What would you PAY extra for at your local pool hall?

What would I pay extra for?

Better equipment (level tables, better felt, nice racks, more 9-footers).

Discount on 1st hour of pool time.
Since some do not play pool, but just sit around and drink - maybe a discount off bill with some minimum.
 
PROG8R said:
Hmm... Lets see, I would definitely Pay extra to have my balls washed and polished everytime..

There are a coouple of Titty Bars here in town that can handle this for you.
 
For a cover charge, I would expect clean, well clothed, level tables with good rails. That's it. I wish my pool hall charged a cover charge, even on league nights. $2 per person on league night would recover one or two tables a week.
 
I know this would not be economically feasible but.......

An all private room pool hall either sound insulating dividers or real enclosed rooms ! :eek:
 
to turn the damned music down and smash a few of the choices with a hammer so they could never be heard again ..... its worth a $20 btw. :)
 
I really like the quiet side idea. I don't need any gimmicks or special promotions/events.

I just want to shoot pool without that group of 8 at a table nearby driving me nuts.
 
$5 more an hour on pool rate if they hired a staff that treated the place like a poolroom/ bar instead of a bar/ bar/ bar/ poolroom.....

Southpaw
 
Koopa said:
I really like the quiet side idea. I don't need any gimmicks or special promotions/events.

I just want to shoot pool without that group of 8 at a table nearby driving me nuts.

Chris's in Chicago's main room has nine 9-footers, 4 Verhovens, and a snooker table, no music. Both back rooms have music. Very easy to find a quiet place to play, usually.

One of the back rooms is a tournament room, the other is where the bangers usually go.

Something for almost everybody.
 
Chris's on Milwaukee Ave

Flex said:
Chris's in Chicago's main room has nine 9-footers, 4 Verhovens, and a snooker table, no music. Both back rooms have music. Very easy to find a quiet place to play, usually.

One of the back rooms is a tournament room, the other is where the bangers usually go.

Something for almost everybody.

Only been there twice but what a FANTASTIC place!! Cannot wait to move there and get in some 3 rail!!
Dan
 
Getting some good smoke-eaters would be nice, and I think 5 minutes of quiet on the jukebox would be GREAT. I'd go broke shutting that thing up. :D

Around here (Houston), I've noticed a trend of cranking the hell outta the jukebox after 6:00 or 7:00. During the day it's tolerable, but good Lord, you can't even have a conversation without shouting at night. Bogies keeps it quiet most of the time, Cue and Cushion doesn't have any speakers on the "players side", and Legends has a separate room with 3 9's and no speakers. Other than those 3, everywhere else I've been is a big loud turd at night.

I think limiting the bangers to 4 per table would help a lot, also. I've seen up to 10 people standing around one table just staring at it, nobody playing. Serious players in a ring game or something would be the exception, I guess, but they would probably be a little more polite about interfering with other games, too.


I guess my point is if a place offered things like those I mentioned, I'd GLADLY pay a little cover charge, 3-5 bucks or so.
 
1. Reasonable music volume. Low enough to have an easy conversation with a person that is sitting in the chairs at the table while you are shooting (oh, enough seating around the tables).

2. Free coffee and soda to those that will be playing for more than 2 hours (I would even walk to the soda fountain to refill the cups myself).

3. This is just a bonus... a serious players room that is seperate from the normal pool hall. I would even pay an additional $5 cover to get into the upper class are with the serious players. An extra $5 is nothing compared to a decent money game on great equipment.
 
The air filter fans, that trap dust.

A few hours in a pool hall and it feels like Ive been in a library for a week.
 
Volume down-Amen

3andstop said:
to turn the damned music down and smash a few of the choices with a hammer so they could never be heard again ..... its worth a $20 btw. :)

Patrons selecting Gangster rap in the hills of Kentucky makes me empathize with the guy in the Country Western song, who shot the juke box.
 
poolplayer2093 said:
space, i'd pay extra for enough space to not have to always wait or ask some else to move so i could shoot

Considering how much rents are these days...extra space would cost you a LOT more than $3. Prolly more than $3.00/hour additional.

Here in St. Louis the large number of pool rooms failing is because of high rent. The more tables you have in the smallest space....
well...that is where you make money on pool. More tables= more people= more alcohol and snacks/ food. The BCA recommends about 48" between tables. We have 5-6.5 feet between our tables and get complaints that it is STILL too crowded at times. The closeness also creates interaction between people....that is encouraged...it makes guys and gals talk to each other. Most people do not go to pool rooms to play pool. They go to meet people and have fun. Only serious players want to play pool.
 
Last edited:
PaulL said:
Getting some good smoke-eaters would be nice, and I think 5 minutes of quiet on the jukebox would be GREAT. I'd go broke shutting that thing up. :D

Around here (Houston), I've noticed a trend of cranking the hell outta the jukebox after 6:00 or 7:00. During the day it's tolerable, but good Lord, you can't even have a conversation without shouting at night. (snip)


There's already a way to pay to make the jukebox you're friend: Put in lots of dollars when you arrive and simply pick the songs YOU want.

Ta Dah!

Jeff Livingston
 
cueandcushion said:
Dont worry....All pool rooms will be smoke free very soon.

I don't know about that .............but I will hope with the rest of the people who want a healthier environment to play pool in.

You hear a lot of complaining from pool room owners about how the elimination of smoking has hurt their revenue stream but I wonder if the pool room gets cleaned up (smoke wise) if the women would start coming back. There seems to be a scarcity of them. The smelly smoke filled bars and pool rooms are repugnant even to pool degenerates like myself. Older people (WHO OFTEN HAVE LOTS OF DISPOSABLE INCOME) often times have respiratory problems as they age and women (WHO LIKE SPENDING MONEY) who don't like to smell like a cigarette ashtray after a night out might be persuaded to re-join our sport if the smoking is eliminated from the pool rooms. Wouldn't it be a trip if smoking was one of the main hold backs for pool not succeeding financially?

The pool rooms that do not allow smoking should start selling the nicotine patches, nicotine gums etc. Shoot you could sell one patch at a time just to take care of their nicotine addiction for the night. Those patches take the edge off of the nicotine addiction and maybe they could throw up a sign inside their place of business for the new laser treatments to assist with eliminating a person's addiction to nicotine. There is probably a business or two in town that would pay decent money to advertise their treatment program and that could be another revenue stream that could help replace any loss of revenue that might occur temporarily.

There are other things that could be done to help our brothers and sisters who still have the addiction. Those that don't want to quit can simply smoke outside or maybe just have a SEPARATED smoking room where the smokers can stink up and pollute each others lungs and clothes.

JoeyA (never thought he would become an anti-smoking advocate)
 
chefjeff said:
There's already a way to pay to make the jukebox you're friend: Put in lots of dollars when you arrive and simply pick the songs YOU want.

Ta Dah!

Jeff Livingston

I like the sound of silence. And I don't mean Simon and Garfunkel... :D

Maybe a track with 5 minutes of people playing pool. That would be ok, too. :p
 
Back
Top