When do you have to replace a tip?

More Weight

I bought this j/b cue used and was wondering if the tip is too short (can you damage the shaft/ferrule breaking with this?) I'd guess that it's okay, but wanted to be sure. The surface holds chalk fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20130315_153253.jpg
    IMG_20130315_153253.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would replace it but that is more because I like playing with tall tips.

The shorter the tip the more of a chance you have to damage the ferrule but you should be fine. It really depends on how hard you hit the ball. If you are doing a ton of stroke shots you might run into some trouble but I doubt it.

If its a break cue change the tip but from the looks of the tip I don't think its a break tip.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tip is fine the way it is. This is how some tips are made when new. A matter of fact, I make some really close to this.:)

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
The tip on the Poison jumper is quite thin to begin with. I have one.

If that was your playing cue, it would be considered a little thin.

Generally the rule of thumb is when the tip becomes the height of a dime.

I know sometimes that when the tip is this high, it is when they seem to play the very best.

There is not much tip left to absorb the shock of a hit and you take the chance of cracking your ferrule.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some players love thin tips like this. You should see what Rafael Martinez plays with, down to the bone! ;)

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
I don't think it's really an issue of how thick or thin it is. Like Jay said, some players like their tips really thin. When the tip stops playing how you like it to play, that's when it's time to replace it. I notice a point where I stop getting the same action out of the cue ball (whether that's real or perceived, I don't know), and that's when I'll usually replace it.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Some tips play great like that. The tip on my break cue is about that height. Standard Triangle, nothing special done to it. I let it glaze over and it hits pretty firm. Never been worried about the ferrule.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some players love thin tips like this. You should see what Rafael Martinez plays with, down to the bone! ;)

Very true. While at the US Open around 2005, I noticed that Johnny Archer's tip was this thin. Mika Immonen's tip was also like this. I know because I sat right behind them.

But then in 2012 Fran Crimi tells me about these players now using thicker tips. Go figure. Thin tips must affect the cueball path different than thicker tips is my guess.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That tip would have been changed a long time before it'd get that thin it if was mine.