What's the point in so many extra shafts?

JayBaltimore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've just been dying to know what's the point in so many extra shafts. I understand two, as if you have a wood to wood joint, the shaft threads become loose overtime and wont screw on tight. but these guys in the For Sale section selling there cues with like 4-5 extra shafts?! what's the point?! more money to tack on or what?!
 
if you have a wood to wood joint, the shaft threads become loose overtime and wont screw on tight

Never seen this happen on a quality cue...

Here is some reasons for extra shafts:
1. If a tip pops in the middle of a tournament or league play... what are you gonna do? play with a house cue?

2. Different tip hardness or diameter, sometimes the stroke is a bit off or the table conditions are different. Different tips and diameter will sometimes get your game back on track.

3. Different tapper - same reason as before.

4. Shaft warp sometimes so it's always nice to have a new straight one for backup....

5. Experimenting.... different tapers, low deflection shafts from different vendors etc. etc.

just this list will require like 6 shafts per butt....
 
I try to buy a 3rd shaft then select the best playing shaft of the group. I enjoy the cue and play all I want. When it is time to sell, the cue will be offered with two original like new shafts. If the butt shows no wear for my use, I will recover my initial investment, if not make a profit.

Another reason to have 3 or more shafts is that most custom cues come with 2 shafts. If I want to use an OB or Predator, you need to add that into the mix.

Lastly, snooker shafts tend to be longer and much thinner...useless for other games. Billiard shafts tend to have a thin tip and a conical taper. Not popular for pool. So, some cues are for playing multiple games and thus have different shafts suited to each particular application.
 
I used to wonder about that too but lately I've been experimenting with tip size, going ferrule-less, different tapers, etc so now........ :groucho:
 
skor said:
Never seen this happen on a quality cue...

Here is some reasons for extra shafts:
1. If a tip pops in the middle of a tournament or league play... what are you gonna do? play with a house cue?

2. Different tip hardness or diameter, sometimes the stroke is a bit off or the table conditions are different. Different tips and diameter will sometimes get your game back on track.

3. Different tapper - same reason as before.

4. Shaft warp sometimes so it's always nice to have a new straight one for backup....

5. Experimenting.... different tapers, low deflection shafts from different vendors etc. etc.

just this list will require like 6 shafts per butt....

Good answer!!
 
Don't forget...

It is always nice to be able to advertise at least "one shaft unplayed" when you get ready to sell it. It makes it sound a little more attractive.
Tommy
 
I ended up with a lot of shafts due to experimenting with different tapers and tip sizes. I probably have 8 or so shafts... everything from a shaft made by Ernie Gutierrez for a Szamboti, to a Predator Z2, to a 30 growth-ring-per-inch shaft, to a purple heart shaft... and plenty of stuff in between. I have 31" shafts, super skinny shafts, etc. etc. It took a bit of experimenting, but I've found what I like in a shaft to get the most out of my game. And over the course of 4 years or so, I ended up with all those extra shafts and each with a story to tell.
 
As was mentioned before here are a couple examples:

1&2. 2 original shafts (generally one extra in case something happens during play)
3. Predator shaft
4. OB-1 shaft (wanted to see what it's about)
5. Custom shaft with ivory ferrule (want to try an ivory ferrule but if I don't like it I don't want to have wasted one of my original shafts
6. Thick shaft with different taper for carom games
7. Thin shaft with long taper for snooker.

Just an example. I do not have all these in one cue, rather I bought different cues to try them all out. I could have just purchased new shafts for my favorite cue, but could not resell 5 additional shafts as easily as I can three additional cues.
 
Catahula said:
It is always nice to be able to advertise at least "one shaft unplayed" when you get ready to sell it. It makes it sound a little more attractive.
Tommy


I never noticed your aviator. That is terrible, I'm a dog person. Shame on you...

Just my opinion...

Pete
 
I think another reason you might see a cue with multiple shafts is that the cue was crafted by a maker that is no longer making cues, or may soon be retiring, or one that has an extremely long waiting list. Obtaining additional shafts from these makers may not be an option, or very difficult, to say the least, so more than the normal 2 shafts generally ordered may be desired, as a result.

Lisa
 
I dunno if I agree with the rationalizations for extra shafts. If you don't know what taper/size/etc you like in a shaft, wouldn't you wanna experiment with a cheap cue, rather than buy shafts from high end makers? Hell, take a friggen $75 Players cue and screw around with the taper.

Personally, I'm in the 2 shaft crowd. Obviously, stuff can happen where you need to have a backup. What I do is try both shafts, and if both play equally, then I tap the shafts on the ground and use the one with the better tone. The other shaft might not see the light of day for a while.


Eric >don't worry, just shoot
 
The problem with the cheap cues is that many of them have similar shafts. Most will be 13mm with roughly a 12" pro taper. Not much variation there.

I'd rather go to a local cuemaker, pay $150 for a shaft whereby I can specify everything from ferrule size/length, taper, tip size, wood quality, joint thickness, etc.

Eric. said:
I dunno if I agree with the rationalizations for extra shafts. If you don't know what taper/size/etc you like in a shaft, wouldn't you wanna experiment with a cheap cue, rather than buy shafts from high end makers? Hell, take a friggen $75 Players cue and screw around with the taper.

Personally, I'm in the 2 shaft crowd. Obviously, stuff can happen where you need to have a backup. What I do is try both shafts, and if both play equally, then I tap the shafts on the ground and use the one with the better tone. The other shaft might not see the light of day for a while.


Eric >don't worry, just shoot
 
Why? Unless you sand your shafts, playing with them and/or breaking with them, will have no detrimental effect on the shaft. I've been playing and breaking with my cue for 7 years, almost every day...the shafts haven't worn out yet!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

hotcues said:
Shafts wear out! If you play alot or break with them.
 
Okay...........

1. Ever been playing for $500 and a tip pop off? I have. Hence, at least I could go to my backup shaft.

2. Barbox tapered shaft. Thinner, longer taper. I guess I am superstitious.

3. Resale. Always nice to have one "almost unplayed."
 
Scott Lee said:
Why? Unless you sand your shafts, playing with them and/or breaking with them, will have no detrimental effect on the shaft. I've been playing and breaking with my cue for 7 years, almost every day...the shafts haven't worn out yet!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com


I'll second that!! I have a cue I play with that is roughly 20yrs old, with it's original shaft. The cue was a road warrior for sure, as the battle scars on it reveal...and the shaft on it plays GREAT!

Lisa
 
StevenPWaldon said:
The problem with the cheap cues is that many of them have similar shafts. Most will be 13mm with roughly a 12" pro taper. Not much variation there.

I'd rather go to a local cuemaker, pay $150 for a shaft whereby I can specify everything from ferrule size/length, taper, tip size, wood quality, joint thickness, etc.


I didn't put my thoughts into words properly...

I was saying that if someone wants to screw around with the taper, et al, buy a cheap cue and have a cue guy grind on it until you know what you like.


Eric
 
Catahula said:
It is always nice to be able to advertise at least "one shaft unplayed" when you get ready to sell it. It makes it sound a little more attractive.
Tommy

Why?? I've never understood this, personally. Shaft unplayed means the tip is probably hard and will need to be changed. The shaft will have no "patina" on it and will feel different than the other. I have four for my current cue and play with all of them.
 
I previously read somewhere on AZ forums that Huebler retired from production cues. So, when I bought a old-stock sneaky pete with a broken nylon insert, I called the shop and was pleasantly surprised that he is still open for repair work. I promptly sent my cue back to be fitted for two additional shafts. 1st shaft as backup, and 2nd shaft in case I ever decide to sell.



ridewiththewind said:
I think another reason you might see a cue with multiple shafts is that the cue was crafted by a maker that is no longer making cues, or may soon be retiring, or one that has an extremely long waiting list. Obtaining additional shafts from these makers may not be an option, or very difficult, to say the least, so more than the normal 2 shafts generally ordered may be desired, as a result.

Lisa
 
Back
Top