What does Team USA’s Mosconi Cup future look like?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spit up someone else's ass and try to tell them it's raining. The above is an absolutely ridiculous notion.

Jaden
yeh that ridiculous notion is well supported by fargorate, wpa ranking and every other statistical measure available. not only could europe field two or more teams with a fair chance to win the cup, one could even narrow it down to one or two single countries (austria + germany or russia + uk) that would have a decent chance

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There aren't any, none, zero.

Shane is the only player in the US that has a chance playing the euros, possibly Bergman
I'd say SVB, JB and Skyler could if they played that level of comp. all the time. They'd almost have to move there to have any chance.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeh that ridiculous notion is well supported by fargorate, wpa ranking and every other statistical measure available. not only could europe field two or more teams with a fair chance to win the cup, one could even narrow it down to one or two single countries (austria + germany or russia + uk) that would have a decent chance
Not to mention Poland. There are some STOUT Polish players already and more coming up.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still want to know who these players are that are as good as SVB and the Europeans, and that are able to hide their skill so well that they make more money from hustling! First, how have we in the pool community not heard of these master hustlers and second, who the hell is gambling with them and losing to them so that they can make more money than the top players in the game? Who are these fish that are paying out? Surely these matches would have been streamed with today’s technology!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still want to know who these players are that are as good as SVB and the Europeans, and that are able to hide their skill so well that they make more money from hustling! First, how have we in the pool community not heard of these master hustlers and second, who the hell is gambling with them and losing to them so that they can make more money than the top players in the game? Who are these fish that are paying out? Surely these matches would have been streamed with today’s technology!
Exactly. Maybe there are some stealth pool players that only a few truly tuned in people can see. ;)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say SVB, JB and Skyler could if they played that level of comp. all the time. They'd almost have to move there to have any chance.
They all need to save up about $25,000 each and go to the Philippines for several months.

Live cheap with the locals and play all the Filipino young guns everyday until they can beat them convincingly.

If they can not do that, they most likely will never reach world-class level.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Lol, these undercover agents are great at hiding their skill....AND their $$$$, LOLOLOL. They hide it so well in fact that they continue to hide it well into their twilight years when most would wish to appear to be retiring. I'll tell you what, in 17 years when I'm 60, I'll retire and you guys can guess as to whether or not I'm faking it. LOLOLOLOL

I've donated to some great pool players before if you know what I mean. It felt like donating, I assure you.

I think this romanticized pool hustler notion is reinforced by the mythology associated with the gunslingers and settlers in the American west. Rugged individualists, survivors, etc. I'd say those folks back then were lucky to subsist. Nevertheless, it sounds good, no doubt. Just like many would be modern era "gunslingers" really just mostly watch TV and buy cheap Chinese sh$t at the Walmart.

If you make your living at pool, hustling or otherwise, your damn lucky.

Last edited:
I agree. I follow the game pretty damn close and know quite a few of these guys on some level. There just aren't many here that play world class big-table pool. These people that think there are a bunch in the weeds hiding out gambling are either sorely mis-informed or delusional.
I believe there’s a lot of good players that aren't well known, but they are just good, not top class players. I start making stats for players on instagram, it might be interesting to someone.

svbt.png

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sheer and utter dominance by Team Europe this year! They were favored and the way they played, were well deserved winners. Can’t see the USA coming up with a team to challenge this one. I say let’s go with the young guns. Skyler, Billy, Tyler, Chris and ???. Can’t be any worse!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, you don't get it. There's simply no reason for them to show that they are monsters and without a tour, they can't fully develop as tournament players. Most of the Euro players don't gamble at all. It's a different mindset. Constantly trying to hide your game can force bad habits and some lack of consistency.

If there was a good paying US tour, you would have the better players focus on doing well enough in a tournament setting that would lend itself more to doing well in a MC type format.

Jaden

This isn't the 90s anymore. Plenty of Euros gamble and big.

And none of the players that get selected for the US team have to worry about hiding their game, because anyone who follows pool knows who they are.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't the 90s anymore. Plenty of Euros gamble and big.

And none of the players that get selected for the US team have to worry about hiding their game, because anyone who follows pool knows who they are.
They should sneak into Taiwan in disguises and try to rob some of those Taiwanese players. I am sure they can get all they can stand without hiding.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should sneak into Taiwan in disguises and try to rob some of those Taiwanese players. I am sure they can get all they can stand without hiding.
They shouldn’t need disguises because nobody has ever seen these gambling ninjas!

Geosnookery

They all need to save up about $25,000 each and go to the Philippines for several months.

Live cheap with the locals and play all the Filipino young guns everyday until they can beat them convincingly.

If they can not do that, they most likely will never reach world-class level.
Mosconi Cup level. Not world-class level. They would have to go to China.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The United Stated does not have an event like the The European Championships, which requires a player to demonstrate skills in each of nine ball, ten ball, eight ball and straight pool to be successful. The European Championships also includes an international team match in which each country fields a team. I think that, over the years, the existence of the European Championships has helped make the Europeans better rounded players than the Americans. Similarly, the league system in America does not cover all these disciplines on a regular basis, which is different from the German leagues that have brought us three WPA World 9-ball champions in Ortmann, Souquet and Hohmann, each of whom has also won major international titles at straight pool.

Another factor is that Europeans often play cuesports that are more difficult than pool. Snooker, a game requiring better cueing skills than pool, has had a place in the emergence of many top European players, Mika Immonen among them. Those that started with snooker and developed some proficiency in it often have an advantage when it comes to pocketing the balls. In fact, even women's snooker has now produced three hall of famers in pool in Kelly Fisher, Allison Fisher and Karen Corr, In the UK, English 8-ball, which is played on the kind of pockets that are more associated with snooker, has also been a factor. Appleton, Shaw, Melling and Selby all began with English 8-ball and have been four of pool's straightest shooters. Russian Pyramid has also figured in producing some awfully straight shooters, as sharpshooters Gorst, Chinakhov and Stalev all began with that game.

These are some ways in which the European pool scene is, indeed, more conducive to the development of champions than the American system.
I didn`t find time to reply yesterday, but here are my thoughts:

The European Championships have developed into a very important tournament because they bring fame to the winners and fame equals governmental funding and sponsorship contracts. I agree that this develops better rounded players, since every discipline is a chance to raise into the elite group of players who don`t have to worry about money and can focus on just playing pool.

The German league is the strongest league in the world today, but this is a quite recent development. Ortmann, Souquet, Eckert, Engert and maybe even Hohmann are not products of a league system, but come from the same pool playing background as their American counterparts. Bars, smoke, a certain Tom Cruise movie and yes, even gambling.
But even then, the Germans were far ahead of their time in pool Europe with Tom Storm and maybe Austria´s Werner Duregger, who came close to something you can call a professional level. It wasn`t only marketing reasons to put a lot of snooker players into the early MC teams, it was the fact that nearly all of Europe was in the middle of stone age when it came to pool.

But at this time two very important things happened:
First of all some players realized the importance of a clean image if you want to be seen as an athlete and as you know Souquet and Eckert are still raw models for pool players today and someone like Jasmin Ouschan living this attitude to perfection.
Secondly other players realized if they want to learn and become better, they have to go to the place on earth were the best pool is played. So Mika, Thorsten, Allison Fisher, Gerda Hofstätter and even Nils Feijen in his early years came to the US.
...and time after time the Dutch developed their pool programm, Polish player became better and better, German League, the Austrians could build on Jasmin`s popularity and so on and so on.

I also have a little bit different opinion on the impact of Snooker, English 8ball and Pyramid on the European Pool scene. I think it is more of an indirect influence or better said it HAD an indirect influence.
It is very true that these games develop straight shooters, which lead to very successful players on the European pool scene. But the main consequences were, that the "real" pool players had to think about how they still can compete with those new opponents. So they for themselves became straighter shooters, worked harder on their basics and tried to master the pool specific skills like the break, jumps, banks and kicks the former snooker and pyramid players were missing. Which lead to players like Mark Gray, Tony Drago, Daryl Peach, Imran Majid, Boyes or Stalev slowly disappearing from the leaderboards.