When was 9 ball invented?

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know how old 9 ball really is? I've always assumed that 15 ball rotation came first and 9 ball came later as an abbreviated version but I really don't know. The earliest I've heard it referenced was in Mosconi's book Willies Game, where he mentions as a teenager he was spotting some rich guy in 9 ball, so that must have been around 1930 or 1931 but I'm sure it's older than that.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Good question. I know it was around for a while before it sort of passed straight pool in popularity. Wimpy was known as a great 9 Ball player.

Just curious, how does that work spotting someone the 9 ball - in 9 Ball?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It was the early thirties, just after the big crash on Wallstreet. It was originally supposed to be called 8-Ball, but since there was already a game by that name they decided to add one more ball and call it 9-Ball. A guy by the name of Sammy Rosewater came up with the idea, I think. :)

strokerace

"The Hustler"
Silver Member
Yep..tracable to the 1920s..the first version on tv was 7 ball..it was
quick and exciting to veiwers..played alot on bar boxes back in the
day..you could get 2 games out of the 15 balls..the 7 unlike the
7 ball rack..was put on the bottom short rail froze to the rail on the
center diamond..barely ever got made..i dont think i ever made more
than half dozen..cause the rack was like 6 ball and the center ball
in the rear of the rack would hardly move the 7..

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I'm probably wrong, but I speculate the rules of 9-ball were invented somewhere around 10-15 minutes before coming up with the rules of 6-ball. Gambling or not, back in the Depression you couldn't afford to waste those extra balls. So therefore, your question should be re-phrased as when was 6-ball invented?

strokerace

"The Hustler"
Silver Member
I'm probably wrong, but I speculate the rules of 9-ball were invented somewhere around 10-15 minutes before coming up with the rules of 6-ball. Gambling or not, back in the Depression you couldn't afford to waste those extra balls. So therefore, your question should be re-phrased as when was 6-ball invented?

Maybe 3 ball..5 racks for the money!!!

supercue

supercue
Silver Member
Games of Nine ball

when I was just a kid I was working in a Pool hall (mid 30's), nine ball was played with a full rack. Another version was introduced,"short rack nine ball" as we know it today . Another version was then introduced,"near nine",that is ,a full rack was used with the nine in the center playing also, rotation rules, but shooting the closest ball to the Q ball until the nine ball is closest and the nine ball was then made for the win. Try this version as it will teach you a lot about playing position. If anyone wants some details on these games feel free to e-mail me at supercuegary@hotmail.com
Gary B

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9ball

I started playing in the 40es, and we only shoot rotation and snooker in my old room. 10cent cue-20cent snooker. never played 9ball. cant remember 1st game. but play some now and enjoy it. stick 72yr old:confused:

supercue

supercue
Silver Member
The thirtys

Hey Stick i hear ya except I'm goin on 84 and we were getting 5 cents a game and I had to rack all games.When they wanted me to rack they would pound on the floor with there cue butt and hollar, RACK RACK RACK and give you hell if you didn't get there in a hurry. Snooker was 10 cents a game on tight pockets ( 10' tables). I was makin good money at 25% of what I took in,from 11AM to 11PM . NO Time tables and I brushed all the tables every morning and covered them when I closed.
Hey Stick I'm sure you know what I'm talkin about,Right. I know when I tell my grandson,Shane (SVB) he loves to hear some of the old stories.
Gary B