When did you do your first run out?

brulez

cut master
I was curious to hear some storys about your first run outs.

Mine i was at my pool hall like always. and i had taken a break for about 2 weeks. I came in just to say hi to some of my friends and next thing i knew i had a house cue in my hand. I played one of my good buddies. I broke, had a perfect lay out and did stop shots the whole way threw, cuz i couldn't use much english on the house cue. Next thing i remember was lining up for the eight and sending it home:D. My buddy torn down his cue and said well that was fun. Lol i will never for get that day!

I really hope to hear some of your tales as well:thumbup:

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
Mine was in an APA 8-ball match when I was a 4 (I think). I was playing a 7 and our 7 was not there that evening. I broke, had a decent layout but of course got out of shape with 3 to go plus the 8. I looked at the table, tried to think it through and lined up. My opponent then asks "if xxxx (our 7) was here would you have called a time out right now?" when I answered yes he then "suggested" that the route I was taking was wrong and told me how to get out, which I did.

I bought that dude a beer(s).

Winne2tough

Lion or the Lamb
Silver Member
my runout

I grew up thirty miles south of Little Rock Ar. in a rough town called Pine Bluff, Ar. Between the ages of four and 10 years old I played soccer, basketball and baseball at the local ymca before they built a newer one in my later years. They had 6 antique 9 ft brunswicks and 1 antique shuffle board that had been there for years. When my games or practice were over with i would play pool. When i was four i could barely see over the table but i dont remember ever being discouraged of those big tables. I was always a coordinated kid and i played ever sport all the way up to high school even swim team. Basically i was always a natural athelete. So from ages four to eight the only game i knew of was eight ball. I could pocket several balls in a row my first time i started to play the game. Around the age of eight i remember running my first game of eight ball very clear. It involved several bank shots and it wasnt the nicest run out but i did it and was so elated. Ever since its been my most favorite pastime, The one thing i will always remember is banking those balls and being so fascinated with bank shots. Thats probably why my favorite game is bank pool. I was lucky to have natural talent, most of my nieces and nephews dont even have the courage to hold a cue properly and give up and play video games when they come over to my place. I guess if a kid wants to be a pool player you have to let them decide. I did when i was four years old. never regret that decision. Laters!!!
Arkie

PlayerforHire

Registered
My first runout(s)

I was 17 and fairly new at the game. My boyfriend was a pretty strong player (at least back then I used to think so) and we stopped at a little hole-in-the-wall in the middle of nowhere to play a few games. In that tiny little joint with only a handful of witnesses, I ran my first rack. I was so excited! But then it got better. In a town where money breaks, my boyfriend broke the next game, didn't make anything, and I ran that very next rack as well. Banked the last two balls for the win! (Because, of course, I didn't know how to play shape to make it easier.) TWO runs -- back-to-back! I knew I was destined for greatness! (Well, at least back then I used to think so....):wink:

Winne2tough

Lion or the Lamb
Silver Member
?

I was 17 and fairly new at the game. My boyfriend was a pretty strong player (at least back then I used to think so) and we stopped at a little hole-in-the-wall in the middle of nowhere to play a few games. In that tiny little joint with only a handful of witnesses, I ran my first rack. I was so excited! But then it got better. In a town where money breaks, my boyfriend broke the next game, didn't make anything, and I ran that very next rack as well. Banked the last two balls for the win! (Because, of course, I didn't know how to play shape to make it easier.) TWO runs -- back-to-back! I knew I was destined for greatness! (Well, at least back then I used to think so....):wink:

are you a guy or girl "CJ", lol!

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Playing 50 years and I've still never run out. :(

Oh, sorry, I guess you assumed everyone played 8 ball and 9 ball by that generic question, :) I play straight pool to either 100 or 150 points and I'm having a world of trouble getting into the 60s and 70s ..... :shrug:

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I honestly don't remember. At the time it was important to me, but as time went by, it got less and less important. I think it was probably between 3 and 6 months of seriously getting into the game.

I tend to remember losses more than anything else. I can tell you shots that I dogged or lucky rolls my opponent got from 5 years ago, but I can't specifically remember any runs I've had in the last few months and I've had a bunch. I know because I mark them down on my pool hall's break and run competition sheet.

Last edited:

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
First time I ran out was about 1983 - I had just beaten this large African -American gentleman for about the 6th rack in a row , and I noticed his friends were developing quite a poor attitude about it . I RAN OUT the back and didn't quit running til Cleveland . . .:cool:

you just KNEW somebody'd post a story like this , didn't ya ?!?;)

Total_Chaos13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA playoffs 3 sessions ago. We were up 2 games to 1. I was a 4 playing a good 5. Started out a 3-4 race. I won the first one. he ran off 3 in a row to get on the hill. Game 5 was back and forth a played a great safe got ball in hand and got out with the 3-6-8 on the table. Now its hill-hill and i break and run out to win the match for our team. Thats the one and only time i have broke and run in APA, do it 1-2 times a month while we are practicing but never during league. We lost in the first round of the money cup a few weeks later.

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
This is my 3rd year playing and my first 9 ball run out was two years ago and I almost hit the roof I was so happy now it just seems to be natural . I was playin last night at home and had 2 break and runs as for 8 ball I can't remember the first time I ran a rack but I was around the same time as my 9 ball run out .

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had my first "run out" on the same day I shot my first "airbarrel".

Coincidence? I think not!:D

brulez

cut master
Thank you guys for you great storys!!! sorry i didn't specify which game but nine ball and eight seem to be the most common. I really like to hear your about others pool stories! Keep em' coming... :):grin:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
When I was 16-17 and have played for about a year I had my first run-out in 9-ball. Not only one, but two in a row.

My next run-out also happened to be two in a row, then in a tournament just a few weeks later. I lost 7-3, but didn't care. Was so happy :D

Will never forget any of them :)

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
My first run-out was in 8-ball, in 1958. Hope to do it again some day.:wink:

Banks

Banned
I can't quite remember my first one either, but I'm sure I was pretty dang happy.. probably as a 4 or new 5 in APA about 6 years ago (started playing about January 2005).

I do remember my first multi, tho.. in the early fall/late summer of that same year, still a 5, I had to play another 5 in the season end tournament of an in-house bar league I was in. The first time I had played him, he had kicked my butt, so I was a bit scared of a repeat. The players ranked from 1-4, your skill being whatever you needed to win.. we were both 3s. I broke the first rack open.. he ran about 5, I think.. I ran out. I then broke n ran the next rack. He was a little frustrated, of course. I broke the 3rd rack and it spread pretty nice. He said nice, knowing it wasn't a hard runout. I let him know I had never broke n ran 2 in a row.. and then went on to do so. He was none too happy about that 3-3 race. I went on to win the little tournament and got this tall trophy for it that still gives me a kick to this day, since it dwarfs the little APA trophies. Took me a couple of years, I think, to duplicate the back-to-backs.

I do remember break n running my first rack off-handed, though. Same kind of scenario.. was playing an older buddy at the bar after a tournament and told him I'd give him a handicap of playing off-handed. A few shots into it, he said nice out.. again, told him I'd never broke n run that way before.. and so I did.

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First break and run was while playing 7 ball. I broke, made a ball (maybe 2?), and don't remember the details, but I landed nearly straight on the 7 and my heart was thumping out of my chest, and I sank it to win. Threw my hands up in victory.

First break and run in 9 ball was last weekend against a really good player at my friend's work. Broke, made the wing ball, inadvertently broke up the 6-7 cluster and ran out. I got lucky on that one. I'm still striving to run racks without luck, just pure skill lol.

Still haven't broke and ran an 8 ball rack. I just love that feeling of your heart thumping and you knowing if you sink this, it'll be a break and run.