What would you PAY extra for at your local pool hall?

Huh? What did you say?

berlowmj said:
Patrons selecting Gangster rap in the hills of Kentucky makes me empathize with the guy in the Country Western song, who shot the juke box.

LOL -- Guess I'm at the age where they say, "if the volume is too loud you're too damn old!" I like the idea of paying for 5 min of silence or low voume songs on the jukebox. I realize no music is not realistic since it's a steady/needed source of revenue.

The alternative is renting out personal size hand-held loudspeakers to talk over the gangsta rap.:rolleyes:
 
Not quite sure how to do this and I am not trying to do anything other than be helpful to the hall owners.

I play for one maybe two hours a day on my GCIII that is tournament level equipment. I have well over $20,000 in construction and equipment just for my pool room / bar. In halls I would be a B - B+ player. So that is the perspective from which I am speaking.

In general, I do not go to halls because most halls do not have equipment comparable to mine. However, I like friendly, sporting competition and that is difficult to come by when you play at home and only infrequently go to a hall. I would like to go to a hall once or twice a week to compete with others but often don’t for many of the reason noted in previous posts, equipment, kids, bangers, music, etc. When I do go it is for tournaments and I do not take my spouse to most of these places as the crowd is too rough.

People with their own equipment are relatively well off compared to most hall players. They have upwards of $5 – 10,000 in equipment, rooms, etc. so they are worth attracting into your establishments and will spend money for “extras.” What kinds of extras? Like many of the people here I would show up and pay a premium for quiet rooms, good competition, and reasonably serious players.

A cover charge once a week with some sort of reasonably professional and polite round robin playing (short tournaments) on one night and “longer” tournaments on other nights would dig me out of the house, especially if I could bring my spouse or professional friends and colleagues. Perhaps a league that was oriented towards serious players who had exclusive use of the room for the evening would work. Unlike golf, friends and family are in the immediate area when the pool is played so it is or could be more social than a golf club.

Depending on what was available I could see spending $100.00 in an evening on dinner, pool, a drink or two. Action on the side is another matter. A place where my spouse could also attend and sit at a table with other spectators who simply enjoyed a quiet but exciting evening would lead me to spend even more.

To do all of this I think it would require identifying a group of serious players and this would be accomplished with some sort of monthly “open house” arrangement that enticed the serious home player into the club. I personally know at least three or four people with characteristics similar to those described within a 15 mile radius of my house located in our backwoods area (we are 50 miles out of Pittsburg). There are more serious players, I just don’t know them. In essence, something like a country club atmosphere for serious players could get a substantial amount of money out of my pocket.

In my family and my extended family, playing pool is a major pass time with average incomes well above the median income in the country. You simply need a way to entice these people into your establishments. BTW, Jillian’s and similar popular “nightclub” places are not of much interest as pool playing is not the major attraction. In essence, there is a “country club” set of players who could be enticed out of their homes under the right circumstances.

And we play for money too but usually with others that are not only serious about pool but polite and courteous.
 
Last edited:
i havnt read anything but the OP

but i would pay extra hourly money for a SUCKER at my table all night long!
 
Just keep the tables in good shape, clean balls, nice racks.. I'll be happy. And make 1 or two of the tables super tight. :)
 
If you think in terms of local golf clubs, some are "open" during the week and "closed for members and leagues on specific days. Not a bad model and of course it does not have to look like a university dinner club. It only needs to be clean, with good equipment. "Members" usually understand that to remain profitable it is necessary to have an open club at times and that green fees are necessary for maintenance. A dress code usually improves on the tone set in the club. I am thinking here in terms of no t-shirts, jeans, shorts, sandals or work boots.
 
Last edited:
chefjeff said:
There's already a way to pay to make the jukebox you're friend: Put in lots of dollars when you arrive and simply pick the songs YOU want.

Ta Dah!

Jeff Livingston

LMAO....Thanks for blurting out the obvious. Although MOST people don't understand the psychology behind jukeboxes. It kind of goes over a lot of people's heads. :D

Glad I had a chuckle before I head out to work.
 
poker players

Put the poker players in another room (sound proof)
If you are going to have sweet tea you should have unsweet
as well ......lol .The tea thing is a personal quirk but
the damn poker players are noisy as hell :mad:
 
A lot of the things mentioned here--respectfull staff, good equipment, good chalk...--are all things that I expect out of any pool hall that wants my business. Maybe I would pay extra for them, compared to a rat hole that was nearby.

As far as a cover charge, I think you have to be careful with them for two reasons. One, you need to offer something very noticeably extra when you charge me to enter. I understand keeping out people with no money. But give me something back in exchange. A $5 cover with a free drink, free food, or put towards table time is no problem. $5 to see the place will make me angry. If I pay and find the place is empty, I will not be returning.

Second, and somewhat related, make the cover charge real. I've gone to places that charge $1-3 to enter. It makes me mad. It's too low. It feels like I'm just being exploited out of $3. Sometimes I just wonder if the bouncer isn't lining his own pockets with it. When this happens, I make it a point not to spend any extra money on that night. Make it $5 and I don't really care. It makes it feel like something special is happening. I know I have friends that feel the same way, but maybe not everyone does.
 
cueandcushion said:
LMAO....Thanks for blurting out the obvious. Although MOST people don't understand the psychology behind jukeboxes. It kind of goes over a lot of people's heads. :D

Glad I had a chuckle before I head out to work.

This "obvious" solution came to me years ago when I was constantly complaining to Don McCoy's daughter (she managed the hall) about AC/DC's Hell's Bell's being on the jukebox and being played all the time, it seemed. I told her there wasn't a more anti-pool-playing song than that one and begged her to remove it from the jukebox. She finally told me that I wasn't the only player in the place and some liked it so I could leave if I didn't like it.

So, right then and there it struck me that I could control the situation without begging. All I had to do was put up some money.

Jeff Livingston

PS I came to the same conclusion about my easily available power for controlling my exposure to second-hand smoke...I built a poolroom at home.
 
ChefJeff makes my point. Many people who go to a hall regularly do not have a table at home. People with the time, money and available space build their own room at home. We need a reason to want to come to the hall. If such a reason could be found as in the thread about pool clubs, pool halls would be more popular and people with higher incomes would be at the halls. A cover charge is the beginning.
 
cueandcushion said:
LMAO....Thanks for blurting out the obvious. Although MOST people don't understand the psychology behind jukeboxes. It kind of goes over a lot of people's heads. :D

Glad I had a chuckle before I head out to work.


I think a lot of us are not complaining about the music choice nearly as much as the volume. I can plug quarters in the box all night long and it is not going to get any quieter. I can't stand to be in a pool hall or even a bar where the music is so loud that you can not carry on a conversation.

Maybe I am too old, but instead of "if it is too loud you are too old" it should be "if you want it so loud you can't have a conversation then you must have boring friends"
 
I like the idea of deducting the cover charge against table time. On the other hand, as a player, there is nothing I appreciate more than nice, quality playing equipment. New chalk, good felt, clean tables, etc. There is nothing I despise more than a dirty pool room, and a dirty pool table. Just a thought to keep the game enjoyable for your guests.
 
Since this thread ended over a year ago I thought some new members would like to read it. I found it enjoyable to read when I found it again. Any new input from former lurkers would be greatly appreciated. :ok:
 
Very good thread

Myself I like the idea of a cover charge.I would be supporting the pool hall and maybe would not feel like I have to buy food or drink that I don"t want.

The main reason however is it would keep away some of the pool players who do nothing whatever to support the pool room many of whom just come in looking to rob some1.Some of these players will come in for tournaments and not spend a dime on anything else.

As far as weekends go,Friday and Saturday nights,I pretty much stay home and let the party/banger type people take over the place.
 
the scorpion said:
Storm Hot Rod 300 thats the way it works here in europe most billiard clubs will have snooker tables first as there means of income and pool tables second and all I am saying is that my club is losing money because they only ever have 2 out of 15 snooker tables active.
The times they are a changin':grin-square: :grin-square:
 
Onemoreyouth said:
i havnt read anything but the OP

but i would pay extra hourly money for a SUCKER at my table all night long!
Maybe you're already there. :shocked2: :shocked2:
LOL just ribbing you.:grin: :grin:
 
I would pay extra for some of these pool hall owners to just keep the place a pool hall, to many trying other stuff, I don't want bands, or open mikes, or crazy drink specials, or poker tourneys. All I want i just decent music, enough room around each pool table, and the tables kept up.
 
id have to go with paying a little extra to clean the sides of the tables daily so pants dont get so dirty and imbedded with chalk.
 
NateSchoepf said:
I would pay extra for some of these pool hall owners to just keep the place a pool hall, to many trying other stuff, I don't want bands, or open mikes, or crazy drink specials, or poker tourneys. All I want i just decent music, enough room around each pool table, and the tables kept up.


Thanks for being in a very small minority..the serious player. The amount of SERIOUS pool players that want a real pool hall is so small these days, it financially would never work. Thats why all the old fashioned places are going under. Rents are devestating rooms with 9 foot tables. Rooms filled with 7 foots make twice as much money on pool. More tables, less serious players so no one practices by themselves they always play in a group. I get a lot of compliments for having mostly 9 foot tables, but if my building were not paid off....it would never be possible...not even close at DOUBLE my current pool rate. Not even close.
 
Back
Top