What the F is going on here?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
If I had a pool hall and room for it I would add a few Corn hole setups.. charge by the hour...or maybe free because you know they will drink while they play.
Makes perfect sense. There are usually darts (unplayed) and shuffle board in a lot of bars. I wish there was something like cornhole games going on when waiting for your next turn in a tournament instead of sitting looking like a dummy for an hour.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I came across a billiard event on a channel called Eleven Sports and taped all future events. I get about 7 -8 different matches a week. You might want to look into your cable provider to see if they offer it.

I thought cornhole was bad until I saw TAG on ESPN. These guys ran around a a course and tried to tag one another before the time ran out. They all appeared to be hipsters and loved to hug each other after each tag. TAG

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
This comes up every so often. You can have pool on ESPN tomorrow if you want to buy the airtime from them. That is what the cornhole people are doing, that's what the womens Pro Pool Tour did when they were on ESPN the last time.

You buy the airtime, you sell the advertising spots allotted to you in that airtime. If you sell more in advertising than you pay for the airtime, you make money. After production costs, prize money, etc, etc. Easy peasy.

Go get'em, gang, put pool back on TV tomorrow. ESPN will sell you the airtime, I promise.

Geosnookery

I can't wait for the howls of outrage, here, with accompanying mocking when ESPN starts broadcasting pickleball.
I play pickleball. Take 10 random gals in our pickleball group and they would kick the ass of 10 random guys who play Pool. They are fit.

One of the variables working against billiards as a spectator sport in the USA. Americans aren’t that good at it. Americans excel at many sports…baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, track and field, etc.

Put big prizes and it would be twenty Asian women competing. On the men’s side, Filipinos, Chinese and middle ranked Snooker players dedicating themselves to Pool for the money. In a field of thirty-two players there may be a couple Anericans and odds of ‘maybe’ one in the quarter finals.

This week is the most watched world sporting event after the World Cup…the European Championship… every tv from Brazil to Warsaw tuned in. Hardly a blip in the USA understandably, because no American players involved. American Pool on tv doesn’t equate with ‘Americans’ playing pool on tv if there is big money prizes. It might come down to a final 8 men…6 have Chinese names that sounds alike, and a Filipino whose English you can understand better than the eighth player from Yorkshire in the UK

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom cornhole boards. Guy does not make them anymore.

He had just moved to the area, was a homebuilder and made cornhole boards as a hobby when he had time. These are built like a tank and pretty heavy. They are apart here, but they fit perfectly together and have a latch. Corners are reinforced with metal on the outside for when you bump into things moving them. Legs have independent adjustment with a level built-into the horizontal cross bar. There is storage for the bags built in underneath. I don't recall seeing anything close to this when I was looking for a set of boards.

View attachment 601110
I am curious if corn holers get screwed over like pool players do with custom orders.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I just turn on ESPN. The premier sport channel, and I am looking at a freaking Cornhole Championship. How the F can this be on and we cannot get a pool match on TV, This cornhole is about as exciting to watch as watching a turtle crossing a road. Surely a pool match of any kind has to be more interesting to watch than this cornhole sh*t.

What do we have to do to change this? I know this topic has been discussed at length. But this episode today just freaked me out.

At least one can imagine it takes a little hand eye coordination to compete in cornhole, what about cards?? ESPN has poker on all the time, I fail to see how poker is any sort of sport.

chenjy9

At least one can imagine it takes a little hand eye coordination to compete in cornhole, what about cards?? ESPN has poker on all the time, I fail to see how poker is any sort of sport.

It takes a lot of muscle control to maintain that poker face, or oversized sunglasses and baseball hats! /s

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
If you have a Roku device, live channel 228 FTF has pool quite often. It has a mix of pool, poker, bare knuckle boxing (on right now), nippon professional baseball (actually more entertaining than MLB), archery, etc. You can also add it to your home screen if you don't have the "live" option.

Pool isn't on every day, I'm not sure the schedule, but you can watch for probably 6 hours a night when it's on and it's got great production value.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It takes a lot of muscle control to maintain that poker face, or oversized sunglasses and baseball hats! /s
I know I'm in the minority here, but poker is just as much of a sport as pool.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I just turn on ESPN. The premier sport channel, and I am looking at a freaking Cornhole Championship. How the F can this be on and we cannot get a pool match on TV, This cornhole is about as exciting to watch as watching a turtle crossing a road. Surely a pool match of any kind has to be more interesting to watch than this cornhole sh*t.

What do we have to do to change this? I know this topic has been discussed at length. But this episode today just freaked me out.
Pool is boring to watch, people need to start facing reality and acknowledging the fact! I don't know why people are still surprised by this.

Even pool players don't watch pool, there are few limited amount of people who likes to watch pool, but not all.

Lets not even talk about people who don't play pool, they will yawn and pool will put them to sleep.

Not good for TV, not good for sponsorship, not good for commercial.

It is so clear to me why it isn't on TV as clear as a sunshine.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What's funny about this whole thread, is that no one paid attention to who the sponsors were! Cornhole was used as the attention getter for the sponsors, because the sponsors know that in order to have a great time during the summer, you need an outdoor activity, SO, to really enjoy your outdoor activities you'll need a new baroque! And of course you'll need some new outdoor furniture, as well as some umbrellas for shade from the sun, AND some mesquite repellent, sun block....ALL FOOD FOR THOUGHT while seeing how fun playing cornhole is, so plan your summers right, go out and buy this exciting outdoor game, and have some fun with your friends and family during the summer months....but make sure you're fully prepared so you and your friends can have a blast, OH, and don't forget the Nerfguns for the little ones, they want to have fun to, while you're at it, pick up a small swimming pool too, you know, for the babies to have some fun too!!

But of course, that's not something pool players would notice....all they see is its on TV....and why aren't WE on TV too!!!! It's a jealousy thing, you want the money and exposure, but are not willing to organize and put the BEST forward, if the best DON'T include YOU!

And by the way, that was just a figure of speech, God forbid I point anyone on AZB for that last statement!!!!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's funny about this whole thread, is that no one paid attention to who the sponsors were! Cornhole was used as the attention getter for the sponsors, because the sponsors know that in order to have a great time during the summer, you need an outdoor activity, SO, to really enjoy your outdoor activities you'll need a new baroque! And of course you'll need some new outdoor furniture, as well as some umbrellas for shade from the sun, AND some mesquite repellent, sun block....ALL FOOD FOR THOUGHT while seeing how fun playing cornhole is, so plan your summers right, go out and buy this exciting outdoor game, and have some fun with your friends and family during the summer months....but make sure you're fully prepared so you and your friends can have a blast, OH, and don't forget the Nerfguns for the little ones, they want to have fun to, while you're at it, pick up a small swimming pool too, you know, for the babies to have some fun too!!

But of course, that's not something pool players would notice....all they see is its on TV....and why aren't WE on TV too!!!! It's a jealousy thing, you want the money and exposure, but are not willing to organize and put the BEST forward, if the best DON'T include YOU!

And by the way, that was just a figure of speech, God forbid I point anyone on AZB for that last statement!!!!
You missed a big one!

Cuedup

I just can't agree with that. Call me old school, but I believe sports require strenuous physical activity. Sex is much more of a sport than poker.
Golf isnt strenuous.
Playing Spades or Dirty Hearts for pushups can be brutal.

The lines can be blurry.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Since I'm not from America, I'd never really heard of "cornhole" until a couple of years ago. Until then I though it was only slang for something else..
I watched the World championship final of this, and I've got to say, this is the least interesting sport I've ever watched, by far. As far as I can tell, it has very little strategy and depth to it. Some guys throwing bags into a hole. It makes shuffleboard look like rocket science by comparison.

It's pretty telling that this is on TV and pool is not...

Cuedup

There is a Beer, Bourbon and BBQ fest coming to town that is promoting a cornhole tournament to be held during the fest.

Its a lot easier to set up a traveling cornhole match than it is to move pool tables.