Where is Corey

manopr350

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the best winning percentages, if not the best, of any American player in any of the Mosconi Cups. Experienced and knowledgeable in all disciplines of pool. Cool under pressure and he is not even mentioned nor considered for the upcoming Mosconi Cup.
A damn shame. Is there a conspiracy to keep the Americans loosing ?
My honest opinion.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the best winning percentages, if not the best, of any American player in any of the Mosconi Cups. Experienced and knowledgeable in all disciplines of pool. Cool under pressure and he is not even mentioned nor considered for the upcoming Mosconi Cup.
My honest opinion.
All good points. I can only assume Corey just doesn't play in enough of the bigger events to be able to be considered for the US Mosconi Cup team, much like Justin Bergman. Yes, it is kind of strange his name is not on the list.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recent FB post. Sorry bout the size.

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-08-10-11-20-31-1.jpg
    Capture+_2018-08-10-11-20-31-1.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,176

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My honest opinion.

A fine thought.

But to answer your question...prob playing golf.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In an effort to avoid work, I have done additional thinking re the matter.
Perhaps the disclusion is an effort to somewhat influence American pool structure. No longer can players rest on aptitude and past successes... They will need to show some current success and motivation, by playing certain events and specific training sessions?

Seems like a part time job to me.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only a week away Corey vs Danny Smith are playing a big one pocket match.

Corey is one of the most creative players in pool today.This should be a real interesting match for anybody that likes one pocket.

Winner of this match gets to play Francisco Bustamante next in this same format.

38446374_677079902632036_8791644703104696320_n small.jpg

Best commentator in the business Jeremy Jones is 100% confirmed to be the commentator for this match :dance:

21231755_10156562751390898_4734617009254604103_n.jpg

Last edited:

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree, where is Corey and also Justin? It's a shame both of these players won't be on the team. IMO both should have made it.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree, where is Corey and also Justin? It's a shame both of these players won't be on the team. IMO both should have made it.

Wonder what he meant by he didn't need to brown nose captain or svb? Does svb have input as to who is considered for the team? That could be a slippery slope if so.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any team needs a certain amount of cohesion.
If Shane is the captain of said team, officially or otherwise,
I’m not surprised coach and captain would want those
they like. Sucks about some like Corey and Justin but it makes
sense to me.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All good points. I can only assume Corey just doesn't play in enough of the bigger events to be able to be considered for the US Mosconi Cup team, much like Justin Bergman. Yes, it is kind of strange his name is not on the list.

He has actually played quite a bit in the last year: over 1000 games performed at 785 speed.

In addition he has over 200 games this year against top Europeans: Shaw, Filler, Gorst, Ouschan, Kaci and Van Den Berg. His record for those?

104 wins; 88 losses

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you're right, it is a damn shame.... that facecrack doesn't have grammar check, jeezzz :/ LOL.
all in fun.
Corey has definitely been around the top US players for a long time. Perhaps all the BS that surrounds him is the issue, some people consider some of his so called genius moves as sharking or just an attempt to throw off an opponent. Personally I like to watch Corey, like that time SVB had to start losing on purpose so he only won 100-70 and didn't scare away other action... haha only joking... no, not really.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Gotta love Corey's attitude, and I agree. He's always been a **** you type of guy, and not interested in your games or politics. Players shouldn't have to jump through hoops, kiss ass, or even care that your a 10 time, winning Mosconi Cup captain to be on the team.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta love Corey's attitude, and I agree. He's always been a **** you type of guy, and not interested in your games or politics. Players shouldn't have to jump through hoops, kiss ass, or even care that your a 10 time, winning Mosconi Cup captain to be on the team.
That is definitely something I appreciate about svb as well.

Of course, it is also called a lack of cohesiveness.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
How so?? You can be cohesive, without sucking up. It's politics more or less and Corey is not interested in that BS. Like he stated, have clear ranking events, a set schedule, etc... Don't muddy the waters, change schedules, etc...and expect the players to kneel, and bend for the Almighty Mosconi Cup.
Sure it might be the holy grail of pool to play in it, but if I have to cow down to anyone just to play, to hell with it. They can take that shit show back across the pond.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess he’s implying that all the racking arguments have turned svb against him.

I think he is a top 5 American player and should be on the team. Bergman and Dechaine are top 5 as well. Svb, Corey, Dechaine, Bergman, and Woodward would be their best team. If not Woodward, then maybe Dominguez, Thorpe, or Earl.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the best winning percentages, if not the best, of any American player in any of the Mosconi Cups. ...

Quite a few Team USA players have better records percentage-wise than Deuel, but most of them have played only a small number of times.

If we eliminate everyone who has played in fewer than 4 Cups, we're considering just 10 players. Ranked by their winning percentages, we have:

Singles
1. Williams 6-2 (75%)
2. Archer 17-13 (57%)
3. Morris 10-8 (56%)
T4. Strickland 14-12 (54%)
T4. Deuel 7-6 (54%)

Doubles
1. Strickland 24-12 (67%)
2. Archer 27-23 (54%)
3. Jones 10-9 (53%)
4. Deuel 13-12 (52%)

Singles and doubles combined
1. Strickland 38-24 (61%)
2. Williams 12-9 (57%)
3. Archer 44-36 (55%)
4. Deuel 20-18 (53%)

All matches combined -- singles, doubles, trebles, teams
1. Strickland 43-26 (62%)
2. Deuel 27-20 (57.4%)
3. Williams 12-9 (57.1%)
4. Archer 50-41 (55%)

The above numbers count a full win or loss for each player in each match. Another way of looking at the records is to count a full point for each player in a singles win or loss, a half a point for each player in a doubles win or loss, a third of a point for each player in a trebles (played only in 2006) win or loss, and one-fifth of a point (one-sixth in 2006 when the teams had 6 players) for each player in a team win or loss. On this basis, and looking only at all matches combined, we have:

1. Williams 9.0-5.5 (62%)
2. Strickland 27.2-18.4 (60%)
3. Archer 31.8-25.6 (55.4%)
4. Deuel 15.1-12.4 (54.9%)

The career records of everyone who has ever played in the Mosconi Cup can be found here: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=464772

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How so?? You can be cohesive, without sucking up. It's politics more or less and Corey is not interested in that BS. Like he stated, have clear ranking events, a set schedule, etc... Don't muddy the waters, change schedules, etc...and expect the players to kneel, and bend for the Almighty Mosconi Cup.
Sure it might be the holy grail of pool to play in it, but if I have to cow down to anyone just to play, to hell with it. They can take that shit show back across the pond.

I feel “bow down” might be strong words.

I suppose you either want to be on the team while being
a part of the team, wherever your place happens to be,
or you don’t.

If a coach or captain or both feel your not a good fit, so be it.

The best teams are not always made up of the best players.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Quite a few Team USA players have better records percentage-wise than Deuel, but most of them have played only a small number of times.

If we eliminate everyone who has played in fewer than 4 Cups, we're considering just 10 players. Ranked by their winning percentages, we have:

Singles
1. Williams 6-2 (75%)
2. Archer 17-13 (57%)
3. Morris 10-8 (56%)
T4. Strickland 14-12 (54%)
T4. Deuel 7-6 (54%)

Doubles
1. Strickland 24-12 (67%)
2. Archer 27-23 (54%)
3. Jones 10-9 (53%)
4. Deuel 13-12 (52%)

Singles and doubles combined
1. Strickland 38-24 (61%)
2. Williams 12-9 (57%)
3. Archer 44-36 (55%)
4. Deuel 20-18 (53%)

All matches combined -- singles, doubles, trebles, teams
1. Strickland 43-26 (62%)
2. Deuel 27-20 (57.4%)
3. Williams 12-9 (57.1%)
4. Archer 50-41 (55%)

The above numbers count a full win or loss for each player in each match. Another way of looking at the records is to count a full point for each player in a singles win or loss, a half a point for each player in a doubles win or loss, a third of a point for each player in a trebles (played only in 2006) win or loss, and one-fifth of a point (one-sixth in 2006 when the teams had 6 players) for each player in a team win or loss. On this basis, and looking only at all matches combined, we have:

1. Williams 9.0-5.5 (62%)
2. Strickland 27.2-18.4 (60%)
3. Archer 31.8-25.6 (55.4%)
4. Deuel 15.1-12.4 (54.9%)

The career records of everyone who has ever played in the Mosconi Cup can be found here: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=464772

It seems that Corey would have the best record of the players actually being considered
for the current Mosconi team.