't say "a free lesson where I watch you do the same mistakes for an hour" I said "I INSTRUCT you for an hour". I could see you in motion before the c.b. hit the o.b. on the whole video at fast speed, and the three strokes I critiqued also. I'm sure that's one of the issues you've repaired to improve, that's a good thing.

You said:

“I will make your game much better in a one-hour lesson. …my claim for the upcoming clinic is you will go up several handicap points/an entire letter ranking in a day, from "C" to "B" and so on:”

Clearly, you were using the C to B as an example. So, nevermind, you’ve revealed your true attitude far more than mine. The outcome you’ve provided us is pretty much the expected crawfishing.

Lou Figueroa

dquarasr

Registered
A world champion told me something. I tried it with horrible results! After giving it an honest effort I gave it up. About six months later I tried it again. After all, it isn't everyday a world champion gives me free advice. Horrible results once more.

It was probably another year before I tried his advice for the third time. Worked like a bandit! I had to be in a different place in my own development for the advice to work.

Hu
In a position to share? 😁

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
This is 5 days old and on topic .
In a position to share? 😁

Somehow I knew that question would come up!(grin)

The truth is that it was many years ago and I don't remember what it was. I think something with the grip but I wouldn't swear to it. Thinking back now it might have been something with the bridge. What I really took away was that what doesn't work today may work tomorrow. After that, if I respected the source I didn't bury information as I had in the past if something didn't work right off.

The advice might have been to tuck the two middle fingers back using an open bridge or something else to make my bridge more stable. My memory ain't the best. This was 20,000 beers ago!

Hu

WobblyStroke

Somehow I knew that question would come up!(grin)

The truth is that it was many years ago and I don't remember what it was. I think something with the grip but I wouldn't swear to it. Thinking back now it might have been something with the bridge. What I really took away was that what doesn't work today may work tomorrow. After that, if I respected the source I didn't bury information as I had in the past if something didn't work right off.

The advice might have been to tuck the two middle fingers back using an open bridge or something else to make my bridge more stable. My memory ain't the best. This was 20,000 beers ago!

Hu
I think if I'm going to start counting the passage of time in beers I might need to learn some bigger numbers :p

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think if I'm going to start counting the passage of time in beers I might need to learn some bigger numbers :p

Exponents, I think we will have to go to exponents!

It did play hell with my barbecuing when I slowed down my drinking. All of my timing in barbecuing was based on beers. A beer to let things soak and clean things which were already pretty clean. A beer for the charcoal to get ready. A quick beer for my steak, closer to two beers for my wife's. Three and a half to four beers for her friend's. The girl was beautiful so I let her get away with it but doing that to a steak was a crime!

Hu

Podunker

Mr. Sherman
I just watched Lou shoot 3 racks and 4 break balls. Matched his head to the background. Head looked rock solid to me. Rear elbow looked consistent. Consistent setup. Not a lot of wasted motion. I thought he looked real good on the break shots. That's where things can sometimes get a little squirrely looking for extra. I guess I could never be a billiard coach. I thought he looked great. I think you'd have to be a pretty damn good player not to have your hands full with him.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I remember a time when I got off work and hit McCorie's on the Slough. Played a friend that was on unemployment for $1. He would invariably have me stuck $10 before I got my alcohol content right. After that kind of physical work, it was 3. What good workouts those were.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the last two threads, I see that a ton of players are interested the playing abilities of the top instructors in the United States. Here is a breakdown of every PBIA Master Instructor's Fargo Rating. Interesting that the two that get the most hell are probably the two best players. Jealousy at work? Perhaps...

Per Dr. Dave's website here are what the ratings mean:

800 – top world-class professional
700 – top regional player in the US; a threat to cash in the Master’s Division at the BCA/VNEA Championships; a threat to run six in a row if the break is working
600 – likely to cash in the BCA Open Division but probably won’t make it to the top 32; may get moved to Master’s Division and then flounder; has run three-in-a-row multiple times and maybe four-in-a row a time or two
500 – good local league player; runs out first time at the table in about 10% of the games
400 – runs out first time at the table in about 1% of the games (once or twice a league season)
300 – beginner league player
200 – absolute beginner; may miscue frequently

I could have missed someone. If you have a rating somewhere else like in the APA please get me that information and I'll add it even though it is a different kind.

FARGO RATINGS BY INSTRUCTOR:

Jerry Briesath – No match records

Dr. Dave Alciatore – No match records

Jim Baker – 607 Established

Anthony Beeler – 713 Established

Lance Cowles – 610 Established

Fran Crimi – 524 - Preliminary

Samm Diep-Vidal – 562 Established

David Donovan – 555 Established

Domonic Esposito – No match records

Mark Finkelstein – No match records

Randy Goettlicher – 571 Established

Claude Gragg – 556 Established

Rod Gustafson – No match records

Steve Hansen – 533 Established

John Harlach – No match records

Tommy Hill – 566 Established

Steve Jennings – 433 Established

Bob Jewett - 620 Preliminary

John Lucarelli – No match records

David MacNeill – No match records

Joseph Mejia – 565 Preliminary

Carl Oswald – 594 Established

Roy Pastor – 556 Established

Mark Powell – No match records

Bob Radford – No match records

Linda Radford – No match records

Leslie Rogers – No match records

Jay Schmitt – 504 Preliminary

Stan Shuffett – 740 Preliminary

Carl Stewart – 535 Established

Dennis Stewart – No match records

Kim Young – No match records

Walt Zincavage – 438 preliminary
CJ Wiley - 730 Established, so maybe my "go with instructors in tiger shirts" theory has some legs...