When was the last high stakes 14.1 match up?

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Just curious, there seems to be a lot of love for straight pool amongst many players even though it might not be ideal for TV and hence tournament play.

Why don't we ever see players matching up at straight pool anymore?

Or have I just missed it?
 
TheOne said:
Just curious, there seems to be a lot of love for straight pool amongst many players even though it might not be ideal for TV and hence tournament play.

Why don't we ever see players matching up at straight pool anymore?

Or have I just missed it?

Williebetmore V. Breakup @ DCC?!
 
Alex Pagulayan vs. John Schmidt at DCC about 4 years ago. Race to 300 for a reputed 4 grand. Started at midnight, ended at 5:30 A.M. Pagulayan victorious by a 300-298 score (after trailing about 290 to 160). The last hour was as tension-filled as any sporting contest you have ever seen. High runs = Schmidt 112, Pagulayan 65.

I've never seen any matchup at DCC to equal this one.
 
Williebetmore said:
Alex Pagulayan vs. John Schmidt at DCC about 4 years ago. Race to 300 for a reputed 4 grand. Started at midnight, ended at 5:30 A.M. Pagulayan victorious by a 300-298 score (after trailing about 290 to 160). The last hour was as tension-filled as any sporting contest you have ever seen. High runs = Schmidt 112, Pagulayan 65.

I've never seen any matchup at DCC to equal this one.


This is the last high stakes matchup of 14.1 that I can recall, pretty sad when you consider it was so long ago. I'm sure there has been some small 14.1 action since but nothing worthy of mention.
 
Williebetmore said:
Alex Pagulayan vs. John Schmidt at DCC about 4 years ago. Race to 300 for a reputed 4 grand. Started at midnight, ended at 5:30 A.M. Pagulayan victorious by a 300-298 score (after trailing about 290 to 160). The last hour was as tension-filled as any sporting contest you have ever seen. High runs = Schmidt 112, Pagulayan 65.

I've never seen any matchup at DCC to equal this one.
Is this on tape anywhere? I'd like to see it. Youtube, DVD, VHS?
 
Bishop said:
Is this on tape anywhere? I'd like to see it. Youtube, DVD, VHS?

Bish,
Sorry. There were probably 15 of us who sweated the whole match, no videotape I am aware of. It is a sad commentary on the state of 14.1 that there were so few spectators at arguably the best match ever played.

Perhaps Randy Goldwater, Bob Jewett, and those NJ guys will resurrect the game for us hardcore afficionado's. When played at the highest level it is an elegant and beautiful thing to behold; with an element of tension that is not present in the "short games". JMO.
 
The sport is poorly organized I'm afraid we may never seen 14.1 on TV again. I would love to settle into a good 4 hour match on TV.
 
Williebetmore said:
Bish,
Sorry. There were probably 15 of us who sweated the whole match, no videotape I am aware of. It is a sad commentary on the state of 14.1 that there were so few spectators at arguably the best match ever played.

Perhaps Randy Goldwater, Bob Jewett, and those NJ guys will resurrect the game for us hardcore afficionado's. When played at the highest level it is an elegant and beautiful thing to behold; with an element of tension that is not present in the "short games". JMO.

And 14.1 has a true winner. Not the best breaker, the one who got the rolls, or who lucks in the 9 on the break or while trying for another ball. Johnnyt
 
Great point. For me its more of a puriest game. A real test of talent and skill.
 
Back
Top