What Youngsters Want Old Masters Cues?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
For you I guess but some have said yes... Thanks for your input

I really do think if they knew.....they would.

Reminds me of this girl I knew with 4 kids.....they were all lazy and didn’t like outside it seemed.....bad little chitz.

So I went to tractor supply spent a couple hundred on yard tools

Figured I’d torture them with work.....and I’ll be damed if they didn’t love it.

Which bring me to my point....don’t let the world teach your or the kids.....teach them appreciation for where we came from the past is still very alive.... it hasn’t even past yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Im 43 and the only way I would want one is if I got it for free and could sell it to some fool for an exhorbitant amount of money. Then id buy a decent playing cue and a motorcycle. To each their own but theres no way I would pay the price those cues demand.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Here's a golf analogy: Here in town there is a First Tee location. People donate clubs for kids to use and a while back i noticed some grips stickin-up from the dumpster. To my amazement/horror were two sets of mint blade-style irons. One set of HaigUltras and a set of Hogans. I went and asked about them and the teacher said none of the kids would ever use them and to take them if i wanted. They all want high-tech cavity back irons and could not care less about classic clubs. Few pool players under 40 give a rats ass about classic cues. BTW, i kept one set of those irons, sold the other and used that $$ to buy a cue. Hell yeah.

This is a very different set of variables. The improvement on a golf club is indisputable. To prove this point, a vintage driver in the hands of a golfer, maybe he hits a drive 200-225, whatever.. but without ANY further practice, that same person can take a new driver and better that number by 20-25%+. Hypothetical golf numbers....
There is NO cue, that can do that out of the box, bring your game up 25%. If someone wanted to bring wood, custom cues back into the forefront. A well to do collector could pay the nut of a pro, give him a cue out of his collection, and say.. I pay you, you play with this. If that person gets used to the cue and starts winning... it will be heave-ho the re-vo....

The number... 526... ran with a Rambow. Which all you youngsters should shoot with one, and then you will recognize what talent really is.

JV

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I really do think if they knew.....they would.

Reminds me of this girl I knew with 4 kids.....they were all lazy and didn’t like outside it seemed.....bad little chitz.

So I went to tractor supply spent a couple hundred on yard tools

Figured I’d torture them with work.....and I’ll be damed if they didn’t love it.

Which bring me to my point....don’t let the world teach your or the kids.....teach them appreciation for where we came from the past is still very alive.... it hasn’t even past yet

Part of the issue is what you touched on. The younger crowd, heck even many older, don't realize the quality that Gus and George put out. Even to this day compared to cues made today their's are still considered top tier by those who know cues.

That said everyone has their own wants and needs and some just aren't into it regardless of their exposure...

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
This is a very different set of variables. The improvement on a golf club is indisputable. To prove this point, a vintage driver in the hands of a golfer, maybe he hits a drive 200-225, whatever.. but without ANY further practice, that same person can take a new driver and better that number by 20-25%+. Hypothetical golf numbers....
There is NO cue, that can do that out of the box, bring your game up 25%. If someone wanted to bring wood, custom cues back into the forefront. A well to do collector could pay the nut of a pro, give him a cue out of his collection, and say.. I pay you, you play with this. If that person gets used to the cue and starts winning... it will be heave-ho the re-vo....

The number... 526... ran with a Rambow. Which all you youngsters should shoot with one, and then you will recognize what talent really is.

JV

More proof that it's the indian not the arrow...but it don't hurt to have a nice looking cue :thumbup:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

JV

Agree. And, I also think the number is really 768. And, also done, with a Rambow.

All the best,
WW

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Right I never even answered I’m 34.....I love my Martin and would love a szam and I’ve longed for years to own the I believe paradise made for Mickey mantle..... but like my first post on this topic spoke of...... I love history and that goes fairly deep in this game. Which is why we get the talk of people these days only know balabushka from tcom

Old soul. :)

I'm 60, but I've always appreciated old things, be it cues, motorcycles, firearms, etc, that still work as intended.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you need to first ask how many old-timers plan on taking to their graves the knowledge and history necessary to identify and appreciate them.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The comparison is in the shafts not the cues.Because noone can be comparing Predator cues to top tier cue builders.To those whom like LD shafts thats great ,some like maple some the new composite.There are hundreds of cue assemblers out there today and like shaft builders they should not be compared to real true craftsmen.Anyone can buy a new spaceage material driver maybe even hit it far they still aint a scratch golfer.And a re** aint making them a poolplayer..

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I think you need to first ask how many old-timers plan on taking to their graves the knowledge and history necessary to identify and appreciate them.

This is a great comment imho. Sadly there are so many that don't care nor want to listen..

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many here are talking about performance.

This whole thing shouldn't be about cf vs maple.....lol.. if it is then you need to reevaluate your end goal if your original goal was to perform at your best no matter what cue you had to use while doing it.

Some people are stuck in neutral and refuse to try and find a higher gear most due to habit.

Reminds me of stories I heard about cues when the "two piece cue" first came out.

There where, just like now...lol...... tons and tons of players that refused to acknowledge that the house cues they were USE TO ..... just didn't perform as well as the new fangled gimmick of a cue that would SURELY not last as it was a FAD and nothing more.

Hey, I'm stubborn too but, at some point we have to change to keep up with the performance ceiling that gets raised ever so often.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m 35 and have been collecting cues for about 10 years (or so).
My father was a player and had a couple cues from someone I consider a master, growing up that cue was always something I held in pretty high regard. When I was old enough (had a good enough job) to afford a custom cue, it was one of my first extravagant purchase and haven’t looked back since.
I love the old school look in cues and it’s always what I gravitate towards. In my way of thinking, just because new technology comes along doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better, just newer. Fads come and go in just about everything, guns, knives, cues, etc. but the best of things usually stand up to the test of time.

To answer the question: I would love to own cues made by the “old masters” and will one day. I will also never own a cue that I don’t use, I’m my mind they are functional art and designed/intended to be used, no “closet queens” for me!

JCM

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the question is"Will the new generation and the following ones
appreciate the old master cue makers and their cues?"

I think the best guide is to look at other areas of art and collectible items

Did generation after generation still but Rembrandt,Monet,Picasso, or manuscripts of Shakespeare,Poe,Wordsworth and those cats
Do people still
buy Babe Ruth signed balls and pictures ?

Why should we not expect them to continue to love the things we love?

I live in a fairly upscale area in noth Dallas,for the most part they drive Mercede,Lexus
and the such. The other day a fella drove down the street in a beautiful fully restored 50 model chey pick up truck.
I told my wife,now I would rather have that than any car out there

On the other hand I sold my 67 model Mustang Convertibles when the girls got older and started buying new models with disc brakes ,air conditioning cd players,

Friday,I bought my wife a 2019 Mustang Convertible with the money I got from the Shelby

I decided that for everyday dependability and gas mileage it made more sense

My neighbors gave her compliments,but they all dive more expensive cars
we are driving what we always liked

As far as cues,I still love The Balabushkas but i don't play with one,it's not the play,it's not the looks'
it's the price that deters me,I get too protective when I have one,I don't get to enjoy them

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
I agree but each player ought to experiment a little bit with different cues to see what fits them best. There’s no shame in trying out old cues, new technology, or what you see the pros use and liking it. I hear very few players (if any) pretending their stick will make them play better. I hear more players putting those words in someone else’s mouth. The most I do hear is someone thinking one stick can apply more spin than another which (A) may or may not be true and (B) is still separate from actually playing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's exactly what I'm doing right now. I've purchased over 30 different cues out there to try and find what works best for my game. I fortunately believe I just found the holy grail of cues and now I'm going to sell off most of my collection and purchase a few of the one name I love and play the best with. Someone mentioned in a post earlier that no cue out there will bring your game up 25%. I disagree with that. The cue I just played with for the 1st time has increased my game at least 20% in consistency and performance over vintage cues.

I think any serious player should do the same thing. There are a ton of great cuemakers out there. Up until about a year or so ago, I couldn't hit a ball with any other cue than a vintage Meucci.

Than this summer Earl Strickland came to my local hall to do lessons for a guy from Canada. We spent a few days together talking about his career and equipment, than and now and Earl said something that made me go out a massive search for my right cue.

Earl said "I've played with a Meuuci for many years and I absolutely loved them. Until I started playing with Cuetec and Gulyassee cues with low deflection and a different design did I realize that I was happy to have played with higher deflection cues like the Meucci's early in my career. I must have learned how to deal with deflection. Now with a straighter, stiffer hitting cue it's much, much easier to just shoot the cue ball exactly where I was aiming."

This opinion from a 4-5 decade world champion made me think twice about my current cue selection and venture elsewhere.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no desire to own a Szamboti or Balabushka…….but I sure would like to hit a few balls with them.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no desire to own a Szamboti or Balabushka…….but I sure would like to hit a few balls with them.

Be careful. That is the slippery slope. In the early 80's, I had the opportunity to play with a couple Szamboti cues. 20+ years later, I was forking out thousands to land my own.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

See me at Derby and you can hit some with either.

I collect a lot of "stuff", and my daughters don't want my cues, but want the coins, cars and guns. :rolleyes:

I think that is the way that these old cues get back in circulation, some old fart like me dies, and they practically give the cues away.

My wife worked in banking for years, and several times a year someone would bring in a ton of old coins to convert to cash. My wife bought these old coins for face value, most of which were absolutely MINT STATE condition. The kids that had them knew they were worth something and my wife suggested that they take them a dealer, but they wanted the money NOW. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of "barn finds" and deals along the way.

Ken