• SL9

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • other

Votes: 8 6.8%

• Total voters

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I left your name off of the quote because I can't blame you, or anyone else, for following what you are told. If you are told, or expected to play within these rating systems, then it's what you know and understand.

I do have a problem when someone some says, "well around these parts, you'd be x rated, but over in that other city you'd be xy++A rated." Why? Because, it makes all of these "systems" ambiguous. I might as well make up my own since I live in a different country. When we have to add symbols to the ratings, it becomes a joke or at the very simplest, a sign of poor planning.

The number totals come from a rating system designed to test your ability to pot balls and play position. It is a variation of Straight Pool and Hopkins Q-Skills, but adapted to allow for weaker players. The A+++ rated players (we have wonky ratings here too) often get humbled by Fargo.

I posted it before, but it got buried in a thread but I think a combination of PAT + Fargo is a much better way to rate a player.

Since I'm already long in this post, I'll go further, but only a little. According to Accu-Stats, Dominguez shot an average of (I think) 68% on the TAR table. Shane was around 84% (I don't have the stats handy but this is close enough). If Shane is A++++ then what if I shot 96%? What is my rating? A+++++++? This is where these weird systems fall apart because they can't handle even moderately better players.

No matter where I am, or what city surrounds me, I shoot the same. However, in Vegas, I'm roughly an APA 5, in Florida I was rated a 7. There are badges that say, "I beat an APA 7!!" If you get a badge to say you beat me, the standard's pretty low. If people here are 9's (probably are) then I expect to see you kicking Shane's ass up and down the table. Of course, he's an APA 24. I hope you get 3 badges for it. Unless you play him in New York. There you just get an angry stare and a chilli-dog.

First let me apologize. I just re-read my post and I realize I came off a bit harsh. I guess my defenses are always up on this site cause of all the trolls. I thought you were being rude when at the end you said "screw it, I'm a....", but in fact you were just being humorous. Sometimes humor is hard to convey without being able to hear the tone of someone's voice and especially hard when it's being typed on a computer. So again I apologize.

I figured it had something to do with straight pool. Too many rating systems out there and many of them can be manipulated to one's advantage. I'll just continue to let others put a rating on me and play. After that my game can speak for itself. It's just too bad that my game mostly laughs at itself!:D

I would feel more comfortable if Shane was an APA 100! He's incredible on a bar box, let alone a Valley bar box with canyons for pockets! I would try him in a 100 to 7 8Ball race! I may not be able to handle it after he beats me though!:(

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Man I wish some of you guys lived close by. I'd love to invite you over for Dinner and drinks while we play a few games.

:thumbup:So envious

It's common knowledge that internet pool is a lot easier than real life pool. Similar concept with internet cars being a lot faster than real life cars. Also internet girls looking a whole lot better than real life pedophiles.

Reverse effect with intercourse.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
There are badges that say, "I beat an APA 7!!" If you get a badge to say you beat me, the standard's pretty low. If people here are 9's (probably are) then I expect to see you kicking Shane's ass up and down the table. Of course, he's an APA 24. I hope you get 3 badges for it. Unless you play him in New York. There you just get an angry stare and a chilli-dog.

Maniac LOVES chili-dogs :thumbup:!!!

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's common knowledge that internet pool is a lot easier than real life pool. Similar concept with internet cars being a lot faster than real life cars. Also internet girls looking a whole lot better than real life pedophiles.

Reverse effect with intercourse.

This isn't always true. There are some honest people here. I agree that there are probably many that over-inflate their talents.

We should probably have everyone record themselves playing the ghost, post it to YouTube, and put a link in your signature line. That way when someone says something you can click the link and see if it's true ;)

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't always true. There are some honest people here. I agree that there are probably many that over-inflate their talents.

We should probably have everyone record themselves playing the ghost, post it to YouTube, and put a link in your signature line. That way when someone says something you can click the link and see if it's true ;)

I like this idea alot. I have been thinking about doing that just for the fun of it. I havent beaten the ghost in a race to 10 yet but have gotten pretty close. That is one of my goals.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I just re-read my post and I realize I came off a bit harsh. I guess my defenses are always up on this site cause of all the trolls.

I figured it had something to do with straight pool. Too many rating systems out there and many of them can be manipulated to one's advantage.

I would feel more comfortable if Shane was an APA 100!

No worries, I agree tone is hard to decipher over a forum. People who've met me know I say the same words in person, but they can hear that I've an honest interest in seeing pool do better. I've met quite a few RSBers and a few of the AZers. I'll even be at the US Open 1-Pocket should anyone wonder what my tone is. Trolls certainly have gotten a toehold, but I don't hide behind imaginary Learjets and airbarrels. I'm easy to find.

Even Fargo is susceptible to sandbagging/manipulation. I don't see a point in it, but then again I'm neither interested in who has the biggest score or who I can steal money from. I'm just interested in the honest results. I'd like to play to the best of my ability on any given day, come what may. I make money during the day, nighttime is friendly competition.

The problem with the APA 100 rating though is he's got nowhere to go if he improves more. So for the one particular TAR match against Earl, he was about 84% of a perfect game. Now since he's currently the man to beat, you know you have to come with 84 or better. Not NY 37% or Tulsa 29%, but 84%.

I can be honest because I'm not a world-beater trying to hustle. I shoot high-C/low-B in Fargo. It's hard. In IPAT 1, I play between 900-1100 but that's a large range because the test takes a few hours in a public venue so my I don't have enough scores to narrow it.

Those ratings aren't bolstered by internet bravado, lots of people have seen me play. I've had slumps where everything has sucked. A low B in Fargo, as far as I've seen, is strong. Shane would probably be in the 240-250 range and I'm ok with that. I'm not Shane. I may not be able to give people here the 8 and the break, but AZ has one helluva group of real poolplayers. To be in the same company is actually pretty damned good.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
[...]
Screw it, I'm A+++AAA!~!!!one11!!AA! rated. MWHGAHA!

Ghosst:

Your rating is *so* high, that you change the GPS latitude of the ground you walk on! (Heck, you think [and say] you're in Alberta, Canada, but in actuality, you're in Mexico and just don't know it...)

:p
-Sean <-- has to wear lead boots, otherwise his skill level elevates him into outer space...

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I be at 5/5..have been so for five years I think...my drinking keeps getting in the way..no wait,thats on fridays..on sundays I have no clue..my friends say I should try harder..other that know me..say stop sandbagging..I just shake my head..an wish I could shoot better then I do at times,or that I could shoot as while as some think I can...ooo..well thats life in the bangers lane..not to be taken to serious..please an thank you.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only played one season of CPA(APA) 9 ball and finished the season as a 9. Played lots of VNEA/BCA and am a master in both.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc you ever play some one that beat you out of a little,didnt make you pay and payed your time?Some guys are just nice.;)

Some guys are just nice....gotta agree with that. The rest of it just went clean over my head..... :confused:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
-Sean <-- has to wear lead boots, otherwise his skill level elevates him into outer space...

Dude, you should have seen Wade playing snooker for $100/rack last night. He plays a little above me but I can't write down his rating so you could compare because I only have 3 widescreen monitors. There's like 87 A's, 412 +'s, 71 !'s, a bunch of one's, and some other cryptographic characters that you need security clearance just to think about. It's pretty cool.

And that's just his APA rating! You should see his VNEA stats :eek:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Some guys are just nice....gotta agree with that. The rest of it just went clean over my head..... :confused:
Well i remember maybe 1,2 years ago a friend of mine who owns the pool hall here gave me a call.Might be some action,so i show up to ask a tall fellow if he would like to play some 50 or 100 dollars sets i think ,he just wanted to play for 10 or 20 cant remember.Any way i ended up a set on the guy.told him to keep his money,got his time to.We had a conversation about az billiards while he was there,said his username was chopdoc.We also talked briefly about a pivot aiming system.lol. Pool hall in missouri,upstairs,the chalk and cue.
Anyway if this is the guy i played i enjoyed playing you.(Come back)
If not what are the chances of 2 chopdocs.:grin:

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well i remember maybe 1,2 years ago a friend of mine who owns the pool hall here gave me a call.Might be some action,so i show up to ask a tall fellow if he would like to play some 50 or 100 dollars sets i think ,he just wanted to play for 10 or 20 cant remember.Any way i ended up a set on the guy.told him to keep his money,got his time to.We had a conversation about az billiards while he was there,said his username was chopdoc.We also talked briefly about a pivot aiming system.lol. Pool hall in missouri,upstairs,the chalk and cue.
Anyway if this is the guy i played i enjoyed playing you.(Come back)
If not what are the chances of 2 chopdocs.:grin:

Well....that's amazing.

I am 5'6", maybe 5'7" on a good day with my boots on.

I have never played in Missouri....played a good bit in Mississippi 12 years ago. Probably as close as I can claim. Played in LA for a while 14 years ago. Before that....1980's to about 91 in PA, Ohio, New Jersey, West Virginia, New York. Played in Europe for about a year.....13 years ago, but that's pretty darned far from Missouri. I was traveling internationally a lot between 1995 and 2000, but I was hardly playing any pool. Last three years I have been in Florida.

Don't know anything about any aiming systems except that they exist and people argue about them a lot.

And lastly, you can see very well under my avatar that I have not belonged to this forum for nearly that long. I only joined in September of last year. If there was another Chopdoc here before then I can't imagine how I got his username.

Lastly, I haven't gambled on a pool game since 1991....except for an occasional beer.

So....cool story, but it isn't possible it was me. :confused:

Last edited:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
(Chopdoc)

Well i apologize to you sir.I could've sworn he said his user name was chopdoc.You could've played along, it was a true story.:D

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skill level

What skill level am I? Depends on who is asking, how much money they have and what spot they are giving up. Mainly how much money. :rolleyes:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(Chopdoc)

Well i apologize to you sir.I could've sworn he said his user name was chopdoc.You could've played along, it was a true story.:D

I would love to play along. But eventually, somebody is going to notice I'm kind of short......:D