What is necessary to improve?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
However, if you read German texts for six years while using a german-english dictionary for the words you don't understand, you will probably end up with a better grasp of the German language than most Germans.

Your mind will learn the language from using the correct definitions over time as you read the language with correct sentence format etc in a way that learning the spoken language would never give you..

Here's the kicker though. You won't speak it correctly because you won't have the experience of hearing it spoken correctly with proper accent and diction.

This illustration translates PERFECTLY to pool because you can learn from videos or books practicing by yourself in your basement for 6 years and be able to play perfect.

Then when you go play in a tournament against someone, LOSE YOUR ASS...

You have to get that experience of SPEAKING pool in competition to truly become great.

Jaden

A week or two ago, TVMike had a stream of a tournament. Don't remember where it was, but I think it was in Ohio. Anyways, they had a "newcomer" in it. No one knew him. He said he had only been playing in his basement because his wife was ill and he took care of her. Now that she had passed, he decided to go out and see how he would do in a tournament.

Well, the tournament he happened to go to had a number of really strong amateur players in it. :eek: He just played "his" game, and finished third. Pretty good showing for "no experience".

The trick for him? He didn't worry about who he was playing at all. He just did what he knew how to do. He played the table, not his opponent.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jeremiah,

Here's a quote from my what it takes to play like a pro page that I think summarizes some of the most important factors:

The main things top players have in common are:

- they have great vision and visual perception (i.e., they can clearly and consistently "see" the "angle of the shot" and the required line of aim).

- they have excellent "feel" for shot speed, spin, and position play.

- they are able to consistently and accurately deliver the cue along the desired line with the tip contact point and speed needed for the shot (even if their mechanics aren't always "textbook").

- they have tremendous focus and intensity and have a strong drive to improve and win.

And the biggest thing they have in common is: they have put in many more hours practicing and playing than most of us have. That's how they have developed all of the things on the list above. (A little "natural talent" in all of these areas can help also.)
FYI, the following resource page also has some relevant suggestions:

how to improve your game

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Yes and I did say CAN...

A week or two ago, TVMike had a stream of a tournament. Don't remember where it was, but I think it was in Ohio. Anyways, they had a "newcomer" in it. No one knew him. He said he had only been playing in his basement because his wife was ill and he took care of her. Now that she had passed, he decided to go out and see how he would do in a tournament.

Well, the tournament he happened to go to had a number of really strong amateur players in it. :eek: He just played "his" game, and finished third. Pretty good showing for "no experience".

The trick for him? He didn't worry about who he was playing at all. He just did what he knew how to do. He played the table, not his opponent.

I said you CAN learn in your basement and play perfect and then when you play in a tournament get beat, I didn't say it was always going to happen.

A lot of that comes down to the individual. Younger people have that naive fearlessness, as you get older, you have to develop an informed confidence...

Jaden

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I said you CAN learn in your basement and play perfect and then when you play in a tournament get beat, I didn't say it was always going to happen.

A lot of that comes down to the individual. Younger people have that naive fearlessness, as you get older, you have to develop an informed confidence...

Jaden

Yep, and where many go wrong is they instead turn it into an informed fear. By the way, you have made a bunch of good points in this thread!

Banks

Banned
Yep, and where many go wrong is they instead turn it into an informed fear. By the way, you have made a bunch of good points in this thread!

Just as important is how somebody handles, and peforms within, their natural response.

A wise man once said, "Brick not hit back."

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
even in the highlight of my professional career I rarely practiced more than an hour

Everyone wants to get better, run more racks, and win more games. What do you believe is necessary to improve? In other words, what actions must you perform in order to take your game to the next level?

"Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect"

This is true, even in the highlight of my professional career I rarely practiced more than an hour a day (average).

However, I practiced specific things and would even set an alarm for 20 minutes and practice shots off the rail, opposite handed, combinations, straight pool, extreme english, banks, etc.

I recommend listing your weaknesses and practicing each one 20 minutes straight, you'll see improvement like never before. 'The Game is the Teacher'

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The old man never practiced

He would practice his break. Learn to hit what you are aiming at. Learn to stop the Cue ball dead. Then learn how to adjust.
I heard Efrin also never practices. The old man said if he wasn't in action his stick wasn't in his hands. He did loosen up. Dump out the balls and clear the table.
Go time.
Scottie looks at his hand on his back swing before he strokes on out. Some times a couple times then watch out.
You practice with the intention of developing a stroke that hits where you are aiming every time. It is beyond hand eye coordination.
Forget about lines.
Hit the target.
See where to hit the ball on your approach. It is called addressing the shot. You have to do that. That is when most shots are missed. Addressing the shot. Before you bend down to shoot you have already either made or missed your shot. Almost every time. Pro's will set up and shoot and almost before they hit the ball you know they dogged it. The skipped addressing their shot.
If this is news to you take it to heart. Imagine a golfer not addressing their shot.
Same dealeo. Big secret though.
How did that Pro miss that criple? He thought he knew what was up. Didn't though. Skipped addressing the ball. The object ball.
Talent helps.
Good luck,
Nick :)