Where do you see cue sales this year?

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you see cue sales this year? With the decline of many retail establishments, do you envision the cue maker to do well this year? Not just the cue maker , but cue related sales in general.
I see rising prices on a few makers, and many deals being cut on others. It seems to me if sales are falling, will the prices get more demanding and will the investments of cues bought in the past years when sales were lucrative take a loss? Just pondering where the sales of pool items will take the hardest hit and your opinions.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Those who offer good quality products at "motivated" pricing should see steady sales all year.
Anyone hoping to get rich flipping cues at ridiculously high prices should think twice about
giving up that day job. I'm so happy I sold off the bulk of my highend stuff at the peak. Too
old now to "wait out the storm", but many flippers will have to do just that or take a big hit.
Supply is in the Glut mode and will eventually level off IF and when demand catches up.
As much as I hate to say it, the real (steady) money comes from bar players and leagues.
There will always be hard-core purists who will try their best to keep as many Real Pool Halls
up and running, but that is not the bread & butter for the manufacturers / suppliers. Home
owners, recreational players / bar leagues and the like are the focus these days. It saddens
me tremendously to hear / read about another Pool Hall biting the dust.
My best friend made a very profound statement to me upon my return from a 3 yr. tour in
S/E Asia and asked him what happened to many of my favorite hangouts while I was gone.
His simple reply : "Nothing lasts forever". So it is with Pool Halls, the Billiards Industry, Pay
Telephone Booths, and countless other things we took for granted would never change.

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
People need to stop seeing pool cues as an investment. That's the issue, not the industry fluctuating like it always will. If you are one of those people with a closet full of beanie babies, you're doing it wrong.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People need to stop seeing pool cues as an investment. That's the issue, not the industry fluctuating like it always will. If you are one of those people with a closet full of beanie babies, you're doing it wrong.

Yep. Yep. Yep.

Most people that order a custom cue, are already trying to sell it before it arrives on their doorstep.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Production cue companies will do very well. Younger players with income are buying cues up like crazy for their bar leagues. I am having a problem with one of the billiard supply houses right now and I think it is because they are so busy their technology is not advanced enough to keep up with demand. This company has little or no communication with their warehouse.

Willi Makaball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be a bit optimistic but think that cue sales will be above average. What I base this prediction on is the new tv show "Kings of Cue" that starts in late April.
Hopefully pool will get a interest boost much as poker did when , Mike Sexton started the world poker tour for tv, if pool gets have the new players that poker did cue sales should be getting pretty good.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High End

High End cues will sell for less this year then last year as the trend downward continues. In my opinion the peak year was 2007. I think the trend will continue down until they reach the prices they were between 95-98. There are many reasons the economy is only one.I know several people wanting to sell off portions or all of their collections but are holding off until the economy picks up , that still will not bring the high end collector back into the fold. The collectors today who have cash are going directly to the source the cuemaker to get their cues. The secondary market is just about dried up.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I see production cue and sub $1000 custom cue sales increasing as long as gas prices stay low. People tend to spend more money on recreation if their disposable income is increased by a reduction in cost such as gas. I also expect to see Box Office numbers increase. It wasn't a coincidence that American Sniper and the movie industry had a great weekend. Just my two cents

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you see cue sales this year? With the decline of many retail establishments, do you envision the cue maker to do well this year? Not just the cue maker , but cue related sales in general.
I see rising prices on a few makers, and many deals being cut on others. It seems to me if sales are falling, will the prices get more demanding and will the investments of cues bought in the past years when sales were lucrative take a loss? Just pondering where the sales of pool items will take the hardest hit and your opinions.

I dont' think it takes a hit, With streaming and looping over to big tv is fun, especially HD.
A very easy game to learn once one gets basics down like grips and stance. The bridge was a big hindrance but now the open is popular. I very much prefer closed. More tables and equipment will be spend this year I predict. Pool has hurt itself because it wasn't promoting. Now Sports and theater rooms are in. Perfect for pool table.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those who offer good quality products at "motivated" pricing should see steady sales all year.
Anyone hoping to get rich flipping cues at ridiculously high prices should think twice about
giving up that day job. I'm so happy I sold off the bulk of my highend stuff at the peak. Too
old now to "wait out the storm", but many flippers will have to do just that or take a big hit.
Supply is in the Glut mode and will eventually level off IF and when demand catches up.
As much as I hate to say it, the real (steady) money comes from bar players and leagues.
There will always be hard-core purists who will try their best to keep as many Real Pool Halls
up and running, but that is not the bread & butter for the manufacturers / suppliers. Home
owners, recreational players / bar leagues and the like are the focus these days. It saddens
me tremendously to hear / read about another Pool Hall biting the dust.
My best friend made a very profound statement to me upon my return from a 3 yr. tour in
S/E Asia and asked him what happened to many of my favorite hangouts while I was gone.
His simple reply : "Nothing lasts forever". So it is with Pool Halls, the Billiards Industry, Pay
Telephone Booths, and countless other things we took for granted would never change.

The Country is not as social as 50's on these days. We're putting up bigger fences etc. Home rec is in which makes for better family atmosphere. Pool tables, dart board, shuffle table, ping pong, electronics. Screw sitting around watching stupid movies. Move arse time!

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The cue industry really out paced itself with ridiculous prices when a cue off rack will do just as good. Unless it's for a touring pro.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see production cue and sub $1000 custom cue sales increasing as long as gas prices stay low. People tend to spend more money on recreation if their disposable income is increased by a reduction in cost such as gas. I also expect to see Box Office numbers increase. It wasn't a coincidence that American Sniper and the movie industry had a great weekend. Just my two cents

Half the cost of a good table. I doubt it. And I don't think they went to movies to see Clint's Sniper because gas is cheaper. We love Eastwood period!