What's the shot?

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recent league scenario....

Opponent shooting, getting the 8.

What do you like?

(cut on 8 is just slightly more than 90 degrees)

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I like the shooter here. 8 looks like it will go thin, and playing the 9 at the same time.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
It doesnt look like its laying right for a cross corner. Its a little over 2 diamonds cueball to the 8 and almost four diamonds 8ball to cross corner. You will have to do something here with that shot to make up the two+ diamonds bc the 8 will play short on the bank as well as it will stun short off the rail being so close to the rail if you put any speed on the shot. You could slow hit it with alot of left to open the bank angle up but that slow shot is really sensitive and you better be feeling it to go for this double hill.

The cross side to make the 9 looks easier to me than the cross corner. That will let the cueball go though and it looks like the 2 rail scratch into the same side is in play. The point on the side pocket might also be in bad condition and affect the cross side. It looks pretty close.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
since you are 3RAILKICK, did you try kicking at the 8 to make it?

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I see 2 options for me:

Aggressive: kick 2 rails to try and make the 8. Probably will have to repeat the shot for the 9 if the eight goes. Low percentage.

Defensive: clip the 8 about half-ball on the right side, send the 8 to center table and the cue ball to the end rail. The will have a length of table cut shot shooting from the rail and will need some power as well if they want to get back down table for an easy shot on the 9.

Edit: I see this was a league situation. Is it on a 7-footer? If so, I'd take the aggressive route.

Last edited:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
since you are 3RAILKICK, did you try kicking at the 8 to make it?

While I was pecking at keyboard:

PJ...My illustration is probably a bit off. The 2 rail to the 9 was on, coming off the backcut 8, with a little running right at moderate speed..

Victor...9 footers.

Uwate...

I was sitting watching opponent who wins with the 8 or 9ball.

I commented to teammate about the two chances to win on the same shot.
Especially, with the coaching of her shortstop speed teammate.:eek:

Uwate and Tooler nailed it....no cut on 8, but slight backcut bank cross side, cb 2 rails at the 9ball.

8 ball almost reached the cross side pocket. Cb rolled into hanging 9, pushing 8, 9 and cb out in front of pocket.

I dogged it from there...needed one layer of paint on the 8 and a lot of right to turn the 9 away from the point. Got scared of the squirt, slacked off the right english and pushed the 9 into the point.(the cut/combo didn't go)(force/ follow was double kiss trying to go thru the 8)

Left an open shot to the downtable corner. I lost. Again. Missed it by that much...:sorry:

If I could do it over, might roll it harder, trying to double kiss the 9 off the point into the side. Would be close.

A fun exchange.

Last edited:

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming 9-footer and the 8 doesn't cut, a good shot might be a draw shot banking the 8 side-rail side-rail and coming to rest about midway on the end rail. The cueball draws about 2 feet uptable for a decent defensive safety. With some luck you'll leave your opponent with a long back that's a double-kiss to one corner, and very difficult to the other corner. Or he might combo bank the 9. All tough shots.

If the 9 were more of a hanger in the side, the offensive cross-side 2-way shot might be better. But it looks too sellout-ish from the picture on a 9-footer. Pretty easy to miss everything and leave easy for your opponent. This shot looks hard to judge without actually seeing it IMO.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another possible shot might be to roll the 8 into the siderail and try to freeze the cueball on the endrail. If you can leave the 8 about a diamond-and-a-half off the side rail or a smidge more, you'll force opponent to come with a real good shot on the 8 to beat you. This shot is also tough to know for sure without seeing it.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'd shoot the bank combination here.

There is a one rail cross corner bank, that needs to be hit full and "turned". Not impossible. Second choice.

There might be a Z-bank on the 8 to the bottom left, not that I'd ever shoot that.

Kicking to the left end rail to make the 8 in the side, 1 or 2 rails, has a possible scratch in the top right corner (the 2 railer looks especially dangerous), and just doesn't sit right to be a high percentage shot. Also you might get funny on the 9 even if you make it. If you are the one getting the 8, then that is of course not relevant.

There are a few safeties, all of which I think are low percentage, and at best leaves the opponent a bank of some sort.

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
The bank looks like a decent option, but looks like you'd catch the point if you tried to cut it back that far, maybe it's just the diagram though.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
PJ...My illustration is probably a bit off. The 2 rail to the 9 was on, coming off the backcut 8, with a little running right at moderate speed..
Yeah, that shot I believe - almost suggested it. I was saying the CB wouldn't go near the 9 off a 90-degree cut on the 8 (into the side pocket).

pj
chgo