Where do you hit the CB to get the most spin in a draw shot?

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My understanding is the lower the better, is this correct?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

My understanding is the lower the better, is this correct?
That's correct for most spin, but most spin doesn't always = most draw. For longer draw shots it's often better to hit slightly above maximum draw (~80% of maximum) to get more speed - the speed keeps the backspin from rubbing off as quickly so there's more left on the CB at contact (i.e., more draw).

Here's Dr. Dave's advice on the topic:

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's correct for most spin, but most spin doesn't always = most draw. For longer draw shots it's often better to hit slightly above maximum draw (~80% of maximum) to get more speed - the speed keeps the backspin from rubbing off as quickly so there's more left on the CB at contact (i.e., more draw).

pj
chgo
Another advantage of aiming a little higher on long, fast draw shots is that if your large effort moves the tip lower than intended, you won't miscue.

Virtual Pool confirms the idea of hitting a little above max low on long draw shots.

skiergd011013

As low as I can while making sure the full tip is still hitting the cueball. The type of cueball and cloth makes a massive difference in achieving draw. For example If you can get a little draw on a heavy bar cueball with dirty cloth, you can probably draw near table length with a normal ball on clean fast cloth.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
Why can't you hit it as low as possible and just move your arm faster?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why can't you hit it as low as possible and just move your arm faster?
At some point you can't move your arm any faster. A typical shot that this idea applies to is with the cue ball behind line, the object ball near the side cushion and the foot pocket and the goal is to draw back to the head cushion. For an arm speed in that range, and for typical clean but used cloth, and for a given stick speed, you get more draw to the cue ball by hitting slightly above max low.

The important point here is that for a given stick speed and a long way to the object ball, as low as possible does not give you the most draw.

For a given stick speed, hitting farther off center reduces the speed of the cue ball leaving the tip. A slower ball has more time to lose its draw.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At some point you can't move your arm any faster. A typical shot that this idea applies to is with the cue ball behind line, the object ball near the side cushion and the foot pocket and the goal is to draw back to the head cushion. For an arm speed in that range, and for typical clean but used cloth, and for a given stick speed, you get more draw to the cue ball by hitting slightly above max low.

The important point here is that for a given stick speed and a long way to the object ball, as low as possible does not give you the most draw.

For a given stick speed, hitting farther off center reduces the speed of the cue ball leaving the tip. A slower ball has more time to lose its draw.
I understand the logic. So then it all comes down to how far the player can get the cb to slide, correct?

OK, so let's put a little reverse (pardon the pun) on this concept. If I can get the cb to slide the same distance on two identical shots, except on one shot I strike the cb the at the lowest point possible and on the other shot I strike it above the lowest point possible, will one shot draw the the cb back farther?

Because if it's about sliding, I know I can get the cb to slide pretty far while still hitting the lowest point. How much more sliding does a player need?

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I understand the logic. So then it all comes down to how far the player can get the cb to slide, correct?
No, it's got nothing to do with the player. For long draw shots, if you shoot with a particular cue speed, you will draw the cue ball farther with a slightly higher hit. If you hit it harder, you will draw the cue ball farther and about that same higher hit will give you more draw than the lowest possible hit.

I was quite surprised when I discovered this during draw practice. I came up a little bit and suddenly the cue ball zipped right back. Entirely unexpected and counterintuitive. I was glad to see my observation confirmed both by equations and simulations.

If you look at this study you can see that the pros hit all their draw shots with almost the same contact height on the cue ball. I think that by just hitting a ton of draw shots you will find this spot intuitively. The spot is 17.4 mm (11/16inch) from the cloth.

"A group of 20 top elite players (height: 180.2 ± 6.7 cm, mass: 80.3 ± 13.5 kg), all of them ranked under the top 80 of the Euro-tour of the European Pocket Billiard Federation, 5 of them former world champions"

Skärmavbild 2022-11-23 kl. 10.38.55.png

skiergd011013

[nitpick on]

I assume you mean "the full tip is still covering the cueball" - of course the full tip can never hit the CB (not all at once).

[nitpick off]

pj
chgo
yup. Another rough way to explain where i hit a draw shot is to set
the tip on the cloth infront of the cueball, then bring it up one tip. That is roughly where i hit. Of course i dont actually do that. I just eye ball it.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it's got nothing to do with the player. For long draw shots, if you shoot with a particular cue speed, you will draw the cue ball farther with a slightly higher hit. If you hit it harder, you will draw the cue ball farther and about that same higher hit will give you more draw than the lowest possible hit.

I was quite surprised when I discovered this during draw practice. I came up a little bit and suddenly the cue ball zipped right back. Entirely unexpected and counterintuitive. I was glad to see my observation confirmed both by equations and simulations.
So if it's not the player, and it's more of a matter of physics, then it would be helpful to be able to say, at X mph, and at X distance, requiring the cb to draw back X distance, then 1/2 or 1 tip higher than the lowest acceptable strike point on the cb would be optimal.

Otherwise, how do you teach something like this? How have you determined for yourself when to hit higher than the lowest possible point? Because, we know that there are other types of shots where the lowest possible point will yield better results, right? So in a match, for instance, how do you know when you're not about to sell yourself short by hitting higher?

Reactions: bbb

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... how do you teach something like this? ...
When working on long draw shots I simply say, "Try hitting a little higher than for max draw and see what happens." It's easy. The student gets a feel for it, just as I have. You can't reduce it to formulas because students don't learn by formulas. The physics part helps you understand the phenomenon but it is not required in play. It lets you know that there is something real there rather than some voodoo pool that has no basis in reality.

xX-Wizard-Xx

So if it's not the player, and it's more of a matter of physics, then it would be helpful to be able to say, at X mph, and at X distance, requiring the cb to draw back X distance, then 1/2 or 1 tip higher than the lowest acceptable strike point on the cb would be optimal.

Otherwise, how do you teach something like this? How have you determined for yourself when to hit higher than the lowest possible point? Because, we know that there are other types of shots where the lowest possible point will yield better results, right? So in a match, for instance, how do you know when you're not about to sell yourself short by hitting higher?
Just go out and ply and learn ... pool is as much about feel and experience as setting exact numbers and expecting exact results

xX-Wizard-Xx

even the tightness of the cloth and wear affects the amount of draw applied. so expecting to hit a ball at such and such speed will not be exactly reproducible on all tables

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
even the tightness of the cloth and wear affects the amount of draw applied. so expecting to hit a ball at such and such speed will not be exactly reproducible on all tables
I think this is a common misconception. The amount of draw applied to the cue ball is not significantly changed by the cloth. The amount of draw the cue ball has when it gets to the object ball is greatly affected by the cloth.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i am not very sophisticated so for me i figure out where i have to hit the cue ball and how hard for a stop shot
then adjust down my tip based on how far i need to draw
i will need to experiment with the idea to adjust LESS down for more draw with more distance between cue ball and object ball