What the F is going on here?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are speaking purely from the perspective of someone who enjoys the game. For casual viewers, corn hole is absolutely without a doubt far more interesting to watch than pool. Outside of those blatantly obvious high level shots (extreme spins, multiple rail kicks/banks, jumps, trick shots, etc) watching pool on TV for most part is about as interesting as watching paint dry. Before I got into pool, I would rather watch shuffleboard than pool. Even now, I easily pick basketball or football or even baseball over pool on TV.
I agree completely. Even now, being super into pool, I'd rather watch almost anything else.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wait til the Pool, Poker and Pain reality show gets on the air. Then you will see something. Meantime send Blair some money because he is sooooooooo "Close"!!

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
The jealousy is amazing. Do something positive for “your” pastime maybe it’ll grow in a positive manner. Why is cod hole growing on espn and pool isn’t? Reread above

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The jealousy is amazing. Do something positive for “your” pastime maybe it’ll grow in a positive manner. Why is cod hole growing on espn and pool isn’t? Reread above
Tell a golf fan that golf is boring and they’ll start listing all the reasons it isn’t and pull up YouTube videos of big shots and crowds going nuts.

Tell a pool fan that pool is boring and they’ll agree with you and tell you how they fall asleep watching.

God, we’re a strange bunch.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tell a golf fan that golf is boring and they’ll start listing all the reasons it isn’t and pull up YouTube videos of big shots and crowds going nuts.

Tell a pool fan that pool is boring and they’ll agree with you and tell you how they fall asleep watching.

True! At least 5 times a week I put on Accu-Stats videos to fall asleep to. The soothing sounds of Mark Wilson and Danny D. put me out pretty fast.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few games of pool is not physically demanding but ever been to a 3 day tournament and play on the third day, it's grueling and the folks that do it week in and week out are, IMHO, an athlete. I've in fairly decent shape and it wears me out playing all day.
Peyote will see you through.
Trust me.
Screenshot_20210716-103747__01.jpg

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I admit to being completely ignorant about soccer but face the truth. If an alien came down from space and watched a basketball game and a soccer game I'm relatively certain he would prefer the non-stop action of basketball to want appears to be senselessly running around on a huge field with never scoring in soccer. I do like Hockey which is basically Soccer on steroids as it's fast action.
You've got this wrong... The aliens would be fixated on the 'soccer water bottle' and it's miracle healing powers.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

One pocket is so slow….lol 😂. Still my favorite no doubt

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was born and raised on the USA, I too thought "cornhole" was only slang for something else until a couple of years ago. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
So did I……

now it’s a “thing” like the kardashian. It’s really nothing that’s something about nothing. Won’t last.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least one can imagine it takes a little hand eye coordination to compete in cornhole, what about cards?? ESPN has poker on all the time, I fail to see how poker is any sort of sport.
In a abstract way it can be converted into a sport with lots of fancy descriptive words…..🙄🙄

chenjy9

So did I……

now it’s a “thing” like the kardashian. It’s really nothing that’s something about nothing. Won’t last.

I actually think it will last for the following reasons:
  • Easy and cheap to get into and setup so it will be widely accessible and available
  • Beginners can easily keep up with people who play a lot compared to pool
  • It's a lot easier to get a group of guys and girls to play cornhole together than pool

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  • Easy and cheap to get into and setup so it will be widely accessible and available
  • It's a lot easier to get a group of guys and girls to play cornhole together than pool
Yes you are correct. It will be a fad for organized events etc. I’ve actually been researching it a bit. But I do think it will ever be “big time” whatever that means.

but yes you are correct. Easy, simple, low barrier to entry, works in the summer at cool outs, I live in a fancy area and hear my neighbors play it all the time-they can afford anything they want. Point it all your reasons are spot on.

I kinda posted before think through. It’s 1am been up ~20 hours and sweated lots of pool, brain isn’t 100% I’m rambling. 😵‍💫

kindest regards,
Fatboy

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I don't think cornhole will ever be anything more than a participation activity, like Yahtzee. As you stated its a fairly simple game that doesn't require much effort or practice to be successful which will probably be the limiting factor. I also don't see people spending 3 hours or more at the "cornhole boards" like some people often spend at the pool table, it doesn't seem to have the same stamina. Caution, those are strictly my opinions and not those of AZB or its dedicated members and I'm probably full of crap and already wrong. :)

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I think comparing pool to cornhole is no more valuable than the stretch some have tried to make comparing it to golf. Different history, different current penetration across the country..just too different.

Maybe bowling is the better comparison and one that faces similar issues.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

chenjy9

I don't think cornhole will ever be anything more than a participation activity, like Yahtzee. As you stated its a fairly simple game that doesn't require much effort or practice to be successful which will probably be the limiting factor. I also don't see people spending 3 hours or more at the "cornhole boards" like some people often spend at the pool table, it doesn't seem to have the same stamina. Caution, those are strictly my opinions and not those of AZB or its dedicated members and I'm probably full of crap and already wrong. :)
Ultimately, it depends on revenue and this is why I think cornhole has a chance of lasting. Expenses are cheap and potential profits are huge. The pool hall I visit every now and then now has a cornhole setup for example. While the skill gap is exponentially smaller than say gold or pool, it still exists. Some people are just much better at tossing a bean bag through a hole than others. Plus, it is much easier to find attractive people playing cornhole compared to pool. Who knows though!

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anybody watches cornhole it sure as hell isn't as easy as some of the above posters claim it is. Sliding the bag up the ramp into the hole sure as hell doesn't look easy to me. I CAN'T DO IT.

chenjy9

If anybody watches cornhole it sure as hell isn't as easy as some of the above posters claim it is. Sliding the bag up the ramp into the hole sure as hell doesn't look easy to me. I CAN'T DO IT.

I am not sure about the rules they are playing by, but you do NOT have to slide it up the ram into the the hole. Doing so just makes it much easier to consistently get the bean bag in versus trying to throw it into the hole directly. If you just started, focus on just getting it into the hole first and once you figure out how hard you have to throw to do that, you can work your way back from there.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just turn on ESPN. The premier sport channel, and I am looking at a freaking Cornhole Championship. How the F can this be on and we cannot get a pool match on TV, This cornhole is about as exciting to watch as watching a turtle crossing a road. Surely a pool match of any kind has to be more interesting to watch than this cornhole sh*t.

What do we have to do to change this? I know this topic has been discussed at length. But this episode today just freaked me out.
I think some people just like to say "I am really good at cornhole."