What is the most consecutive racks of 9 ball ever run?

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
The break-and-run rate in professional tournament 9-ball on 9-ft tables runs around 25%.

So taking that rate, here are the odds of one player running racks under those conditions. I've bolded the rows which are easiest to remember:

B&Rs in a rowOdds
2-pack1 in 15
3-pack1 in 63
4-pack1 in 250
5-pack1 in 1,000
6-pack1 in 4,000
7-pack1 in 16,000
8-pack1 in 66,000
9-pack1 in 262,000
10-pack1 in a million
15-pack1 in a billion
20-pack1 in a trillion
25-pack1 in a quadrillion (1,000,000,000,000,000)
30-pack1 in a quintillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000)
40-pack1 in 1E+24 (1 followed by 24 zeros)

So if you're curious what a top player could do on a practice table playing the 9-ball God (no ball in hand), we could take Fedor Gorst's recent race to 21 video, which he lost 19 to 21, for a win rate of 47.5%. Here are the odds of a player of that caliber under similar conditions running racks:

B&Rs in a row (practice table conditions, top player)Odds
5-pack1 in 40
10-pack1 in 1,709
15-pack1 in 71,000
20-pack1 in 2.9 million
25-pack1 in 121 million
30-pack1 in 5 billion

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Running 9 racks from the lag is possible and has probably been done. Maybe 2-3 times. Maybe never. ...
Bob Vanover ran 9 and out in a race to 9 in the Texas Open. Kaçi had his 8-and-out from the lag against Pagulayan at 10 ball. Such things happen but they are rare. I think AtLarge's statistics will show that many pro events don't have a five-pack.

The amazing numbers mentioned here -- like over 20 racks -- must have more to the story. Wired wing balls, dead nine ball out of the rack, pockets as big as all outdoors, ball in hand after the break, pattern racking, something else.

Back in the 70s there was a story circulating of a bar player in LA who had a 30-pack. Does anyone have a story to beat that?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another factor is the situation, which is going to throw the odds off.

When Earl ran his 11 racks for the million, he was not playing 9 ball in a tournament. Not really. He was shooting for a million. After 5 racks -- and playing against a lower-level player -- playing safe was not a possibility. At that point Earl was playing the ghost and the ghost had a gun.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s one for the ages, it goes like this.
Once upon a time, there was a “road Gambler”, dodged by many of the best, once he became a known player.
At his own pool parlor, when he practiced, here was his routine:
The”rack man” would rack the balls with all balls in their same position, time after time.
The story goes that he would practice breaking the balls, making the one ball in the same pocket on each consecutive break.
He continued to run each consecutive ball into the same pocket that it was previously shot into, until the rack was finished, re-racked and the same sequence was performed, time after time, until he tired out and stopped to take a break.
A tip of the hat to Wade Crane “Billy Johnson” from Mt. Airy, NC.
Boom
Boom

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob Vanover ran 9 and out in a race to 9 in the Texas Open. Kaçi had his 8-and-out from the lag against Pagulayan at 10 ball. Such things happen but they are rare. I think AtLarge's statistics will show that many pro events don't have a five-pack.
Bob, I was in the audience when Bob accomplished this feat. Lizard (Steve Smith) won the lag, broke dry. Did not return to table.

Bob, before shooting the last 9-ball (slight cut in bottom left corner) stopped and powdered his hands,

This was on a Brunswick 4x8 with generous pockets. Back before the 4 1/2 and 4 1/4 pockets. Bob was, to say the least, a very solid player.

As an add-on, Bob was playing with a McDermott Rose cue.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When Earl ran his 11 racks for the million, he was not playing 9 ball in a tournament. Not really. He was shooting for a million. After 5 racks -- and playing against a lower-level player -- playing safe was not a possibility. At that point Earl was playing the ghost and the ghost had a gun.

good point. kind of like when snooker players go for a maximum, it doesn't happen as often as it could because it's often not the wisest shot selection. guys like filler and gorst can make just about any tough cut on the table, but often turns it down because of %.

there should be no safety allowed tournament once per year. 4.5" pockets.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I thought the issue with Earl’s run was that he didn’t run out all the racks. He had early 9’s which resulted in a win but not a runout.🤔

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member

The amazing numbers mentioned here -- like over 20 racks -- must have more to the story. Wired wing balls, dead nine ball out of the rack, pockets as big as all outdoors, ball in hand after the break, pattern racking, something else.

Back in the 70s there was a story circulating of a bar player in LA who had a 30-pack. Does anyone have a story to beat that?
Busti ran...what was it...a 7 pack of 10 ball on the 10 footer at the derby big foot event on film...who remembers the actual package and I have to wonder what the odds were of performing that memorable feat????

edit: perhaps it was actually the Fatboy Challenge?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my younger days playing in a tournament in PHX at the Golden 8 Ball. My opponent broke and made a ball then played safe. I two rail kicked the 1 ball in and ran the table. Then it was break run, break run, break run, break 9, break 9, break 9. Is that a six pack? I've never come close since.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought the issue with Earl’s run was that he didn’t run out all the racks. He had early 9’s which resulted in a win but not a runout.🤔
Yes, the 11 racks included early nines on the break and otherwise but in the context of this discussion, I think early nines count.

(And it was 11 rather than the required 10 because the last five racks had to be recorded and the recording didn't start until after six. Or so I was told at the time.)

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, the 11 racks included early nines on the break and otherwise but in the context of this discussion, I think early nines count.

(And it was 11 rather than the required 10 because the last five racks had to be recorded and the recording didn't start until after six. Or so I was told at the time.)
I used to have it on VHS, but lent it out & lost track of it.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
The break-and-run rate in professional tournament 9-ball on 9-ft tables runs around 25%.

So taking that rate, here are the odds of one player running racks under those conditions. I've bolded the rows which are easiest to remember:

B&Rs in a rowOdds
2-pack1 in 15
3-pack1 in 63
4-pack1 in 250
5-pack1 in 1,000
6-pack1 in 4,000
7-pack1 in 16,000
8-pack1 in 66,000
9-pack1 in 262,000
10-pack1 in a million
15-pack1 in a billion
20-pack1 in a trillion
25-pack1 in a quadrillion (1,000,000,000,000,000)
30-pack1 in a quintillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000)
40-pack1 in 1E+24 (1 followed by 24 zeros)
None of these data suggests to me that 9 ball is "too easy". IMHO of course.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if you're curious what a top player could do on a practice table playing the 9-ball God (no ball in hand), we could take Fedor Gorst's recent race to 21 video, which he lost 19 to 21, for a win rate of 47.5%. Here are the odds of a player of that caliber under similar conditions running racks:

B&Rs in a row (practice table conditions, top player)Odds
5-pack1 in 40
10-pack1 in 1,709
15-pack1 in 71,000
20-pack1 in 2.9 million
25-pack1 in 121 million
30-pack1 in 5 billion
I have to try play race to 21 too ...
I can beat GOD race to 7 or 9 but it is super tiring. I bet stamina is big factor.