What Youngsters Want Old Masters Cues?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
A lack of feedback is feedback.

Skins here just wants to hold court for a minute, don't burst his bubble with the yoots yet.

VAeA885.jpg

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'm not in the demographic (way past that now), as great as it would be to have one of those cues, I wouldn't dare take it out to play anywhere. Perhaps if I had a home table, that would be different.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
See me at Derby and you can hit some with either.

I collect a lot of "stuff", and my daughters don't want my cues, but want the coins, cars and guns. :rolleyes:

I think that is the way that these old cues get back in circulation, some old fart like me dies, and they practically give the cues away.

My wife worked in banking for years, and several times a year someone would bring in a ton of old coins to convert to cash. My wife bought these old coins for face value, most of which were absolutely MINT STATE condition. The kids that had them knew they were worth something and my wife suggested that they take them a dealer, but they wanted the money NOW. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of "barn finds" and deals along the way.

Ken

Right right I figure most of the good old Brunswick’s and such from the 40s through 60s and under are owned by people who don’t have much time left, sort of like the “great crew change” offshore in the oilfield

So I honestly believe that there will be possibly a flood of them in the not too distant future. At least I hope because if not then they were lost to time.

Look how hard it is to even find good info on the cues from Europe mid 1850s and such....Hell Harvey Martin made cues for what 5-6 decades? Even many so called cue collector freaks have no idea who that is and generally say “like the guitar company?”

But every Ed in the south gaggles about moocheeee moocheeeee smfh

I always really enjoyed the game but the history is what really star struck me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be afraid to play with it honestly, it would be more like a piece of fine art to me, hang on the wall and enjoy. I'm close to 40 as well, so a little past your demographic.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
….people always focusing on the wrong things. Youngsters do not COLLECT things.. This generation has the attention span of goldfish. Hot today, cold tomorrow, so the idea of a collection is foreign to them.

Like the idea of putting in table time and practice.

Why do you think these "new" technology things sell so well... they see it as I will be better quicker and no need to practice as much. I was in a room watching someone one a table with a revo.. he spent about 45 minutes on his phone and practiced 15. Great for room owners, they won't need to change the cloth as often. :)

JV

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 8 year old son Jin would absolutely love and respect having a historical cue one day.

It's on my bucket list of items for hin to have, just not financially smart at the moment.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can one find information about which cues are desirable and why? Any good books on the subject of cue making?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Where can one find information about which cues are desirable and why? Any good books on the subject of cue making?

Hanging around forums like these and playing a lot at popular halls will also give you some guidance. If you use exceptional quality and low prodution numbers as an initial guide that will help.

That said, knowing or being able to tell what is exceptional quality takes not only examining many cues, which many have done, but actually being able to tell the differences which unfortunately isnt as high a number.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
My 8 year old son Jin would absolutely love and respect having a historical cue one day.

It's on my bucket list of items for hin to have, just not financially smart at the moment.

Thats great. Start em' early.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
A lack of feedback is feedback.

Just because posts stop on a thread doesnt mean every member has seen the thread or had the opportunity to give their oppinion.

Just wanted to give those who havent seen or werent ready to comment another opportunity.

Hope thats ok with you??

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
….people always focusing on the wrong things. Youngsters do not COLLECT things.. This generation has the attention span of goldfish. Hot today, cold tomorrow, so the idea of a collection is foreign to them.

Like the idea of putting in table time and practice.

Why do you think these "new" technology things sell so well... they see it as I will be better quicker and no need to practice as much. I was in a room watching someone one a table with a revo.. he spent about 45 minutes on his phone and practiced 15. Great for room owners, they won't need to change the cloth as often. :)

JV

Not everbody from our generestion collected things either. I believe there are a lot of those between 18 and 35 that ARE into collecting things of some sorts. Some even cues. My qusetion was to invite those like minded to come forward.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Id rather have something that I can play with.

That’s how I feel....I buy cues that hit balls.
...and that’s what most young players would want.
Many great cues are no longer available...young players don’t even get to see them.

I’ve had maybe 15 or 20 collectible cues....still got a few...I PLAYED with them.
...I can remember some afficianados giving me hell for regularly playing with a Szamboti
....I would tell them that’s why Gus made it.

I recall a tournament in the early 90s some young guys asking me about my cue...
...I let them hit all they wanted with it....they were amazed at what it could do....
....but that was the ONLY top cue they had ever seen and hit a ball with....
...so how are you going to maintain the market for great cues....
...up and coming players want players...
...the collectors are turning them into artifacts...no action in a museum....:rolleyes:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
That’s how I feel....I buy cues that hit balls.
...and that’s what most young players would want.
Many great cues are no longer available...young players don’t even get to see them.

I’ve had maybe 15 or 20 collectible cues....still got a few...I PLAYED with them.
...I can remember some afficianados giving me hell for regularly playing with a Szamboti
....I would tell them that’s why Gus made it.

I recall a tournament in the early 90s some young guys asking me about my cue...
...I let them hit all they wanted with it....they were amazed at what it could do....
....but that was the ONLY top cue they had ever seen and hit a ball with....
...so how are you going to maintain the market for great cues....
...up and coming players want players...
...the collectors are turning them into artifacts...no action in a museum....:rolleyes:

But your not between 18 and 35 years old so we'll leave it at that..:wink:

To your point about cues not being available, well they WILL be available eventually. Most owners arent going to take them to their grave so if Joe (Classiccues) is right, those who inherit masters cues and dont want them, they're going to have to go somewhere. There may be many who say "nay" today and "yay" tomorrow. From my own personal niece and nephew experience I would bet on it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
But your not between 18 and 35 years old so we'll leave it at that..:wink:

To your point about cues not being available, well they WILL be available eventually. Most owners arent going to take them to their grave so if Joe (Classiccues) is right, those who inherit masters cues and dont want them, they're going to have to go somewhere. There may be many who say "nay" today and "yay" tomorrow. From my own personal niece and nephew experience I would bet on it.

Ah, but that’s how I felt when I was in that age group.
...my point was that I’ve seen young players today who feel the same way.
....you can’t run out with a wall-hanger.

calibration

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahhh my favorite topic

This is such a subjective topic, lets start that I am 55 so that puts me in the era of love of our predecessor's..... and the love of the old school players that grinded on the heavy cloth and poor performing cushions and crappy balls...
But, these guys could still perform, perform greater than the best of today, and playing in a suit.......
So, what happened .... i look into myself and look for the club that gets me the extra 10 yards, marketing and technology are of course significant producers to support this, but then I look at a player like Efren, who never supported this marketing type crap and could have made quite a bit of coin.
What I am trying to say is.?.?.. of course technology has drastically improved on our only playing tool of the game but, we are losing the value of a custom cuemakers touch. There value of personalization.....
I am now playing with a Revo on a wrapless Predator that hands down out performs my Gus and George but,,,,,,,
Every once in a while i pull them out to play with and think back to yesterday, yesterday when players of an era played with these cues on crappy cloth and crappy rails and crappy balls and,,,, and created a beautiful game

Collecting is for historians and people that respect history

Last edited:

calibration

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahhh my favorite topic

Collecting and playing are 2 completely different things.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Biggest problem is cost, not a big market for $6k plus cues. All the big name cues are locked down and not going anywhere for less than that(G and B Szam). Bushka more like 10k and up.
Jason

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No surprise that 30 year old pool players are not wanting to spend 10k on a cue.

More problematic is the fact that we never see these special cues in the wild, which means the next generation of potential collectors is not being educated or turned onto their value.

30 year olds who can’t afford to spend now will be able to spend later, so owners of these cues - if you want the resale values to hold up, it’s time to start showing them off to the next set of potential owners. Convince us they are special and explain their unique characteristics. If they truly have intrinsic beauty and playability it won’t be a difficult case to make.

Last edited: