What was he shooting with at the US Open?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Last night on the US Open stream was a guy named Ron Zampko who looked a little bit like a cross between John Belushi and Roy Orbison.

In his match with Amar Kang he played with a cue that looked like the one you may have seen in a picture with WC Fields. I also believe there is a similar cue in a picture with Curly Howard.

This thing has a bend in the handle like an Irish Shillelagh. Why? :confused:

This guy shot pretty well with this most unusual cue but, in the end, he was no match for Amar Kang.

I wondered how in the world can he fit that thing in his case and sure, enough, when the match was over, I watched as the butt end of this cue was left hanging, willy-nilly, out of his case's lower pouch.

One other thing that I couldn't get a good look at was the bumper, but what I could make out was like a polished silver or chromed metal, maybe a skull?

Does anyone know this fellow and/or this cue?

Pretty outrageous.

Best,
Brian kc
 
Last edited:
I had all the same thoughts and observations you did! When I play, I often will rotate the cue in my hand a little just to have it feel right (not sure why I do this, but it helps me get comfortable with the shot). He's locked into it with that cue.
 
What is wrong with you people? ;)

Pick one:
When are you gonna learn how to use the search? Or;
Why you pointing out the man's bent stick?!


c/ o JAM:
A straight-shooting Ron Zampko, ..., BTW, with a crooked stick! He is also a regular player at the U.S. Open and is from Virginia Beach, Virginia! ... the butt is 1pc of VA Blueberry and it sounds like it hits HARD. It is also 60", Zampko is 6'2"+

attachment.php

Anybody need anything else?
 
Last edited:
What is wrong with you people? ;)

Pick one:
When are you gonna learn how to use the search? Or;
Why you pointing out the man's bent stick?!


c/ o JAM:
A straight-shooting Ron Zampko, ..., BTW, with a crooked stick! He is also a regular player at the U.S. Open and is from Virginia Beach, Virginia! ... the butt is 1pc of VA Blueberry and it sounds like it hits HARD. It is also 60", Zampko is 6'2"+

attachment.php

Anybody need anything else?
Now that's a true custom cue. Corrrecting for head/eyes position.

Where's Geno when we need him?
 
It would seem to be uni-directional i.e. the cue must be oriented the same for each shot. Or does he orient it one way for a draw shot and the opposite way for follow? I'm assuming he holds it behind the bend and not in the crook.
 
Ron Zamko

Does anyone have a photo of Ron. Their was a player in my Dads room in Poughkeepsie Ny with the same name. He would be in his late fifties or even sixty now. As described he was 6 foot three, and jet black hair in the 70s. He played good back then. Well if it is the same Ron Z, glad to see your still at it, and playing well. Greg!
 
Back
Top