What is Pool’s Equivalent of a Hole-In-One in Golf?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of our regulars today was telling me about having a hole-in-one yesterday playing golf, his third career hole-in-one. I was trying to think of giving him some idea of what is pool’s equivalent of a golf hole-in-one.

Obviously pocketing all the balls on the break is far less likely than a golf hole-in-one. The best equivalent accomplishment I could come up with was playing a tournament match or at least a meaningful match (8-ball or 9-ball) in which you break and run out the set, minimum of 5 games, without your opponent ever getting to the table.

Of course the number of games could be tweaked based on what size table you are playing on. For instance on a bar box, it might be running a six-pack but on a nine footer it might be a five-pack, or even a four-pack if accomplished on a diamond nine footer with tighter pockets. I just used a five-pack as kind of an average.

Another kind of equivalent feat in terms of rarity, how about pocketing 5 balls on a 9-ball break? I thought about 6 balls, but I’m guessing that occurs far less for a pool player than a hole-in-one for a golfer, in my opinion.

For 14.1 players, I guess it would be running 100 balls. Any other examples?

Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The odds of an ace by an amateur are about 12,000 to 1. But, even relatively poor golfers get them occasionally. Some actually have a number, because it’s completely feasible to hit a single, mediocre but lucky shot that ends up in the hole. Your average banger simply can’t luck into a 100 ball run or break and run an entire set. Even among the best in the world, an ace is more lucky happenstance than skill. Though of course, the better you hit your average shots, the higher the likelihood that one will find its way into the cup.

Maybe a closer equivalent would be 3 or 4 9-balls on the snap in a row. But there’s really not an equivalent that accounts for the luck involved in getting an ace on the golf course.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I had an opponent totally safe that was down to his last ball. He had no conceivable way to hit it. Except he called his last ball that was a diamond away from the pocket, into the corner. He proceeded to bounce the cue ball off of the point of the side pocket and it shot right toward his last ball and made a thin cut on it to make it where he called it. On top of that, the cue ball flew all of the way down the table through all of my balls to leave him straight in on the 8 ball. I'm not sure of the odds to do what he did, but it sure felt like he made a hole in one!

_______

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It would have to be something crazy difficult for a professional and unlikely but still possibly achievable by an unaccomplished player.

Hence, a nine-pack in 9-ball or 150 and out in straight pool don't qualify. because an unaccomplished amateur can't possibly achieve these even once in a lifetime. I think a break and eight and out in full rack banks might be roughly as tough as a hole-in-one. A top pro can do it many times in a lifetime, and a fairly unaccomplished amateur could possibly achieve it once in a lifetime.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool has no equivalent.

a golden break is close but how many hole in ones did nicklas have compared to nine balls on the break by strickland

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Alex may’ve had the equivalent of a hole in one on Jose Parica....one pocket match...race to four.
Alex broke...made a ball...ran 8 and out...Jose broke...Alex ran 8 and out...
...Alex broke..made a ball...ran 8 and out...Jose broke...Alex ran 8 and out.

The rule has since been changed about making a ball on the break....
...but who loses a race to four getting only two shots?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex may’ve had the equivalent of a hole in one on Jose Parica....one pocket match...race to four.
Alex broke...made a ball...ran 8 and out...Jose broke...Alex ran 8 and out...
...Alex broke..made a ball...ran 8 and out...Jose broke...Alex ran 8 and out.

The rule has since been changed about making a ball on the break....
...but who loses a race to four getting only two shots?
Jose. I can believe you asked that question after writing the answer right before it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A hole in one isn't that hard. I got many when I played golf. I got one on the hole where the ball goes through a pipe and out the other end, bounces against a railroad tie and in the hole. Never got one on the windmill hole. I never did figure that one out.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
This is a hole in one. It happened quickly and Earl milked it, then everyone backed Earl up.
The climax is Jayson walking out of the event.

Powerful scene

TheShark.jpg

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
at least 6 balls on the break. most golfers even frequent ones never get a hole in one. and a hole in one is mostly by chance for all that can put a ball on the green on a par three.
and pros dont have more as they play at the tips and on harder courses.