What do you prefer a Jump Break or Separate Entities of both?

What do you use?

• A Jump Break Combination.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • A Jump cue and a break cue

Votes: 46 60.5%
  • Full sized cue for jump shots

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I dont jump, I find a way to kick!

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters

Nitro Psycho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off-

I did a search and came up dry with a recent "poll" of this nature, I saw some people asking the same kind of question, but in a diffrent way, so now I look to see from a statistical position what cue's you guys use and wether you want a combination of both or separate cues for both duties.

Thank you for all responses,

Simon

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
What I "prefer" and what I "use" are two separate things due to financial constraints. I would MUCH rather have a dedicated break cue and dedicated jump cue.

Straw_Hat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I normally break with my playing cue though I do own a break cue. And 9 out of 10 times I prefer to kick, but every shot has a purpose so when needed I do prefer a jump cue over a jump/break.

So in short, for all average play I carry one cue but in tourney or pre-arranged money game I'll bring everything and use what will give me the highest percentage.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off-

I did a search and came up dry with a recent "poll" of this nature, I saw some people asking the same kind of question, but in a diffrent way, so now I look to see from a statistical position what cue's you guys use and wether you want a combination of both or separate cues for both duties.

Simon

Last edited:

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Can't break well with a Phenolic Tip. Can't Jump the hell of it with a Super-Hard leather tip. Having said that, I use separate cues for each purpose. =)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Can't break well with a Phenolic Tip. Can't Jump the hell of it with a Super-Hard leather tip. Having said that, I use separate cues for each purpose. =)

That's exactly my situation.

Chris

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Separate jump and break cues are the nuts. I would only get another J/B if I couldn't afford to buy both.

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen some really good jump cues and some really good break cues. But I have never seen one cue that does both well. Just my thoughts.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Separate cues for each. Mostly because I like different attributes in each that can't be combined.

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
I tried making the Frog into a break/jump but I had to compromise the jump. So I say separate for sure.

I used a Tadpole and a solid Purple Heart for my break cue

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For years I had only a playing cue, even though I make cues - players, jump or break. Then I started carrying a jump cue but use it only like some others have stated when the object ball is close to the pocket or the odds of missing the kick are too high. I probably kick 30 or 40 times as many shots as I jump.. maybe more. Lately I made a break cue for myself and still find it a pain in the a** to change each time you break and go get your playing cue. I have switched to Kamui mediums on my player and think they wear too fast if you are breaking with them also so the break cue has a Kamui Hard tip on it and I force myself to screw it together and use it all night. The jump cues have White Diamonds by Capone and from what I have seen never need reshaped.

Bob Danielson
www.bdcuesandcomix.com

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
First off-

Simon
Typically, you should use the right tool for the job. However, if you get a combo cue from a good cuemaker, you'll have something that really does fit both purposes.

-td

S.Tat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer my break cues to have a pretty flat tip and my jumpers to have a well rounded one. With that said, I have separate cues for each. Sometimes I jump with a full cue if its a jump where I don't need to elevate that much so I don't feel like I'm holding a completely foreign cue.

PocketsPro

Registered
I wrote an article once on why jump cues don't make good break cues and vice versa. Biggest difference is a jump cue has max deflection, and a break cue should have low deflection. Last thing you want on the snap is a bouncing cueball.

That being said, I don't jump much, and when I do, it is not usually radical jumps, because they are just too low percentage (for me, at least). I am good at kick shots, and masse shots, so I tried the Poison VX 2.9 break/jump cue, and I love the way it breaks, and it jumps surprisingly well. For $229, it's a great deal.

Lenny at Pockets, Tucson AZ