What Shafts Draw better ???

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Small differences can be the result of better power transfer (shaft). More than that and it's almost certainly stroke accuracy - maybe paying closer attention when testing cues...

pj
chgo
I would eliminate stroke accuracy by playing the same shot many times with one cue, then many times with another cue. Try doing this and explain any 'non-small' difference for the cues average result,

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You haven't really tested them if you think any juice much differently, especially with side spin (draw and follow respond a little to more power transfer). Recollection (or impression or feeling) isn't a test.

pj
chgo
Did I state I "tested" them? NO I did not.
Did the op ask about test results? NO he did not.

You obviously "test" so what is your answer? You cant say they all are nearly the same - either they are or they arent.
So which shaft draws the best? (This is not a rhetorical question.)

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a guy that comes in my local room that is the poster-boy for this stuff. He's got a real nice later JossWest butt, $400 carbon shaft, $35 glove, uses $25 chalk and still can't make four balls if his life was on the line. Guy has no clue. Horrible stance and a stroke as crooked as a D.C. lawyer. But hey, he feeds the game by buyin' this stuff and paying a LOT of pool time $. The game could use more like him in that regard.

I have a general theory about guys like that.

It goes like this: the longer it takes a guy to hit the first ball, the worse player he is. IOWs, when I see a guy come in, put two cues together, go to the bathroom, put on his glove, carefully chalk his cue, put the balls in the rack (or even better set up an elaborate drill), go to the bar to get a drink, look at his phone, and adjust his earbuds, it's usually a bad sign.

Lou Figueroa

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I would eliminate stroke accuracy by playing the same shot many times with one cue, then many times with another cue. Try doing this and explain the 'non-small' differences.
I've done that, checking chalk marks after each shot to be sure I'm hitting the same distance from centerball - never saw any non-small differences.

pj
chgo

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh
I have a general theory about guys like that.

It goes like this: the longer it takes a guy to hit the first ball, the worse player he is. IOWs, when I see a guy come in, put two cues together, go to the bathroom, put on his glove, carefully chalk his cue, put the balls in the rack (or even better set up an elaborate drill), go to the bar to get a drink, look at his phone, and adjust his earbuds, it's usually a bad sign.

Lou Figueroa
Oh god it is me.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...when I see a guy come in, put two cues together, go to the bathroom, put on his glove, carefully chalk his cue, put the balls in the rack (or even better set up an elaborate drill), go to the bar to get a drink, look at his phone, and adjust his earbuds, it's usually a bad sign.
lol

How about if they take a bridge off the wall and try to "unscrew" the head to use the "cue" it's attached to?

Yeah, I've seen it... :oops:

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Curious though... how did you determine what the [ miscue ] limit is...? Is there nothing that can increase that limit..?
The simple theory says that if you can increase the tip-ball friction you can hit farther out.

If you look at it closer, there is a problem with hitting farther out. The more off-center the hit, the less speed the cue ball will have and the less the cue stick will slow down. Eventually you don't get clean tip/ball separation at the end of the shot. Or at least that's the theory. The theory also says that a lighter stick should reduce the problem because it will slow down more.

Geosnookery

My observation. It’s mostly about tip diameter and technique. Good short clip by Shaun Murphy a top ranked Snooker player. Remember this is a 12 ‘ table. He uses an 8.75 mm tip ( I use 9mm).

I use a snooker cue for American pool so the few times I use an American cue I admit that I’m not as used to it. However, I get twice the screw back with a snooker cue. The only major difference is cue tip size.

( snooker uses the term ‘screw‘ shots for draw shots)

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The circle drawn on the cue balls is the miscue limit - you can’t hit farther from center (in any direction) without miscuing.

It can look like you’re hitting farther out, because when hitting near the miscue limit only the edge of your tip contacts the ball and the rest of the tip is outside the limit. With maximum draw pretty much the whole tip is below the limit, almost rubbing the cloth - but it contacts the ball higher up, above (or on) the limit, like shown.

pj
chgo
It doesn't hit much higher because the tip is domed and sharper radius than the CB, but I see you posted the circle is the same size as the striped section of high balls. we are talking the same area. The diagram makes it appear smaller like the white section of an 8 ball. The edge of a stripe from slate is about the top of a tip up. Without hitting this limit consistently people are missing out on spin. Many swing too hard and closer to middle, when a more controlled stroke on the edge of miscue will generate way more spin.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My observation. It’s mostly about tip diameter and technique. Good short clip by Shaun Murphy a top ranked Snooker player. Remember this is a 12 ‘ table. He uses an 8.75 mm tip ( I use 9mm).

I use a snooker cue for American pool so the few times I use an American cue I admit that I’m not as used to it. However, I get twice the screw back with a snooker cue. The only major difference is cue tip size.

I was going to say that I know I can generate heavy draw with my Z2 (11.75) easier then I can with the wx700 (12.5) I have been playing with lately.

Max draw isn't much different to be honest (slight edge to the Z2), but I can reach that point with less effort with the Z2.

Geosnookery

It doesn't hit much higher because the tip is domed and sharper radius than the CB, but I see you posted the circle is the same size as the striped section of high balls. we are talking the same area. The diagram makes it appear smaller like the white section of an 8 ball. The edge of a stripe from slate is about the top of a tip up. Without hitting this limit consistently people are missing out on spin. Many swing too hard and closer to middle, when a more controlled stroke on the edge of miscue will generate way more spin.

Re doned tips.

Just coincidence but tip of Shaun Murphy, same fellow as in video clip above. Many pro snooker players shape for a mushroom tip to get the contact at as extreme an edge as reasonable on the cueball. If possible they’ll change the tip a couple months before the new season or to get the desired shape.

Attachments

• ADC1C9F8-B054-435F-B0F8-A0049C0D6C32.jpeg
    ADC1C9F8-B054-435F-B0F8-A0049C0D6C32.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 72

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to say that I know I can generate heavy draw with my Z2 (11.75) easier then I can with the wx700 (12.5) I have been playing with lately.

Max draw isn't much different to be honest (slight edge to the Z2), but I can reach that point with less effort with the Z2.
Yeah. Mezz WX700 is shitty IMO. I had it and sold it due it did not give same amount spin than any other decent shaft i had. My observation about draw is that all good cues normally draw about same. But there are cues that just dont give same amount spin. No matter what u try. I think more matters tip. Really soft tips compress more and create more surface between tip and ball and more surface means more friction.
Not sure about that. That is just my own thinking and my shooting supports my theory. Maybe Bob or someone educated person can give thoughts about this?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is also n10 Strachan and heated table most likely. Those tables are so fast that is unreal. Normal club players never get shot on those kind confitions. He got really good stroke and draw is really good but hard to compare to pool table with old 860..