What player do you model your game after?

wixo3

welp
Silver Member
For those who model their game after a certain player: what player do you try to play like? What parts of their game do you try to adopt most?

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I model my game mostly after mark denton. He is a real smooth player with a truly great stroke.
Oh wait. That's me :))))))) in my dreams!!!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Mike Sigel, as far as patterns and style in straight pool. And I try to shoot smoothly like Buddy Hall. Needless to say I fall short of both, but it helps to keep me focused.

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player I play most like is Rodney Morris. What I like and try so incorporate into my game is his relaxed, confident style just like you have done it all your life and every table is a practice table. Rodney is very fluid and moves the rock around the way I feel it should.

Last edited:

wixo3

welp
Silver Member
The player I play most like is Rodney Morris. What I like and try so incorporate into my game is his relaxed, confident style just like you have done it all your life and every table is a practice table. Rodney is very fluid and moves the rock around the way I feel it should.

gotta love how effortless he makes it look.. also admire how he manages to stay relaxed even when he's having a bad game

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who model their game after a certain player: what player do you try to play like? What parts of their game do you try to adopt most?

Nice question, I started out doing the Efren loose stroke, 15-20 years later turns out I can't actually shoot very well that way LOL. After I saw Shane I started to have a more controlled stroke with more of a pause. Always liked how Buddy and Nick played also, and the insights from AccuStats commentary from Buddy, Grady and Billy have helped me with shot selection and strategy.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Joe Bill Priff, was the guy who lit the way for me. One of the best One Pocket players to have ever come through the Ozarks.
We called him Big Joe, on account of his weight. Some say he tipped the scales at over four hundred pounds, but I think it was closer to five. In any event, he was an imposing figure around a pool table.
One afternoon, while playing some cheap One Pocket with a fellow from down near Granby, Joe reached out for a shot, when he should have used a crutch, and got stuck on the head rail with his quarter ton body teetering half on, and half, off the table.
In only a few seconds time John's face began turning red, and in a few seconds more he was turning blue. All stretched out like that he was evidently not getting enough air to breath. Well, we all went into a panic.
One guy yelled out: "Call and ambulance!"
Another one hollered: "What's the phone number for the Fire Department?"
A guy in the back said: "Dial 911".
The other guy shouted: "I can't find nine-hundred and eleven on the damn telephone."
Finally, the manager came over, sized up the situation, and told two of the boys to crawl up on the table and push up on Joe's chin and shoulders. He instructed three others to push down, as hard as they could, on Joe's legs. "And", he said, "be quick about boys. He's a turning gray!"
Back and forth they pushed, and I swear I've never heard such grunting and groaning in all my life, until finally he came unstuck and dropped to the floor.
When he came too, Joe's eyes were as big as saucers. "Whew!", he said, after catching his breath. "I thought I was a goner."
After a couple of minutes. "So tell me. Did I make the shot?" :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy

First saw this cat play in '79 and for a total newbie it was a near-religious experience. That butter-smooth stroke with the little pause was/is hypnotic. Cue ball control off the charts. Saw him play recently and yeah he's pushin' 70 and overweight but he still plays that same methodical, put-em-to sleep game. Oh yeah, he banks as good Bugs or Eddie, btw.

wixo3

welp
Silver Member
Nice question, I started out doing the Efren loose stroke, 15-20 years later turns out I can't actually shoot very well that way LOL. After I saw Shane I started to have a more controlled stroke with more of a pause.

Funny you say this because I too tried to copy the loose Filipino stroke, primarily Bustamante's crazy bicycle stroke. I even held the cue with 2-3 fingers like they tend to do. Recently I've tried tightening up my stroke and gripping the cue a bit tighter with 3-4 fingers, and I've been seeing some good results. :thumbup:

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt.
i love the way he plays straight pool and one pocket. to me, he's just the right mix of aggressive and conservative. all in all a really straight shooter when he's in stroke. exactly like me (not). ha. but he's the guy i watch a lot of matches of, and try to emulate whenever possible.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I modeled my game very closely after this guy. After years spent perfecting his lessons, I truly feel like a real 'Floydster'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6rkxYc7c5M

I can easily walk into any pool hall in this country and walk out with a sandwich and a pepsi. :thumbup:

And, yes I despise trophies..........