What is the right shot here?

I would load it up with right hand english and just miss the 8 ball with a level cue at medium speed and a steady smooth long stroke. It will naturally curve a little and the right english will help spin the ball in the rest of the way. You would have the natural spin and angle off the 1 ball to go 2 rails with a controlled speed to stay on top of the 2 ball for an easy cut.

But that's just me. I spin the ball way too much...I'm told. But I have shot similar shots in the same situation and have been successful more than not. The jump on a bar table scares me because it's very hard to judge the speed of the cueball after making the shot. Of course, the jump is easier for those that do it all the time.

Dave
 
Playing on a BB. First shot after the break. The 8 is just a hair in the way of being able to shoot between the 8 and the 6 to make the one. Pushout option is available. Score is 8-8 going to 11. Opponent is a run-out player. The 2 does go in the corner, but is tight. I chose either the wrong option, or, more likely, the right option, executed wrongly. I lost the game.:( What is the proper action here??

CueTable Help



I would call a push and softly cut the five-ball on it's right-hand side moving the two-ball to the short rail and putting the cue-ball close to the nine-ball. This leaves basically nothing but a kick shot for whichever one of you ends up shooting it. Then proceed from there and see if a better opportunity comes up for a better offensive OR defensive shot. I don't jump well so this wasn't an option for me. Maybe for somebody else though.

Maniac
 
I would just jump the shot with my playing cue without putting right or left on it. You don't have to jump it much and the cueball will pick up enough forward spin to go off he short rail and back down for position on the 2.

I agree with this answer. Putting any english on the cue ball in this situation significantly lowers your chances for a good outcome.
 
I see two tollerably good shot attempts; both are gentle massés. The one to the left of the 8-ball is tricky due to the 6-ball down table, but here, the spin on the cue ball is going to help throw the 1-ball towards the pocket, and the massé amount is less. The one to the right of the 8-ball is 'open' and the cue ball impacts at a better angle, but the distance to move the cue ball is greater.

I would pick the massé based on how the balls looked when I was at the table. I can't pick from thdiagram given. Left is easier if you can miss the 6-ball because the massé distance looks to be about 1/3-1/4 as much as to the right.
 
Back
Top