What's ths benefit of owning a cue stick vs using the ones at the bar

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
If you go to the marketplace here on this site, i believe it brings you to seyberts online store. They are great to deal with & ship quickly. Im sure they will have some nice deals on a cue & case for very reasonable new cue. Good luck in your playing & learning.

Fyi, we arent seeing any picture under your name, so the guy that asked if you were male or female cant tell, lol.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going against the stream

there may be no advantage what soever

I was a good friend of Tim Scruggs and he made some of the best hitting cues ever

he told me nothing played as good as a good ole 1 piece cue,said that he and other great cue makers were hoping to achieve the solid good hit of a house cue

my friend louie harper prefereed a house cue to using my palmer,balabushka or joss,and we won tons of money betting on louie

sometimes it is hard to get one that has a nice tip

i just bought 5 dufferin cues for my house and i love the play of them

call nsa fellow and buy one for under $50 find a tip you like,weight you like
sand the shaft till you like it and enjoy yourself

it is nice to get used to a cue and enjoy something you like,a 2 piece cue is easy to carry
n extra shaft can come in handy

if you notice almost every good player carries his own cue so there must be a reason

i always carried a cue i felt comfortable with,i guess i like to get used to a certain kinda play

there are times when you can not find a good house cue

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It definitely comes down to consistency. A good house cue can be a great playing cue but finding one on a regular basis is a sketchy proposition in most places. If you do happen to be blessed with a place that has an ample supply of quality house cues in good shape you still may not get one that plays the same every time. Different tips, weights, etc all come into play.

Beyond that, a house cue is typically a very stiff taper, butt heavy design with a 13mm shaft and some of poorly maintained tip. That is far from my personal preference so while I can grab a house cue and play, it definitely doesn't feel the way I like my cues to feel (forward balance, linen wrapped, 12mm shaft). So it can also be important to have your own cue so you have one that fits you personal preferences.

While there are always anecdotal tails about people who prefer to play with a house cue, and I've even on occasion seen someone walk in with their own 1-piece cue they brought with them, there is a good reason the huge majority of players have their own 2-piece cue that they can easily carry around.

Now, if I mostly played on a home table I'd love to have a 1-piece cue setup to my preferences and see how one can really play when it matches what I like in a cue. They definitely have a great feeling hit and I'm sure it'd be awesome.

kora636

Registered
Of your two choices, I would recommend the HXT15. It has a Kamui tip, which is a better tip than a LePro. Also, the HXT15 has a low deflection ferrule, which should make it easier for you to learn the game.

Good luck.

BTW, where are you located?
California, costa mesa, I appreciate your help

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
he told me nothing played as good as a good ole 1 piece cue ... sometimes it is hard to get one that has a nice tip
there are times when you can not find a good house cue
The last point is why you need to carry your own cue. There are lots of bars where all of the cues have those slip-on ferrules with the tips worn down to the plastic. I just gave a lesson in a rec room where none of the provided cues had tips -- people had been playing with them like that hitting with just the ferrule. It's hard to find good help.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The last point is why you need to carry your own cue. There are lots of bars where all of the cues have those slip-on ferrules with the tips worn down to the plastic. I just gave a lesson in a rec room where none of the provided cues had tips -- people had been playing with them like that hitting with just the ferrule. It's hard to find good help.

Tell me about. I've been looking all over for someone to push my wheelchair.
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find an eighteen year old female willing to do it. :thumbup:

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you gusy think of Player's cues, model g2252 or hxt15?

Thansk for your help I dearly appreciate

I have been playing with a Players HXT15 for the last 12 months, it's my first cue, so I think I can actually be of help to you here.

Firstly, yes if you're remotely serious about becoming a better player you need your own playing cue (at a minimum, you will want to look into getting a break cue later on as well). If nothing else, your own cue will always be straight, and will be consistent from day to day (imagine playing golf with a different set of clubs each round... how consistent will your game ever be?)

Also you can get the weight and tip that suits you best, something you might not always get in a house cue. This says nothing of the lower deflection of even an entry level cue vs. a house cue, and the better quality tip you will have compared to most house cues.

About the Players HXT15, it's a good entry level cue. I have no complaints about mine at all, I highly recommend it as a great first cue. I'm going to be upgrading to a Predator very soon, but that's not a knock against the Players HXT15, it's just that my game is at a completely different level now than it was when I started a year ago, and it is time for an upgrade.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Tell me about. I've been looking all over for someone to push my wheelchair.
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find an eighteen year old female willing to do it. :thumbup:

Put her in your Will and I'm sure you can find one.........along with a very high hill to be "accidentally" pushed down:eek:

kora636

Registered
put on a good quality tip on it and you're good to go until you want another cue :)
What would you recommend? I was thinking on trying with the one it comes with, if i didn't like that one then I'll go for a kamui medium

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good buy, solid cue for a good price. Stock tip should be fine if it's a Le Pro, just make sure it's well shaped and you'll be set.