What is the most consecutive racks of 9 ball ever run?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Busti ran...what was it...a 7 pack of 10 ball on the 10 footer at the derby big foot event on film...who remembers the actual package and I have to wonder what the odds were of performing that memorable feat????

edit: perhaps it was actually the Fatboy Challenge?
Well, it was at a DCC 10-Ball Challenge, but it was a Fatboy event on a 9-footer in 2011, not a Bigfoot event on a 10-footer. The 10-foot events started in the summer of 2012 at the Southern Classic. The first Bigfoot event at the DCC was in 2013. Also, Bustamante's B&R package in that 2011 10-Ball Challenge was 6 games, not 7. It was Games 9 through 14 of Bustamante's 15-1 victory over Rafael Martinez. Bustamante also had 2 other B&Rs in that match, in Games 4 and 7, for a total of 8 on his 15 breaks in that match.

For several years in his commentary at the DCC, Mark Wilson stated that it was a 7-pack on a 10-footer. I informed him of his mistake after the 2020 DCC event.

Not sure if mentioned yet but another thing standing in the way of these “record packages” is an opponent willing to watch it. First of all it’s not often a guy gets past 6 or 7 even when they haven’t won the money and when they do they’re playing by the game. How often would someone playing by the game be willing to continue after seeing a guy put 10 together?

I’ve run 7 twice with no early 9s on a standard Diamond and that’s the most I’ve personally witnessed in competition. I was behind 9-1 in a race to 10 and lost one of those lol.

No clue what the most I’ve done on a bar table is but it’s more than 7. I don’t believe any number on a bar table(valley) is out of the question as I’m not even any sort of champion player at all. I’ve seen 12 or so a couple times by second level pros right in front of me playing long ahead sets.

I’ve heard of many bigger packages but just haven’t personally seen them. I don’t doubt the validity of any of them though. I just don’t think it should be spoken that highly of when done on a 7’ table that’s my 2 cents.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Well, it was at a DCC 10-Ball Challenge, but it was a Fatboy event on a 9-footer in 2011, not a Bigfoot event on a 10-footer. The 10-foot events started in the summer of 2012 at the Southern Classic. The first Bigfoot event at the DCC was in 2013. Also, Bustamante's B&R package in that 2011 10-Ball Challenge was 6 games, not 7. It was Games 9 through 14 of Bustamante's 15-1 victory over Rafael Martinez. Bustamante also had 2 other B&Rs in that match, in Games 4 and 7, for a total of 8 on his 15 breaks in that match.

For several years in his commentary at the DCC, Mark Wilson stated that it was a 7-pack on a 10-footer. I informed him of his mistake after the 2020 DCC event.
Thanks for setting the record straight...and thanks for compiling all that great data, you are one of the forum good guys, one of the best actually.

In any event, Busti's package in that event remains very memorable and always will because of its rarity. Sizable packages like that rarely happen and it excites pool fans when they do occur.

To me, just more evidence that 9 ball is not broken and remains a formidable enough challenge for pros.

When it starts being reported that pros are running out sets and the opposing player never has a turn an the table, then I'll say that 9 ball is too easy. Until then, you still gotta beat your opponent, not just the table layout.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Yeah, from the results I’ve seen, 50% would be an absolute gold standard.

Regardless, if we consider that a break and run for a top, top pro is anything like flipping coins, then we should consider that in a long match (race to 100, in which about 185 games are played) we can expect to see runs of four or five or higher, in part because every break and run presents a new chance to start a run. In a normal race you only get one chance to start a run of a significant number of games.

In other words, if we flip a coin 100 times, we will have five straight heads in there somewhere. If I say, “flip five straight heads, right now, starting with flip number one,” it probably ain’t happening.
The odds are 1.5%, so they would be in the 100 flips, (statistically). LIFE has a way of defying the odds. It could happen the first time; or it could take 500 times. 1.5% is just the mean of the total # of flips.

Badpenguin

With the reputation of so many people being able to run so many rack in a row, that it's mind blowing, why is it, that the BEST players on the planet playing in the World Pool Masters event right now, in a race to 7, can't manage to run more than a 3 pack, or has someone finally done that yet? Didn't someone mention Joshua Filler just ran 25 racks in practice before this event? I would think with those abilities he'd have NO problem shutting out an opponent 7/0 with a 7 pack! So what's changed, no ball in hand to start with after the break?
  • Racking the 9 ball on the spot
  • Players are not racking for themselves (read what you want into that)
  • New, slick cloth
  • Alternating break (in some tournaments)
  • Drug testing (WPA events)

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
How about getting mechanics and cue engineers involved in a match.

The way to chalk, the way to adjust the cue, setting up the bridge, ...

Equipment checks are important however rarely done.

Coaching is real, so is engineering. Every sport has its mechanic and coach and ...
WPA equipment certification inspections. Collect a yearly fee or some type of event fee or on site monitor.

They will know if a table is true or favoring. A table reader.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
......small # of b&r's , but I do remember one magical evening 'snapping' the 9 on 3 consecutive games

Best wishes for 24'
kat

While it is impressive, it is hard to count a template rack, bar table, soft break, (pattern rack.) I'd much rather watch an old school bar table match with a wood rack where people get out of line and have to come with something in order to stay at the table.
Templates are trash for this reason. I’d never use one in a money match against an equal(or close) opponent.

Totally agree with the sentiment of what you’re saying btw.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the reputation of so many people being able to run so many rack in a row, that it's mind blowing, why is it, that the BEST players on the planet playing in the World Pool Masters event right now, in a race to 7, can't manage to run more than a 3 pack, or has someone finally done that yet? Didn't someone mention Joshua Filler just ran 25 racks in practice before this event? I would think with those abilities he'd have NO problem shutting out an opponent 7/0 with a 7 pack! So what's changed, no ball in hand to start with after the break?
I know better than to disagree wit RKC but these tournaments stats is for guys whose primary concern after winning is not losing. They only go for dead outs or attempts with lots of cover. Ones and twos seem to be "the way". lol...