When did you do your first run out?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
My first run out came before I played seriously. It was bar box 8 ball, I had been playing off and on for about 4-5 months. I vividly remember almost missing the 8. I hit it so badly I don't know how it made it's way into the pocket. I didn't care how well I played after that.

My first rack of 9 ball was less exciting. I had come close to running out a number of times getting to the 6 and 7 ball. So one day I decided I wasn't leaving the pool hall until I managed it. I started out playing with friends at around 7pm. They left at 11pm, I managed to run out just before 2 am. I think I was more relieved than happy. I managed my first run in competition a couple of months later.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 4 years ago at my dad's pool room. Had just bought my first cue and started playing regularly. Was playing a guy race to 5 for 20. Ran the 1st rack of the set, then won the next 3 games. After that I promptly preceded to fall apart. Missing straight in shots on the 9. Lost 5 in a row. Kinda put a damper on my first run out.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Mine happened a little short of a year ago. (I've only been playing for about 18 months.)

Small in-house tournament at the club I belong to. 8-ball, single game, double elim. (It starts at 7:30 ish and we want to be done at a reasonable hour.) I think there were about 11 or 12 people playing, varying skills, from APA SL3's to SL6's. At that point I'm just barely at SL4 by a few weeks.

Somehow I manage to go through the winners bracket, having beaten a couple of guys much better than me. In a one-game race anyone can manage that, if they play smart and get some rolls. The guy that comes out of the losers bracket is an SL6 that is on my APA team, and one of the better players in the room taht evening. I had won against him earlier in the evening, only because he early-eighted. I had never beaten him in a game before, yet there he was in the finals against me.

Since it's double elim, he has to beat me twice. I don't wanna go there. One of the other guys watching says, jokingly, "better put the eight in on the break so you don't have to worry about it". I laughed along with him. Then I broke, only making one ball. I said "so much for that", with a grin. Then I somehow ran the table out. What a hoot. My opponent had a good laugh, too.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
Do It Again, In The Bahamas

I took up pool late in life. As a conservative, this was after making a
living. I took a post retirement job and managed my first runs.

This was in my first few months of playing pool. Tom D and I were playing
Butch and his girlfriend. We were at the Andros Island, Navy Base, Beach
House and Tom was wagering drinks with the other two. I knew one
shot, high center. This is a very useful shot. I broke the first rack, made
one of each. Well I ran the rest of the balls for the first time.

Al “I have to go, I ran them and I want to savor this the rest of the day.”

Tom “Well, do it again.”

And I did. Tom had 4 drinks waiting for him.

Al “Well, I really have to go now.”

My first table run was two table runs. Always start a winner.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Been playing league for 18 yrs. I can't remember doing one in the early years of league. I worked with a guy that was a pretty good player. We met one day for a few games. My first break, I ran out. I looked at him and said,"want another one"? Yeah, just like it was a common occurrence in my life. Actually, it was a great break and all the balls were in perfect shape so I didn't have to work that hard.

I've done it in the bar just having fun a few times since.

This year I have gotten a few win zips but no EROs.
I'm not saying this because I don't have run outs but I like playing safeties, getting ball BIHs and then having a win zip.
Kinda makes you feel the same way when you leave your opponent with all their balls on the table.

Last edited:

Baby PacMan

My bias makes me RIGHT!
Silver Member
My first run was a little over a week ago.

First, a little background. I play on a Sears special, so I don't even know if you can officialy say I have a pool table yet. Well, I've took a strong interest in 14.1, so I've been watching DVD's and matches. I've loved the 2006 world championships I got from Seyberts for like 15 bucks. So I've been reading a lot on the theory of the game, specifically break shots.

Anyhow, I finally ran my first rack of 14+1 balls, just last week. I used the side pocket to break the stack. And from there ran the balls, till I made it to the break/key ball. When I made to the break ball, I was behind the rack shooting into the corner pocket. I managed to pocket the ball, and break the stack. It was an ugly shot as the cue ball didn't open the stack nearly as much as I wanted to, especially being behind the rack. It left a mess of cluttered balls with no clear shots. But it didn't matter, I felt like a champion! I ran it just like I see on the DVD's. I missed the 16th ball, but I was too happy to care. I ran a whole rack and continued into the second rack. I know I can do it again.

I made it my new year's pool resolution to run 50 balls. I consider this a good first step.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st time was back in 1986. was playing a guy for 50.00. we had started out at 10.00 a game and it kept going up as we went back and forth between us. he the one that kept raising, i was ahead by about 40.00 when he wanted to go for 50.00. i broke and ran out. he paid but he got mouthy calling me a hustler. after he started jawin with his 2 buddies they all 3 headed my way and didnt have smiles on their faces either. i headed for the door. thats why i remember it so well. probably done it 10 times since then.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
When I was about 15 I ran my first full rack of snooker. I've ran a bunch more since. Now there is no place within reasonable distance to play that game.

Nitro Psycho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was probably 17. Went from learning and playing only 9 ball on 9 foot tables to playing 8 ball on a bar box, broke and ran first game ever on a bar box. Haven't broke and ran since lol, I took a hiatus shortly after that, just started playing again about 7 weeks ago.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
That I remember, it was against my brother at 13 years of age and I jumped the 8 (illegally) to win. It's been all down hill from there. ;)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Are you talking about the first time you ran out a set or the first time you didn't have money to pay for the loss of a match and had to run out the pool room?

JoeyA

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you talking about the first time you ran out a set or the first time you didn't have money to pay for the loss of a match and had to run out the pool room?

JoeyA

guess i should have worded it like you did. i broke and ran out a set. i never gambled unless i had money in my pocket to cover it.

since im new on here and and havent actually talked to very many posters i gotta ask if you was trying to be funny? its all good either way , just curious.

crappoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played snooker for about six months then played a few hours of pool and made my first run out. Have since given up pool to focus on snooker but still love the game.