What Joint Is This?

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
Hi all,

As mentioned in thread title, would anyone enlighten me is this a 5/16x18 joint? I've tried to fit my 2 brandless cue shafts and they wouldn't fit. My playing and break cue are both 5/16x14. But when I used a Dufferin shaft, its able to twist in but it doesn't go all the way in. My Dufferin is also a 5/16x14. The cue butt shown in the picture is also a brandless one that my friend gave me and he also have no idea what joint it is.

IMG_8898_zps4397e529.jpg

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm intending to order a break shaft on Ebay. Its in the link as below but yet I'm afraid it wouldn't fit then I would waste my money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111177816171

Anyone knows?

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like it, but if you want to be sure you could go to lowes or Home Depot and pick up a 5/16-18 bolt to compare.

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
It looks like it, but if you want to be sure you could go to lowes or Home Depot and pick up a 5/16-18 bolt to compare.

I googled online and they say you could actually count the threads? I counted and it didn't seem to have 16 or 18 though. Let's say I'm able to screw a 5/16x18 joint protector in, means its that thread?

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I googled online and they say you could actually count the threads? I counted and it didn't seem to have 16 or 18 though. Let's say I'm able to screw a 5/16x18 joint protector in, means its that thread?

Yes you can figure it out yourself. The 5/16 refers to the width of the pin. The other number be it 14 or 18 or whatever refers to the threads per inch. If I was you I would take it to my local pool hall and ask around. Guaranteed that someone there will be able to tell you pretty quickly.

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
It looks like a 5/16-14 (not 5/16-18 for sure) to me, but there are different versions of this thread. Schon is one that does it and shafts aren't interchangeable with standard 5/16-14s...

Last edited:

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
Yes you can figure it out yourself. The 5/16 refers to the width of the pin. The other number be it 14 or 18 or whatever refers to the threads per inch. If I was you I would take it to my local pool hall and ask around. Guaranteed that someone there will be able to tell you pretty quickly.

I counted like 14 or 15 but my 5/16x14 shaft couldn't fit.

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
It looks like a 5/16-14 (not 5/16-18 for sure) to me, but there are different versions of this threads. Schon is one that does it and shafts aren't interchangeable with standard 5/16-14s...

The cue butt is a brandless one from Taiwan. My friend doesn't remember who's the cue maker as well. He bought it in a shop.

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Does it screw in until it reaches the pilot? Usually, I think that is the difference. A Nova has larger pilot than a typical 5/16-14, so it will screw onto the pin but cant seat properly because the pilot is too big.

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
Does it screw in until it reaches the pilot? Usually, I think that is the difference. A Nova has larger pilot than a typical 5/16-14, so it will screw onto the pin but cant seat properly because the pilot is too big.

Both of my 5/16x14 shafts can't even screw in. The Dufferin gets stuck around the middle of the thread.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Good advice. Use a bolt, not a nut. The nut is not long enough to check and could screw onto either thread.
The bolt will have a longer threaded area. There isn't much difference between 14 and 18 threads per inch.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
dont know what pin it is but to add to the confusion there are ACME pins that have the same numbers but dont firt the standard versions
i beleive

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Could it possibly be metric????

Counter people in stores that sell fasteners (nuts & bolts) usually have gauges that measure size & thread pitch.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It is not an Acme thread
I just threaded a Dufferin 5/16-14 thread onto a Joss West and a Schon with no problem.
If it is in fact a 5/16-14 thread as it appears, it is very odd that the 314-2 shaft doesn't fit, because the ones I've had over the years fit everything.

mrjobe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good advice. Use a bolt, not a nut. The nut is not long enough to check and could screw onto either thread.
The bolt will have a longer threaded area. There isn't much difference between 14 and 18 threads per inch.

Thats actually quite a bit of difference, an extra 4 threads per inch is about 25%.

No way they fit each other.

I'd take your butt to a hardware store and try to fit nuts on until you find the winner.

Do you have a set of calipers? If so just meassure 1/2" of the pin and count the full threads then x2.

I count 10 full threads, so if the threaded portion of the pin is 3/4"ish long that would equal a 14 TPI thread. If its closer to 1/2" of threads your looking at the 18 pitch thread.