What got you interested in pool?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I came from a family that owned pool tables. The enclosed picture shows my grandfather and my father and was taken around the time I was born. Years later, my father had a table in his basement. Family gatherings always had games ongoing. However, nobody in the family was particularly good as it. In college, I had access to a table where I would bang balls around as a study break. One day, a friend’s brother who was an excellent player spent an entire day teaching me ~90% of everything I currently know about shot-making and position play. I absorbed everything Rick taught that day and have spent the past 45 years trying to get it right.

Attachments

• Dad and Grandpa resize.jpg
    Dad and Grandpa resize.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the pub, had a game and realised pretty quickly that I had far more natural talent than almost everybody else. I could pot two balls in a row ... the rest is history...

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is exactly why I like to approach players that seem interested in actually playing at my regular pool halls, grab them to play in the weekly tournaments, show them the league flyers, etc... If a new player has a great experience and has someone explain concepts to them, they are a lot more likely to come back to play again.
Thanks for the comment hang-the-9. You're right...it was the friendly, helpful advanced players who made me feel welcome as much as the game itself that brought me back, and now I'm hooked.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I came from a family that owned pool tables. The enclosed picture shows my grandfather and my father and was taken around the time I was born. Years later, my father had a table in his basement. Family gatherings always had games ongoing. However, nobody in the family was particularly good as it. In college, I had access to a table where I would bang balls around as a study break. One day, a friend’s brother who was an excellent player spent an entire day teaching me ~90% of everything I currently know about shot-making and position play. I absorbed everything Rick taught that day and have spent the past 45 years trying to get it right.

9ball rack hanging on the wall. Now there's something you don't see much anymore. I haven't seen one in at least 40 years.

Last edited:

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
Probably like a few here divorce. I played when I was in high school but between the Army, marriage, and kids I didn’t touch a stick for over 20 years and just started playing again last April.

A-A-RON

Registered
For me it isn't a what but a who that got me interested... my father.
He had always shot pool since a young age and played in leagues for over 20 years. He doesn't really play any more but every now and then I can entice him to a game or two. He had me hold my first pool stick when I was about 5 or 6 years old and shooting on a pool table standing on a milk crate with just the shaft. Ever since that young age I became a fan of the sport, growing up watching Earl Strickland, Efren Reyes, Johnny Archer, Francisco Bustamante, etc.
I myself started shooting in the pool halls around 16/17 years old learning the lessons of getting hustled and becoming the hustler. Joined my first league around 23 and havent looked back since. I truly do enjoy this sport and always push for the younger crowds in my area to join up.
#OlympicBilliards

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when i was 13 years old playing pool at the YMCA i was told that if i become a full time pool player there would be a chance that:
I would be broke all my life
I could get mixed up with a drug or alcohol habit
Never have a wife or family
No stable personal life
Get involved in crimes
Maybe spend time in jail
After carefully considering all this I decided it sounded good
I'm in.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My father took me to the domino/pool hall in Crockett Texas in 1960. I was 13. I’ve been hooked ever since then. Can’t shake the habit.

RuneSki

Registered
Started shooting pool when I was 13 yrs old. Just got out of the hospital in Jersey City ( Jersey City Medical Center ) after 2 mos. recovering after being hit by a truck while riding my bicycle , all my friends started going there prior to me getting out ( Bufano's boxing gym and pool hall).
I started shooting with casts on both arms ( etc. etc.) , it helped the healing process
Rich K ( RuneSki ) s/SIZE]

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My friend's brother got a table for his birthday when I was a junior in high school. I think I may have spent more time on that table than either of them. It was a Sear's Special with a plywood bed covered with flannel. A spot shot -- that was back when spot shots were still important -- was aimed by lining up straight at the ball and then selecting a speed that would give half a ball of roll-off. And shots to the side could be made by shooting a ball to bump along the downhill rail at just the right speed. I soon graduated to the tables at the Student Union.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got interested in pool because it looked like
a way to win some easy money and get through college
without taking a part time job

Oh,at first,it was a way to win money and get through high school

sfvpool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to a pool hall with a friend around 1968. I learned straight pool and I loved the game from the onset. I've been playing, off and on, since then.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My parents liked to used to go to the bar...alot, not like a real bar but the "Eagles Club", which was much more respectable to bring your 11 year old into than say "Dirty Fannie's Place"...either way, they had a 7 foot bar table that got plenty of use. I played partners with my dad against some old dude and my mom, I made a cool bank shot on the 8 ball and we won 5 bucks. Shortly after, the two Eagle's clubs in the region would have pool tournaments to establish superiority, I won that tournament 16 times before I was old enough to join the club and then shipped off for the Army...hooked til this day!

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My parents made go

My parents saw that I had some natural talent and could win some
money. They encouraged me, I can still hear my Dad's voice
" here take this cash and run it into something , it's pretty obvious
you're never going to get a job". Then my Mom would chime in 'that's
for sure, and at least you will be with a higher class of people than those
hoodlums you hang around with now".
jack

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My parents saw that I had some natural talent and could win some
money. They encouraged me, I can still hear my Dad's voice
" here take this cash and run it into something , it's pretty obvious
you're never going to get a job". Then my Mom would chime in 'that's
for sure, and at least you will be with a higher class of people than those
hoodlums you hang around with now".
jack

Thank God for parents of a higher order... because kids need love. And direction.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always liked pool since I was a boy.

In 2002 I blew out my knee. So I decided to start playing more often.

My buddy I thought was a great player and I wanted to be able to complete with him. So my adventure began.

Found out my buddy was actually a mid December player. That was interesting.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Thanks for all the posts. This thread was a great read. .

Thanks for all the posts.

This thread was a great read.

.:)

ICApproval

This is my first post - Newbie here

My dad was a war vet and went on to become a doctor, so we had some means. His wife was from Minersville, PA where Joe Balsis grew up. Well after the Hustler and his days in the pubs in England and the Minersville connection he had to have a table. So I grew up with a table in my basement which was a popular attraction to me and my party friends. I was a little above average and loved the game. I played off and on for many years after I moved out.
Life moves on and I never had my own table until a few years ago when a neighbor passed and his table went up for sale at a yard sale. $100 smacks later I had his table and have been playing like old times. Its a good hobby to have in retirement when you are 62. I am practicing a lot and trying to find a league to join. Mark

Michael Andros

Silver Member
This is my first post - Newbie here

My dad was a war vet and went on to become a doctor, so we had some means. His wife was from Minersville, PA where Joe Balsis grew up. Well after the Hustler and his days in the pubs in England and the Minersville connection he had to have a table. So I grew up with a table in my basement which was a popular attraction to me and my party friends. I was a little above average and loved the game. I played off and on for many years after I moved out.
Life moves on and I never had my own table until a few years ago when a neighbor passed and his table went up for sale at a yard sale. $100 smacks later I had his table and have been playing like old times. Its a good hobby to have in retirement when you are 62. I am practicing a lot and trying to find a league to join. Mark

Mark -

Welcome to the madhouse. Enjoy.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan and Neil Robertson.
Seeing them play was a revelation. Period.