What Do You Look For in a Pool Instructor

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Dispute the geometry and logic - if you're able.

pj
chgo
I don't need to dispute anything. You can explain how it applies in 3,000 words or less. Oh yeah, don't forget all the formulas that go with it like Einstein's blackboard...Einstein.
See ya flame war instigator.

Last edited:

WobblyStroke

Jack Nicklaus is 83 years old. Ideas on how to play the game as well as equipment specs have changed since his days of playing. Players are now hitting the ball farther and straighter, and that's by choice, not by accident.
Literally one guy played a straight ball at the top level ever... Mo Norman.
I used Jack as the example bc he is the all time major winner.
Colin Morikawa is one of the best irons players in todays game and hits a straightish ball. But he ALWAYS chooses either a straightish draw or straightish fade based on the hole as he recently laid out how he does so on a GolfTV course lesson.

The guys now do hit it longer, but since the hard core ball came into use, they certainly don't hit it straighter than they used to. Even when hitting straighter back in the day, the old time greats all played curved shots. One exception: Mo Norman.

WobblyStroke

Then, since the "overall dispersion" is the same, he must miss more to the right. It can't be any other way - if you disagree you're disagreeing with geometry and logic, not with me.

pj
chgo
As I've said all along, the curve controls the miss. Sure they may end up with the same dispersion (tho path/face relationships in producing the curves mitigate that somewhat as I laid out in my draw example on my drives). The point is that by playing a curve, they take one side out of play allowing them to both play safer and more aggressively at certain pins.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
True - you only need to if you want to demonstrate that you know anything about it.

pj
chgo
Since you're the geometrician, tell me what numbers I should feed into the equation for the bulge and roll of the face as well as the face angle? How about the flex of the shaft in cpm's and torque value of the shaft? What about the length and swingweight of the club itself? You must know, since you know everything there is to know in the Universe, what I'm talking about in order to do it. In other words, all clubs are NOT created equal. But how silly of me to say that since you do know everything.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
My favorite Mo story is when he asks the caddie what the hole is. When told Driver, 9 iron, he hits 9 iron off the tee and driver onto the green.

WobblyStroke

They don't aim the edge of that dispersion at the target; they aim the middle of it at the target - so they'll miss just as often and just as much to both sides with straight or curved shots.

pj
chgo
Again, your lack of golfing experience is showing. You can go check out Jack's video Golf My Way and you can hear him say where he aims and why. For a tucked left pin his advice and how he played was to aim so that a straight shot is at that left edge of the green even quipping that "If I ever got close to a left pin it was an accident". He played that way to control the miss. His regular straight ball miss would be on target,. His standard shot would be safe in the middle of the green for an easy 2 putt. If he really overdid the fade he'd probably still hold on to the right edge of the green for a more challenging 2 putt.

If he aimed the shot so his most likely result would be at the pin, he'd be short sided off the green nearly half the time. That's a terrible spot to be in and why they call those tucked pins "sucker's pins". Only suckers aim at those. So, he played smart and settled for mostly pars with the occasional miss resulting in a birdie rather than half his shots being in trouble.

On the flip side, he really got to attack right side pins which allowed his natural left to right shot shape bring the ball towards the hole. But everyone who follows golf knows Jack didn't win a ton because he made the most birdies. He won the most because he made the most pars. He played smart. So yes, the edge of his dispersion pattern was aimed at left pins where he guarantees mostly pars and takes bogeys and esp double bogeys that can easily come when you are short sided in PGA level rough.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Many have tried. Good luck being the first to pull it off.
Well I have long since abandoned my quest on the golf course. My emulation strive falls in the attitude and adherence to The Method. Being repeatability through adherence to the program. Whatever that program might be. My theory is that Mo goes with my outfit. Shrug 🤷‍♂️

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
For a tucked left pin his advice and how he played was to aim so that a straight shot is at that left edge of the green
...so his "dispersion" would be centered on the cup - that's what he "aims" at. When shooting an arrow into a crosswind you point the arrow to the side but you're "aiming" to hit the target, and that's where your shot group ends up centered.

pj
chgo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Literally one guy played a straight ball at the top level ever... Mo Norman.
I used Jack as the example bc he is the all time major winner.
Colin Morikawa is one of the best irons players in todays game and hits a straightish ball. But he ALWAYS chooses either a straightish draw or straightish fade based on the hole as he recently laid out how he does so on a GolfTV course lesson.

The guys now do hit it longer, but since the hard core ball came into use, they certainly don't hit it straighter than they used to. Even when hitting straighter back in the day, the old time greats all played curved shots. One exception: Mo Norman.
Not off the tee. Anyway, I wouldn't compare golf to shooting shots with a bit of sidespin. The difference is that in golf, the players tend play to their swing styles where they have room to choose. In pool, a straight stroke is pretty much mandatory.

WobblyStroke

...so his "dispersion" would be centered on the cup - that's what he "aims" at. When aiming an arrow into a crosswind you point the arrow to the side but you're "aiming" to hit the target.

pj
chgo
right about wind, wrong about where he's aiming his shots. The center of his dispersion pattern was well right of a left pin. He's controlling his miss by setting the edge of that dispersion pattern. Priority one is staying out of trouble and not losing a shot left of the green. For Jack, being close to a left pin was a happy accident and a result of him hitting his straight 'miss'. I don't know how many times I can repeat that before you get it.