What is the best tool for DIY re-tipping?

South_Florida

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides a laithe, I am worried about all these simple kits that will likely mar the shaft. I am almost thinking of making my own rig by drilling the right size mm hole in a piece of wood and hook it up around the butt with bungee cords or something because it almost seems like that would be better than most tools I see out there. Main worry is messing up the shaft...

(Didn't see any posts in a quick search that actually recommended one tool over another)
 
Like anything else, most of those little tools (ie - the big shaver, willards tip machine) will work fine with with the right amount of care and practice. I have seen a tool from Asia that is a tipping machine that looks like it does a pretty good job. On you tube they all look pretty good, but of course they have the potential to jack up your shaft and ferrule pretty good as well if you don't apply the right amount of care and patience.
If I was picking one I think I'd go with the big shaver, it was just easier for me. But, although you might see it and be tempted, the one thing I'd stay away from is the American Cowboy Lathe.
As your handle indicates, if you're in South Florida I would think that there have to be a bazillion cue guys down there. I'd bet any one of them will retip pretty cheap.
 
Thank you for the feedback. I have never done a tip before, my problem with giving it to someone is they take like a week to do it. I only have the one cue I play with, maybe if I got another (been looking at the Meucci REV02) I would be more likely to give it up for a week.

In the meantime I went ahead and got this, may have to jerry rig a hybrid out of the kit I got.

javascript:popup('enlarge.html?[url]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/ozonepark_2302_17628355[/url]')
 
I practiced on house cues before I did my own. The first tips weren't very good but I got better. Also, a week is way too long. I'd check around some more.:thumbup:
 
Just take your time and be patient. You might want to practice a couple of times first on on some fat pencils or a dowel from your local home improvement store.
 
williard tipping machine does wonders, tip friends to pay for it then let it pay for your accessories had one for 20 plus years
 
rtbbf - That is exactly the tool I was looking for. I remember when my friends that owned the pool hall back in the day got one of those, and I could not find it or remember what it was.

I am book marking that one, maybe stop all my other internet purchasing for awhile and get the williard in a couple months.

THANKS!!!
 
If you are referring to the little plastic jig that holds the tip on after gluing, that is or was only necessary when using as long setting glue.

You can use 2 elastic bands on the shaft or your finger.

CA glue, you only have to hold the tip for a short time.
 
That is a very decent video for a Snooker Tip Scara.

I like when he was using the blade, spinning the shaft under to face the ferrule off.

That is essentially what you can do if you have a lathe and under power.

He mentioned that it is a good idea to have your thumb well down the shaft in case the blade slips off the ferrule.

I learned my lesson using a tip *****er. It slipped and my thumb was in the way. Amazing how those little Barbs can peel your skin for you.

Anyway, I think that was a very professional job he did in quick time with just the basic
tools.
 
Thank you for the feedback. I have never done a tip before, my problem with giving it to someone is they take like a week to do it. I only have the one cue I play with, maybe if I got another (been looking at the Meucci REV02) I would be more likely to give it up for a week.

In the meantime I went ahead and got this, may have to jerry rig a hybrid out of the kit I got.

javascript:popup('enlarge.html?[url]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/ozonepark_2302_17628355[/url]')

Find a different cue guy. We have a very good one locally 24hrs retip he even did a new taper for my on a spare shaft and had it back to me in less than 48hrs. Find a good one that works with you and give him all of your business.
 
When our local pool room has a big tournament, there is a local guy that brings his lathe in and sets up shop. Depending on the demand, you usually can get your cue re tipped in a couple of hours. If you want a special tip, that he might not have, I suggest you buy one ahead of time and bring with you.
 
diy

Besides a laithe, I am worried about all these simple kits that will likely mar the shaft. I am almost thinking of making my own rig by drilling the right size mm hole in a piece of wood and hook it up around the butt with bungee cords or something because it almost seems like that would be better than most tools I see out there. Main worry is messing up the shaft...

(Didn't see any posts in a quick search that actually recommended one tool over another)

No matter what tool you use :eek: if you sand on the ferrule you are screwing up.........

I am not going to say it is impossible but most of the time the person doing it has to sand on the ferrule.

A utility razor blade and a wood chisel, course and medium sand paper, ultra gel super glue, a thick rubber band, polishing cream, denatured alcohol, carnauba wax.
some kind of shaft sealer, and 3 hands :thumbup:

Good luck
 
I use a williard a tipping machine ..works well. I think the next best to a lathe..IF you take ur time and practice...the tips will come out great...here's a pic of a new un chalked shaft/tip by mike bender...here's the tip that I prefer that I put on the shaft about hour ago..going shape it up a little more..but u get the pic.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 190
This is what I found to be the best tool you can make to do tips anywhere with power.

I built a mini shaft lathe for under $100 bucks pretty much using the guys link below (BIG TIME KUDOS ON THE CREATIVE IDEA) and it works very well. My tips are now looking like it was done by a professional on a REAL lathe.

The important part to tipping is getting the ferrule to spin at a med-high speed while being VERY accurately turned with ZERO wobble at all. Otherwise, you are wating your time and you will have a lopsided tip or worse.

You will also find that cutting the tips rather than that of sanding/filing is a much better practice, especially if you are going to do layered tips. The heat the friction causes will delaminate the tip and you just threw out $10-$25. the Porper big shaver works well for me, but be patient and learn the tool first.

This works great with or without the speed control. Without the speed control buy a $20-$30 ELCTRIC drill from Ace or Harbor Freight that has the speed control button on the side of the grip withthe spin knob for speed adjustability when it is set to constant on.

It costs next to nothing for what it is and does and is only about 15 lbs and 10"x36" long. I just mounted it on a cedar board I had leftover from a raised garden box (it was new not rotted btw). The mounting of the drill is VERY important to get squared to the hole the ferrule is going to go through. Mine is on a locking swivel to turn outward to clean the ferrule and lower part of the tip.

TO AVOID BEATING UP THE SHAFT AND STEADY YOUR FERRULE PLEASE READ THE NEXT PART CAREFULLY. I used a motorcycle bearing like he did, as well as ordered the collets CUSTOM made to fit the inside diameter of the bearing (5/8"). The collets were about $50 on eBay from "cachin33", he was VERY helpful and I had all 7 of them in a week custom made (12, 12.25, 12.5, 12.75, 13, 13.25, and 13.50 mm diameters).

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=339502

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU IN YOUR ENDEAVORS.

PS- I AM NOW USING STRAIGHT ERWIN RAZOR BLADES TO CUT THESE WITH A CUTTING REST.
 
Back
Top