Where to play in Greensboro

back2good1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been to Greensboro several times in the last few months but never with enough time to go out and play... well I am headed out east once again and this time will have a little more time to play as it will be a two week trip. Can someone point me in a good direction to tournaments / cheap action?

thanks,

-Back2good1

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooters. 'Nuff said. All you want in a poolroom. You'll like Eric, also. He's the owner. Tell him Craw said hello and tell him your TRUE speed and I'm sure you'll have an eventful time.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
check your PM back2good1

for an offer you can't refuse :grin:

(and yes, crawfish nailed THE top players venue in GSO)

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
back2good1 said:
I have been to Greensboro several times in the last few months but never with enough time to go out and play... well I am headed out east once again and this time will have a little more time to play as it will be a two week trip. Can someone point me in a good direction to tournaments / cheap action?

thanks,

-Back2good1

Carlos,

I lived there for 6 years. I have some great friends there..Check out Breaker's on Friendly Ave in the afternoon's. Usually a good ring game, or Scotch Dbl's going on. Especially on Mondays!! 3:30 or so till 7-7:30

They play cheap...it's a lot of fun with some great guys playing. Tell them I sent you....Most of them are 8 speed. Tony, Andy, Steve, Rick, and John will probably all be there.

If you are bored, and brave...head down to Coliseum Billiards. (Florida Ave. just off Hight Point Rd.) It's a rough place....It's Earl's hangout. You'll probably find him in there most of the time. Eddie G. is the owner, and quite a character!!

Please tell them all I said hello!!!

Have a GREAT time.

Rick S.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Rick S. said:
Carlos,

I lived there for 6 years. I have some great friends there..Check out Breaker's on Friendly Ave in the afternoon's. Usually a good ring game, or Scotch Dbl's going on. Especially on Mondays!! 3:30 or so till 7-7:30

They play cheap...it's a lot of fun with some great guys playing. Tell them I sent you....Most of them are 8 speed. Tony, Andy, Steve, Rick, and John will probably all be there.
If you are bored, and brave...head down to Coliseum Billiards. (Florida Ave. just off Hight Point Rd.) It's a rough place....It's Earl's hangout. You'll probably find him in there most of the time. Eddie G. is the owner, and quite a character!!

Please tell them all I said hello!!!

Have a GREAT time.

Rick S.

And me be there at Breakers! Rick, I musta just missed you before your (I assume) move to AZ. I started back up on the stick recently and got into the Breakers ring game about 6 months ago. I'll let the guys know you said hello, ask 'em about any embarrassing stories they have on you, and then come back and post them here! :eek:

Rick, I'd be happy to take a pic of the gang today and post or send if you'd like... (and 1 of Tonya, our beloved hot bartendress!)

Matt

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KoolKat9Lives said:
And me be there at Breakers! Rick, I musta just missed you before your (I assume) move to AZ. I started back up on the stick recently and got into the Breakers ring game about 6 months ago. I'll let the guys know you said hello, ask 'em about any embarrassing stories they have on you, and then come back and post them here! :eek:

Rick, I'd be happy to take a pic of the gang today and post or send if you'd like... (and 1 of Tonya, our beloved hot bartendress!)

Matt

I moved back to Az 6 yrs ago.

I used to be in everyday...like clockwork. You won't find a nicer group of guys anywhere. I can't begin to tell you how much I miss them. (me and my wallet!) We had some GREAT times over the years.

That's what I look forward to the most when I visit. That, and golf with Eddie G. and the Coliseum boys.

Tonya.....what a girl! Do me a favor, and tell her I'm coming into town, and want to know if she'll go to 'breakfast' with me. Guaranteed, you'll get a big smile!! She's a hottie....

Please do tell everyone hello for me!!

No doubt, I'll meet you. Probably a matter of months before I come for a vist.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Rick S. said:
I moved back to Az 6 yrs ago.

I used to be in everyday...like clockwork. You won't find a nicer group of guys anywhere. I can't begin to tell you how much I miss them. (me and my wallet!) We had some GREAT times over the years.

That's what I look forward to the most when I visit. That, and golf with Eddie G. and the Coliseum boys.

Tonya.....what a girl! Do me a favor, and tell her I'm coming into town, and want to know if she'll go to 'breakfast' with me. Guaranteed, you'll get a big smile!! She's a hottie....

Please do tell everyone hello for me!!

No doubt, I'll meet you. Probably a matter of months before I come for a vist.

the reg's been there for over 6 years then? Dayaaaaaammm (my So Cal attempt at a drawl, lol). I'll pass the word Rick!

Drop a line when you plan to come - if you're buds with the reg's, you're surely fine people! BTW, I'll give ya one a side, blind... :thumbup:

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over 10 years, and still going.

I used to play Sedgefield a lot, along with Grandover. Grandover was behind my house. Also loved Tanglewood! (maybe the best course for the $$$ there is anywhere.)

We used to play them all....Pinehurst, Tobacco Rd.

There might be better courses here, but you pay for it. Especially in the winter. Green fees can run over 200.00 easily, with all the old folks spending the winters here.

I miss it....

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Bryan Park has gone thru a ton of upgrades. They have next years US Publinx and have been holding lots of regional and national NCAA. Incredible course. Twilight rate today: $31!!! I played it last week with Tony... Man oh man, can that man put down the Miller Lites (as you know!) He had polished off his 12 pack by the turn, got another 6 pack, and in 95 degree heat... That course is not forgiving and got his #. It was playing @ 7000 and for the just turned 60 yr old southpaw, well... He enjoyed the beautiful Lake Townsend vistas... and my stellar play (self gratuitous plug).

Anyway, Tony said "you tell ole Pony-Tail Rick I said hey! And ask him if he ever got a job. Man, that guy's got it made. One time he tried plumbing for 1-2 days and quit - saying he didn't know how I did it. All he does is play pool, golf and have fun. I sure do miss him!"
Tony remembers you back to the days of Bakers pool hall - what 25 years ago? I asked him who had the nuts, and he begrudgingly said you had a slight edge on him, and played tight with Rick, whom I play tight with.

You got all kinds of action here any time friend. Get on back for a spell!

Matt

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl just told me last week about Bryan Park. Said it was better than it's ever been.

Tony's a cool guy.. Is there anything else besides pool and golf?

I went in Baker's a few times....way back when. It was the real hotspot in it's day.

Only guy that gave me fits was Phil....he's tough. When he was on, he could fire them in with the best of them.

it's been 2 years since my last trip....I'm way overdue. It's just tough to stop playing pool-golf long enough to travel that far!!! Actually we have a pet that restricts out travel, greatly!

I have been going to Mexico a lot, it has it's advantages (diving-fishing) over Greensboro.:smile: BUT, not the people I miss.:(

I'm going to get back that way soon...hopefully before it gets cold. (can't stand it!)

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
more places in the g'boro

Rick S. said:
Earl just told me last week about Bryan Park. Said it was better than it's ever been.

Tony's a cool guy.. Is there anything else besides pool and golf?

I went in Baker's a few times....way back when. It was the real hotspot in it's day.

Only guy that gave me fits was Phil....he's tough. When he was on, he could fire them in with the best of them.

it's been 2 years since my last trip....I'm way overdue. It's just tough to stop playing pool-golf long enough to travel that far!!! Actually we have a pet that restricts out travel, greatly!

I have been going to Mexico a lot, it has it's advantages (diving-fishing) over Greensboro.:smile: BUT, not the people I miss.:(

I'm going to get back that way soon...hopefully before it gets cold. (can't stand it!)

Indeed - diving. lmao, I just read your profile vs mine. I'm looking to get back down again to the Keys real soon and get proficient at spear fishing -to add to my ever growing list of solo redemptionless skills!

Phil doesn't shoot much lately, but he hangs there messing with computers and chatting it up with the guys and "the proprietor's daughter". I played 3 ring one time with him, and I think I scared him back into retirement. :wink:

Rick and I are going to Jakes tomorrow on Spring Garden Bvd to play an 8 ball tourney. I've never been there, but just about everyone I know has and enjoys the place ($1 beer and $1 dog days!). I did finally go to the Coliseum (during daylight hours), and saw Earl's table covered. That place looks like at certain hours you'd better know someone, like Smith & Wesson, if you enjoy good health. Earl also stopped in a couple times at Shooters lately and one friend has it he may come there more often - after his long and winding tour with Arch and crew take a break. I used to see him at Breakers, but not lately. I know I could hand him his hat in his hand, if he'd just give me the one and out... You ever play golf with E? I'm sure he's got to be single dig handi... I was a plus 2 before I had to start back working again in 2000. Now I just add 2 to every hole, lol.

Other places to play in Greensboro (in a weakly veiled attempt to disguise the hijacking of back2good1's thread...) Tailgators bought out Cue and Spirits on Battleground Ave (@ the 3600 block opposite Brassfield). They've got 7 fast GCIII's (perhaps the fastest tables in Greensboro, although Shooters 9' diamonds are close in speed, but those Diamonds have the livliest rails and you can't compare these 4" to GC's). Friendly place, full bar, nice sports viewing, no food, light on action.

There's a new (supposedly high end) hall about to open on the Big Box corridor of Wendover Ave (on Stanley?). Perhaps a couple months away.

BeeGees on High Point Rd has some tables and perhaps some action (never been there, and I heard it may just be crossing into a bit rougher side of town).

Players on Market St. Played there once years ago, had a bunch of 9'ers, not sure of action there, but no one I know speaks of it.

Lucky Seven near Shooters - BBoxes only? It gets some traffic from what I hear.

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Shooters. 'Nuff said. All you want in a poolroom. You'll like Eric, also. He's the owner. Tell him Craw said hello and tell him your TRUE speed and I'm sure you'll have an eventful time.

I have to agree with Keith. Shooters is the best place to play in Greensboro. Granted, I'm the owner.

When you're in town, swing on by. My name is Eric.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drater said:
I have to agree with Keith. Shooters is the best place to play in Greensboro. Granted, I'm the owner.

What's up dude? You gotta love this free advertising. Make the players love it.... and they will come.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
crawfish said:
What's up dude? You gotta love this free advertising. Make the players love it.... and they will come.

Free is good! 'Specially when you have the goods like Shooters!

Hey, did you two ever manage to tangle?

back2good1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drater said:

Right on Eric... see you next week!

-Carlos

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keys are alright...best there is on the east coast. Too expensive for me to consider, compared to Mexico. I can be on the water in Mexico within 4 hrs driving. Never could do the free diving ...can't equalize quick enough to do any damage.

Same Ol' Phil....he hasn't changed! And never will....

Jake's used to be a dive....without a good shooter in the whole place. It must have changed some.

Earl and I are good friends. He stayed 2 weeks with me last month, during the Shootout Tourny, and the 1st stop of the Earl-Johnny Pool School in Phx. We were neighbors for a few years in Sedgefield. Played a good bit of golf back then.

Played some really nice courses while he was here. Some ass eating courses!! He never shot over 80 on any of them.

Your right about Coliseum....it can be a tough place! Also can have a lot of $$$ floating around at times. Crack dealers-hustlers-con men are all part of the scenery. Sometimes betting crazily....BIG money.

When I was there about 8 yrs ago now....one late night the doors flew open, and a couple guys walked in....firing a gun into the ceiling as they entered. They got some $$$ and left, without hurting anyone. Yeah, it's best to travel in 'pairs' around there. Especially late nights.

I stopped in Bee Gee McGee's last time there. It really went downhill, bigtime. Again, nobody in there that could, or would play. It was at night though. They use to have a little action in there during the days...Joe was almost always in the middle of it.

Last edited:

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
KoolKat9Lives said:
Bryan Park has gone thru a ton of upgrades. They have next years US Publinx and have been holding lots of regional and national NCAA. Incredible course. Twilight rate today: $31!!! I played it last week with Tony... Man oh man, can that man put down the Miller Lites (as you know!) He had polished off his 12 pack by the turn, got another 6 pack, and in 95 degree heat... That course is not forgiving and got his #. It was playing @ 7000 and for the just turned 60 yr old southpaw, well... He enjoyed the beautiful Lake Townsend vistas... and my stellar play (self gratuitous plug).

Anyway, Tony said "you tell ole Pony-Tail Rick I said hey! And ask him if he ever got a job. Man, that guy's got it made. One time he tried plumbing for 1-2 days and quit - saying he didn't know how I did it. All he does is play pool, golf and have fun. I sure do miss him!"
Tony remembers you back to the days of Bakers pool hall - what 25 years ago? I asked him who had the nuts, and he begrudgingly said you had a slight edge on him, and played tight with Rick, whom I play tight with.

You got all kinds of action here any time friend. Get on back for a spell!

Matt
Hi Matt,

Tell Tonya and the rest of the gang HI from me. I hope your taking their cash on table 4.

Lou

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
Rick S. said:
Keys are alright...best there is on the east coast. Too expensive for me to consider, compared to Mexico. I can be on the water in Mexico within 4 hrs driving. Never could do the free diving ...can't equalize quick enough to do any damage.

Same Ol' Phil....he hasn't changed! And never will....

Jake's used to be a dive....without a good shooter in the whole place. It must have changed some.

Earl and I are good friends. He stayed 2 weeks with me last month, during the Shootout Tourny, and the 1st stop of the Earl-Johnny Pool School in Phx. We were neighbors for a few years in Sedgefield. Played a good bit of golf back then.

Played some really nice courses while he was here. Some ass eating courses!! He never shot over 80 on any of them.

Your right about Coliseum....it can be a tough place! Also can have a lot of $$$ floating around at times. Crack dealers-hustlers-con men are all part of the scenery. Sometimes betting crazily....BIG money.

When I was there about 8 yrs ago now....one late night the doors flew open, and a couple guys walked in....firing a gun into the ceiling as they entered. They got some $$$ and left, without hurting anyone. Yeah, it's best to travel in 'pairs' around there. Especially late nights.

I stopped in Bee Gee McGee's last time there. It really went downhill, bigtime. Again, nobody in there that could, or would play. It was at night though. They use to have a little action in there during the days...Joe was almost always in the middle of it.

The pearl won the Sedgefield Club Championship about 6-8 years ago. He plays pretty sporty...75-75 was his scores.
Action at Shooters is a great spot to find some cheap or medium ranged action. That Eric guy that owns the place is a real player and has been known to give up some serious weight! So be careful of that straight shooting son of a gun...=))
Good Luck

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Greensboro

back2good1 said:

thanks,

-Back2good1

Which one?? All are east of Phoenix! :eek: :indecisive:

Greensboro, NC
Greensboro, AL
Greensboro, FL
Greensboro, GA
Greensboro, IN
Greensboro, MD
Greensboro, PA
Greensboro, VT

Give a shout when you're in Texas buddy!! We don't have any Greensboros though! IMO. :)wink:)

Ray

beamracing

Registered
hey rick give me a call man. i cant believe what you said about coliseums crowd.we both know that eddie runs a tight ship and would never allow that type of people in his billiard parlor.im gonna let him know that you were giving his fine estlablishment a bad name. im sure you will hear from him real soon. matt i used to be a regular at breaktime years ago myself and i would be willing to come over and play some if youre interested but it would have to be on table 5 only. the rest of the table pockets are as big as five gallon buckets and i couldnt handle watching you run racks my nerves couldnt handle it. im not calling you out just looking for some friendly action. i know all of the regulars and i am good friends with rick s. he is my hero.i just visited him in az a few months ago. if youre interested just reply on here if nothing else i will atleast stop by and introduce myself and say hello to everyone.