What does pumping the cue over and over up in the air before their shot do for the pros?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think for some guys it has a very specific purpose, like setting cue direction, grip position, and perhaps bridge length.

For a lot of other guys it has no purpose and they are just aping the pros they've seen do it.

Lou Figueroa

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your feet are in the shooting position, then the "air stroke" when above the shot is the same position as your stroke when down on the shot. If you hold the air stroke stationary then bend down to the shot it should land in the right shooting position.

Zerksies

I actually do this. I don't know where i picked this up, been doing it for 20 years. But when I do it I'm feeling the shaft to make sure that it's smooth and clean of dirt or debris.

Pool Hand Luke

I do it more as an aiming aid. I may or may not do the warm up strokes each time but when kicking or banking I hold the cue on maybe a 45 degree angle in front of me to see known lines from pocket to diamonds and then with my cue still in position I parallel shift to the cue ball and take the shot. It works more often than not.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Guess golfers could practice with the putter head up at eye level with their stroke. But no, they do it next to the ball on the green which is what a pool player could do. They could move next where there are no balls and do their practice stroke on the table, follow through, etc. Stop the air swipes.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Autozone and Walmart sells microfiber towels for detailing cars. They are about the size of a washcloth. They work great and are reusable. They will also lift fingerprints and make the rails about as clean as you can get them without liquid. $8 for 6 towels. Also great at cleaning around the house, and cleaning cell phone screens or glass. You can wash them in your clothes machine.

In all seriousness, I keep one in my case in the case of something sticky getting on my shaft. Works great.
That would come in handy at the strip club also.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can be used with intention, setting a short or long bridge and feeling the stroke for the next shot, like a practice stroke in golf.

In the air, you can--not everyone does--preset your bridge length then bridge to the table accurately with a small tip gap.

Weaker players tend to address the ball with too long and bridge and then slide in with their stroke arm, setting the stroke arm at poor angles.
Finally the right answer. I was waiting.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally the right answer. I was waiting.
This, and I always thought it was a speed feel thing. Both good players do this and bad players (who try to copy good players)

I've seen some hilarious preshot routines. Exaggerated step-in, lifting and slapping the cloth with bridge hand right before shooting. 50 practice strokes, or none at all. I guess as long as you're consistent.... That's what counts.

Mine is simple; walk around figure out the shot, stand in the line, step in/get down, two strokes looking at CB, two while looking at OB, confirm aim and fire. I ain't got time for additional BS.

mohler

Registered
I used to play with a guy that did this all the time, until one day he stroked it into a ceiling fan. Never saw him do that again.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen some players do it when they have been playing a lot of soft shots and then have to let out their stroke. I guess it gets the arm ready for more effort.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This, and I always thought it was a speed feel thing. Both good players do this and bad players (who try to copy good players)

I've seen some hilarious preshot routines. Exaggerated step-in, lifting and slapping the cloth with bridge hand right before shooting. 50 practice strokes, or none at all. I guess as long as you're consistent.... That's what counts.

Mine is simple; walk around figure out the shot, stand in the line, step in/get down, two strokes looking at CB, two while looking at OB, confirm aim and fire. I ain't got time for additional BS.
What ever works is best, nothing wrong with anything or nothing

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's my routine.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt it's a conscious habit for most. Just part of "visualizing" / "getting a feel". Some may have intentionally worked it into their pre-shot routine at some point.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
This goes right along with grounding the cue tip while aiming. Most people who do it can beat me.

On an unrelated note I wonder if the OP has any custom cue builder recommendations or instructors he prefers?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
It’s to get the feel of the shot in your mind before getting down on the shot. I do it every shot too.
Correct. The same reason a batter takes a few swings before the pitcher throws the ball, or a kicker takes a couple of practice kicks before a field goal attempt. It's part of the preparation for executing the shot properly.