When is it ok to cancel a custom cue - already paid half price

smoochie

NotLikeThis
So I’ll try to be brief. Back in February I ordered two custom cues not one; from a really good cue maker, he said the wait time is from 3 to 6 months so we are still within the wait time. i.e he’s not late on his delivery. However during that time period I found a cue that I really enjoy and love to the point where I don’t want to try something new.
I already paid half price which is a big chunk of money that I won’t say here, am I entitled for cancellation and getting my money back? Or is that not something that I can do? I’m asking so that I don’t do something that iam not allowed to do.

I mean I want the common courtesy in this situation! Can I still cancel even though the cue maker might done half the job and he didn’t do anything wrong or is that not nice to do and I must go through with my order and take the two cues even though I already found a cue that I like.

please I don’t want to make the cue maker unhappy which is why I made this post.
 

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can cancel a custom cue order at any time.

Whether you get all your money back is a different story.

Did you and the cue maker ever discuss a cancellation fee or anything of the sort before you made the order and sent your money?
 

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I’ll try to be brief. Back in February I ordered two custom cues not one; from a really good cue maker, he said the wait time is from 3 to 6 months so we are still within the wait time. i.e he’s not late on his delivery. However during that time period I found a cue that I really enjoy and love to the point where I don’t want to try something new.
I already paid half price which is a big chunk of money that I won’t say here, am I entitled for cancellation and getting my money back? Or is that not something that I can do? I’m asking so that I don’t do something that iam not allowed to do.

I mean I want the common courtesy in this situation! Can I still cancel even though the cue maker might done half the job and he didn’t do anything wrong or is that not nice to do and I must go through with my order and take the two cues even though I already found a cue that I like.

please I don’t want to make the cue maker unhappy which is why I made this post.
As a cuemaker if I had started on the cues I would expect you to follow through. If I had not got started I would be fine issuing a refund.
 

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I’ll try to be brief. Back in February I ordered two custom cues not one; from a really good cue maker, he said the wait time is from 3 to 6 months so we are still within the wait time. i.e he’s not late on his delivery. However during that time period I found a cue that I really enjoy and love to the point where I don’t want to try something new.
I already paid half price which is a big chunk of money that I won’t say here, am I entitled for cancellation and getting my money back? Or is that not something that I can do? I’m asking so that I don’t do something that iam not allowed to do.

I mean I want the common courtesy in this situation! Can I still cancel even though the cue maker might done half the job and he didn’t do anything wrong or is that not nice to do and I must go through with my order and take the two cues even though I already found a cue that I like.

please I don’t want to make the cue maker unhappy which is why I made this post.
Just wait for the cue and get the cue you ordered.
Forget about the other cue.
You made a deal.

Why are you shopping around for another cue when you have one on order?
Perhaps you weren't too sure when you put your deposit down when you placed the order.
Only you would know.
 

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay for the cues and sell them. You may even get more back than what you paid depending on the cue.

I know Tascarella will refund your money if the cue you ordered is something he can sell it to another person. If it is too custom to the owner, all bets are off. That is stated on his home page.
 

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try and cancel one of the cues. Sounds like you have already paid close to enough for one of the two cues. As was already stated it may depend on how custom you wanted them.
 

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not real clear if you have decided to cancel one or both cues. Just one and that one basically half paid for, the cue builder might be pretty flexible. As already said over and over, if he has started something pretty unique expect to take a heavy loss even if the cue builder has just ordered materials.

Bottom line, the deposit is to cover materials but it is also to cover buyer's remorse. Wish I could get back even twenty dollars an hour for every hour spent talking to dreamers that will never have anything built. You took it a little further and put up what sounds like a substantial deposit so the cue builder is in control. He could ethically keep every penny of your deposit. He could charge maybe 20-25% for the cancelation and put the rest towards the cue you still have coming. You have proven yourself a little fickle so he may be a little shy about dealing with you now. A careful approach making it plain that what he does is up to him while being courteous and respectful will probably get most of your money refunded or used for another cue.

If he is well known and respected as you say, you probably had just as soon let him build both cues. You are unlikely to lose more than a tiny percentage of what you paid if you leave the tips unchalked. You might even make a buck or two.

Hu
 

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I got the point.. at first I wanted to cancel both cues as I mentioned I found a real good cue for me ... but as a curtsy for the cue maker I will take both. I dunno what else to do
 

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Afficionado
Silver Member
Honesty, keeping your word and communication are all very important in every deal.

My advice would be to call your cuemaker and first emphasize that you are willing and prepared to follow through on your order if need be then explain that you've had this situation come up where you found another cue and ask if anything can be done perhaps he'll be okay with amending the order to be just for 1 cue or maybe a partial refund and who knows maybe he'll say a full refund is okay.

Clearly, if the cuemaker decides to do anything at all it should be considered gracious and kind on his part.

And if the cuemaker decides that he'd rather not accommodate any change request at this point then that has to be just fine with the buyer, as well.

All imo, of course.

best,
brian kc
 
Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
What I really don't understand is if you originally ordered 2 cues and you found another cue you really like, was it not your intention to keep both cues you ordered originally? Too me it seems you wanted 2 cues to keep. So talk to the maker and maybe see if you can cancel one and keep one. That's the least you could do especially if your order was completely custom and out of the realm of what the cuemakers normally makes. Maybe the cues you ordered you will end up liking more and if you never find out, that would be a waste too.

Personally I have only cancelled 1 order out of the 10-15 cues if ordered before. I had some car issues and used the cue money to get my truck fixed. Even though I didn't have the money for the cue any longer, I called the maker and spoke to him about it. If there were any issues where it would hurt his business I would've found a way to get the money. I was lucky because I provided him with the blank and he hadn't cut out the inlays for it yet. Since I cancelled, he made the cue a bit different than I wanted and sold it for much more than what I was originally quoted. Ended up great for the cuemaker and he was such a good sport about the whole situation that the next time I saw him, he gave me $600 of the sale of the cue. I wasn't expecting it and was super surprised and greatful. I originally told him to keep the blank for the effort he already out into the work. So for him to give me the amount plus some extra that I paid for the blank was out of this world.
 

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a cuemaker if I had started on the cues I would expect you to follow through. If I had not got started I would be fine issuing a refund.
My hunch is that you’d be very lucky to get your deposit back, as you’d already made the deal, but who knows. He may have enough work on his hands that if he’s at the point of the process that he can still use your cue for another order, he’ll let you off and refund your deposit. I would reach out to the cuemaker ASAP and discuss the issue. You have to make the decision as to if he won’t give your deposit back, are you still going to cancel the order or follow through with the purchase?
 
Last edited:
Top