What do you think of Banking With The Beard?

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've read a little way and not had a chance to test it out yet, but I'm really surprised by his approach. (In a good way, assuming it works!)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What surprises you about his approach?
We can do this via pm if you wish

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The way he equates changes in force, quarter-ball adjustments in hits, English and draw, and substitutes one for another, or uses one to cancel another out.

It's very different from anything else I've read, or any other systems I've seen.

And I keep getting surprised where he applies some principles to a wider range of shots than I would expect (for example, he uses a single type of aim on 'stepover' banks pretty much anywhere on the table. And then departs from some principle altogether in some places, e.g., for 3/4-cut passover banks, instead of changes in force affecting the aim, he says all give the same outcome.

Assuming he's right about everything (and there are some cases where apparent inconsistencies make me wonder if there were some mistakes), the really developed principles, that get dropped or modified in particular circumstances, is a really impressive meeting of two approaches of theory and experience.

AndRun

Registered
In my opinion, Banking with The Beard has a lot of useful information that helps improve my banking skill.
BUT it is written in such unexciting way that I can't help but think there would be better books about banking out there.
Nonetheless, it doesn't change the fact that this book is the one that significantly helps in my banking skill.

Reactions: Pin

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
That surprises me. I thought given the technical nature of the subject, he had made things pretty clear and readable, while keeping a tone that suggested his personality. (And broke things up with road stories very well.)

Any examples of books you'd consider better written?

AndRun

Registered
I like Robert Byrne's style.
To clarify my perspective of the difference between the 2, I'd still refer back to sections in Byrne's every so often.

As for The Beard though, I'd keep index card of the golden pointers, but probably never open the book again. Those pointers though, are absolutely golden.

AndRun

Registered
No. Robert Byrne's topic on banking is not as sophisticated as in The Beard.
So, specifically about banking, I'd say The Beard is still better.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BwTB is a good read for the stories, and a classic encyclopedia for banks.

Be aware that at the time it was authored, slow, heavy cloth was the norm. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to transfer its principles to modern quick and slick (and nap-less) Simonis cloth.

Your own mileage may vary.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BwTB is a good read for the stories, and a classic encyclopedia for banks.

Be aware that at the time it was authored, slow, heavy cloth was the norm. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to transfer its principles to modern quick and slick (and nap-less) Simonis cloth.

Your own mileage may vary.
i have had no trouble using the principles on simonis

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't have easy access to a pool table when I bought banking with the beard. I had some version of VP, I forget which one. I practiced the shots on the game and when I got a chance went and executed them on a nine foot Diamond with no problem. I thought that was pretty cool.

Hu

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Great book but banks are definitely subject to feel and spin. His description of passovers I'm not wild about. Pretty unorthodox
but he understands it so I'm sure if someone tried to learn that way that they could. Banks are why I enjoy one pocket.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I have a 'disconnect' between reading how to do something (anything), and
transferring it into actually being able to do the whatever. Been dealing with
that all my Life. I do much better with the "Monkey Show Monkey Do" learning
style. I can read and understand it, Just can not translate it to the physical actions.
That said, I was able to work with Freddie's book then, when I got my grubby mitts
on his videos well, between the 2 it mostly came together. Freddy kept it simple
and kept it understandable too. bbb knows of my struggles and has helped me when
I didn't grasp a concept or several along the journey. (Thanks Larry).
So, to answer the OP's question; I think that For Me, it's a great book & Video combination
asking questions from folks that 'know stuff' also helps fill in the empty spaces. Utilize
your assets, ask questions & practice, practice, practice.

hank

MurrayNevada

Howdy All;

transferring it into actually being able to do the whatever.
I too seem to disconnect on learning new things. I have been trying to learn the "Diamond System" on my 8x4 for a couple of months and get more confused the more I attempt to learn it. Reading and watching videos have not helped much and I even use the Kamui Diamond Slicer. Perhaps I'm too old a dog to learn new tricks. Any advice would be appreciated.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

transferring it into actually being able to do the whatever. Been dealing with
that all my Life. I do much better with the "Monkey Show Monkey Do" learning
style. I can read and understand it, Just can not translate it to the physical actions.
That said, I was able to work with Freddie's book then, when I got my grubby mitts
on his videos well, between the 2 it mostly came together. Freddy kept it simple
and kept it understandable too. bbb knows of my struggles and has helped me when
I didn't grasp a concept or several along the journey. (Thanks Larry).
So, to answer the OP's question; I think that For Me, it's a great book & Video combination
asking questions from folks that 'know stuff' also helps fill in the empty spaces. Utilize
your assets, ask questions & practice, practice, practice.

hank
hank
those are very kind words
glad i could help
larry

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I too seem to disconnect on learning new things. I have been trying to learn the "Diamond System" on my 8x4 for a couple of months and get more confused the more I attempt to learn it. Reading and watching videos have not helped much and I even use the Kamui Diamond Slicer. Perhaps I'm too old a dog to learn new tricks. Any advice would be appreciated.
Murray
check your pm
i will try to help you

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Play some one pocket and go for a lot of 3 rail banks. You'll learn what you need to know but don't expect to hit everyone of them.