What Shafts Draw better ???

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best draw I have ever hit was with my Jacoby Black. Second was probably an old Meucci shaft.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its the arrow not the indian
you cannot be serious
Agreed - the shaft / tip might help some, but you are either gifted with a strong draw stroke or like most of us, we weren’t.

I know of some very strong players that don’t have a powerful draw stroke as well as some not very strong players that have amazingly powerful draw strokes that love to show it off.

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Through all the shafts that you owed or played with what Shaft drew the cue ball better ??? thanks
Shorty all things being equal (both players) people are transferring lots of energy with carbon fiber. With a good stroke (follow thru) any shaft should get you across the pool table 7,8 or 9 feet. I prefer heavier cues 19.5-20.5, the extra weight lets the cue do the work. I almost never need to draw the length of a table 1-7 feet should get the job done and any shaft can do that. There are no stupid questions!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its the arrow not the indian
you cannot be serious
Draw is achieved by TWO things: tip off-set and a quality strike. In another thread someone said shaft flex affects draw. Wrong. Any flexing that occurs does so well AFTER the ball is long gone. Tip-to-cueball contact time lasts about 1-2 milliseconds. A human eye-blink takes about 200 milliseconds.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shorty all things being equal (both players) people are transferring lots of energy with carbon fiber. With a good stroke (follow thru) any shaft should get you across the pool table 7,8 or 9 feet. I prefer heavier cues 19.5-20.5, the extra weight lets the cue do the work. I almost never need to draw the length of a table 1-7 feet should get the job done and any shaft can do that. There are no stupid questions!

This is in no way directed at Shorty… but allow me to say that yes, yes there are stupid questions! 😁
So yes, but people should not be nasty. Over the years I have asked every question even when training with instructors from time to time. Its easy to get stuck on your equipment when you have reached a plateau.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first good cue was a Meucci Original Buddy Hall-series BH-1. My next cue was a Dan Janes Joss with steel-joint and ivory ferrules. MUCH stiffer cue than the Moochie. I could draw the hell out of it with either cue. I've owned all kinds since then and never felt one drew better than another.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell yeah!
I’m a lifelong dirty bird fan as well since the Bartkowski era, but aren’t you guys about 4 years too late? I can’t think of anything that’s happened since then that would give us any hope that things are going to get any better.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just like chalk where there is some really bad stuff but most of it works just fine, with shafts there are a few outliers that are really, really bad but most shafts draw just fine.

Sometimes a shaft with a different weight or length or balance may seem to work a lot differently for draw but that might be because the difference gets you to hit farther from center. Lots of players never learn to play with a lot of spin.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m a lifelong dirty bird fan as well since the Bartkowski era, but aren’t you guys about 4 years too late? I can’t think of anything that’s happened since then that would give us any hope that things are going to get any better.
eh I'll always cheer for the birds. But I agree the best thing that's going to happen is getting a new coach and maybe a new QB.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read all the replies here.
But in the mid 80's I had a steel jointed Schon and it played very good.
I sold it (dumb move coming here) and bought a Meucci (that fell apart in 6 months) and with that Meucci with a flat faced implex(?)joint I could get a lot more draw with the same effort then with the Schon.
I have no idea why but I had to relearn my draw stroke.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read all the replies here.
But in the mid 80's I had a steel jointed Schon and it played very good.
I sold it (dumb move coming here) and bought a Meucci (that fell apart in 6 months) and with that Meucci with a flat faced implex(?)joint I could get a lot more draw with the same effort then with the Schon.
I have no idea why but I had to relearn my draw stroke.
The Meucci does have lower defl. than a Schon. Its possible that less defl. could result in a little more spin. I've owned Schon's and Meucci's and couldn't see any more draw myself.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Check the cue ball. If it's spinning like crazy, it's probably smaller than the object balls.
Some shafts may seem like they can draw a lot compared to other shafts. But the truth is in the tip size and profile. Tip hardness is also a big factor.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I don't believe any stick draws or spins the ball much better than another - I've tested a bunch of them and never found a real difference. Sure, power transfer counts with draw and follow, but not for much. The real difference is stroke accuracy.

Nobody's 100% accurate with tip placement, but players with more reliable strokes (on the right below) hit closer to their target, so they can aim closer to the limit without risking a miscue - so they're consistently better at it.

The greater the speed, the greater the difference. Power or accuracy - if you're not an advanced player, choose one.

pj
chgo

Shot Groups.jpg

Last edited: