Where's Glen Hancock (Therealkingcobra)?!?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 4.6. Has been dead reliable for 31.000 miles. An '09, which was really kind of a leftover '08. Old, slow and obsolete by today's Mustang standards...only 315 horsepower, tremec 5 speed, 3:73 limited slip rear end on the Bullitt Models...slight horsepower bump over the '09 GT's to 315. It's been a well balanced and good ride over the years, but might be calling a guy on the Bullitt Mustang board who wants it soon. Damned snapped tendon in my left foot makes clutch work problematic. Only problem is the current new car shortage. Waiting & watching dealer inventories before making the call.

(afterthought edit) You guys seem to have more 'Stang knowlege than me. This my first, possibly my last, Mustang. But a question: Is it too new to know? Any reports on the reliability of the new Tremec dual clutch 10 speed? Thinking of a new 5.o with performance pak. So far, all the local dealer inventories are only base 4 banger ecoboost cars. Oh and a new Mach one with dealer asking $10K over sticker. I know, it's his right to ask, but it's also my right to say no.

315 for HP is just fine for a DD. A little tuning or a few upgrades and you could easily be at 350-400 which, to me, is about perfect for those cars.

I don't know anything about the 10sp you speak of but I will say if Tremec is associated with it I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow. I just looked one up. Anywhere from 30-70grand for one.

My brother let me know they did a TV show on my 69 twenty years or so ago before the collector car prices went crazy. Three known to be left and the value was $150,000 for one then. Probably not mine though, I barrel rolled it for about a city block. Odd thing was every piece of glass on that thing was broken, even the headlights. The one surviving piece of glass was that big back glass/windshield!

We had a 351W in ours.

My brother had a 69 Torino with a 351W. They didn't get much respect but were a pretty good engine. His was a second faster than my 302 70 model zero to sixty. Funny thing, we were clowning with the two 69's one day. By the time I got mine hooked up we ran out of service station concrete pad and I had to flip mine sideways to stop it. His was just as fast as mine for about 150 feet! Same tires and about the time I started to hook up I was out of concrete!

There were kits to put boss 302 heads on a 302, a big job, and a much simpler kit to put the 351W heads on a 302. Gave a lot more flow and I would have done that to my 289 if I still had it. Stock 302 heads bolted on the 289 but for little or no gain.

My 289 died in a burst of glory! Sold it to a guy that put it in an old Ford to run hobby class at the 3/4 mile asphalt track. The car was a thousand pounds overweight and as aerodynamic as a brick but he was pulling the field about two or three car lengths down the straights. Unfortunately he rushed the install and the throttle stuck. Hit the wall head on at 120plus. Survived a very badly bruised kidney, was left owing me sixty or eighty dollars on the engine. His name was Carl and his brother-in-law Jim was a friend of mine too. For months I had hunted the countryside for a Ford banjo rear end, the basis of the quick change rear ends. No luck, everybody else had scoured the country for years too! Finally I stopped at Carl's place. He wasn't there but Jim was. "Come see."

There in a piece of lawn equipment to mow golf courses was a banjo rear end! It was bolted solid, the transmission was bolted solid, and as a result of that and the light duty the rearend was in the same shape it came from the factory maybe fifty years ago! I pulled my truck with my tools in it beside the mower and unbolted the rear, Jim helped me put it in my truck. This was several years after Carl had stiffed me on the last he owed for the motor and the rear end was worth a couple hundred in barely usable shape, maybe four or five hundred for this one. "Tell Carl we are even for the money he owes me for the engine." Jim and I both knew I was hanging it to Carl but maybe he figured he deserved it! Never did hear what Carl thought about the deal.(grin)

Hu

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I am sure the dealer asking 10k above MSRP are fishing for people with more money then brains🤣
He might find one of those buyers that just has to have the first one on the block. It's just biz, but I'm not one of those buyers. I can wait...

It is kind of amazing, but there are Mustangs these days that can hang with Ferraris and Porsches through the twisties....

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure the dealer asking 10k above MSRP are fishing for people with more money then brains🤣

I listen to an ad from the local Harley dealer and it cracks me up every time. "Due to reduced production and an increase in sales we need your trade-in!" then they offer 110+% of NADA value for your trade-in, of course, you have to buy a WAY overpriced new bike to get that and it does absolutely zero for their inventory except keep it flowing while putting money in their pocket and taking if from you - because they "need" your trade-in.

How many people actually believe this stuff?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I listen to an ad from the local Harley dealer and it cracks me up every time. "Due to reduced production and an increase in sales we need your trade-in!" then they offer 110+% of NADA value for your trade-in, of course, you have to buy a WAY overpriced new bike to get that and it does absolutely zero for their inventory except keep it flowing while putting money in their pocket and taking if from you - because they "need" your trade-in.

Harley Davidson Dealers, are stealers. My last Harley was plagued with problems.

Harley Davidson apprears to be in T-shirt business.

Harley Davidson in Tumbstone don’t even sell motorcycles, just t-shirts, and accessories.

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harley Davidson Dealers, are stealers. My last Harley was plagued with problems.

Harley Davidson apprears to be in T-shirt business.

Harley Davidson in Tumbson don’t even sell motorcycles, just t-shirts, and accessories.

LOL, I remembered it because they have also been sending me emails about their clothes. They are now directed to the appropriate folder ;)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

Guaranteeing huge trade ins is a car lot trick too. As long as they can jack retail they can give you five or ten thousand for a clunker. I used to walk into a car lot knowing wholesale to the penny. When they wanted to work from retail I would tell them to forget it. Always told them no trade in too until we arrived at a price. "Now what can you give me if I trade in this vehicle I am in?" Never enough to let them have it when I got down to a real price first. When Supercrews were fresh out and demanding well above retail I bought one for $250 over what the dealer paid. I told him he could keep the floor plan too which was about three to four percent for that dealer. I had dealt with this dealer in the past and planned to service any truck I bought there so I paid a hundred over what I could have bought it from another dealer for. I didn't know that dealer though.

Had a couple issues with that truck, they got resolved. Nice ride. I put almost exactly the 1500 mile break in on the truck they recommended then took it to the mountains and high desert country. After over a day of highway there was a chance to go two-tracking. We came to a deep and steep dry wash. I asked my brother if we could go through it. "Sure, we can make it!" I was forgetting that he and my other brother had tried to cross the Mississippi with a 170CI Falcon. I made it but the truck wasn't a virgin anymore! Now I knew why so many of those trucks had the square cookie cutter holes in that plastic under the bumper. As usual a great trip and I had known the truck wasn't going to stay perfect long bouncing around the desert.

Hu

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guaranteeing huge trade ins is a car lot trick too. As long as they can jack retail they can give you five or ten thousand for a clunker. I used to walk into a car lot knowing wholesale to the penny. When they wanted to work from retail I would tell them to forget it. Always told them no trade in too until we arrived at a price. "Now what can you give me if I trade in this vehicle I am in?" Never enough to let them have it when I got down to a real price first. When Supercrews were fresh out and demanding well above retail I bought one for $250 over what the dealer paid. I told him he could keep the floor plan too which was about three to four percent for that dealer. I had dealt with this dealer in the past and planned to service any truck I bought there so I paid a hundred over what I could have bought it from another dealer for. I didn't know that dealer though.

Had a couple issues with that truck, they got resolved. Nice ride. I put almost exactly the 1500 mile break in on the truck they recommended then took it to the mountains and high desert country. After over a day of highway there was a chance to go two-tracking. We came to a deep and steep dry wash. I asked my brother if we could go through it. "Sure, we can make it!" I was forgetting that he and my other brother had tried to cross the Mississippi with a 170CI Falcon. I made it but the truck wasn't a virgin anymore! Now I knew why so many of those trucks had the square cookie cutter holes in that plastic under the bumper. As usual a great trip and I had known the truck wasn't going to stay perfect long bouncing around the desert.

Hu

Yep, the fact I have a trade in should not affect the price of the car. Give me a good price for the car and then we'll talk trade in.

Here's how much I trust used car salesmen. Must've been around 1998-99, me and the wife were looking at a 95 minivan and we got to a price and he kept talking about this "loan fee" the bank charges (150-200?), either way, I told him, you provide proof to me the bank is charging you that fee and that it cannot be waived and I'll pay the fee and buy the car. He gives me the look and says "Let me go ask my manager". The second he gets up from his desk I looked at the phone list taped to his desk, picked up the phone and called the bank and asked them. The lady on the phone was a bit confused but answered the question - no, we do not charge a fee. So the salesman comes back and informs me his manager "doesn't really play that game", I replied, me neither, I just used your phone list and your phone to call the bank and they told me there is no fee. Pretty sure he wanted to reach across the desk at that point but he held it together and simply said "Get out of my office" to which I obliged ;)

The manager called back two days later and said they'd waive the fee, I went and purchased the car that day for the original number with no fee, the salesman we were dealing with was oddly not around that day.

Trust no one.

Maybe in the next weird thread I can tell you how I made my realtor pay for the broken window and reduce her fee when I sold my house :)

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, the fact I have a trade in should not affect the price of the car. Give me a good price for the car and then we'll talk trade in.

Here's how much I trust used car salesmen. Must've been around 1998-99, me and the wife were looking at a 95 minivan and we got to a price and he kept talking about this "loan fee" the bank charges (150-200?), either way, I told him, you provide proof to me the bank is charging you that fee and that it cannot be waived and I'll pay the fee and buy the car. He gives me the look and says "Let me go ask my manager". The second he gets up from his desk I looked at the phone list taped to his desk, picked up the phone and called the bank and asked them. The lady on the phone was a bit confused but answered the question - no, we do not charge a fee. So the salesman comes back and informs me his manager "doesn't really play that game", I replied, me neither, I just used your phone list and your phone to call the bank and they told me there is no fee. Pretty sure he wanted to reach across the desk at that point but he held it together and simply said "Get out of my office" to which I obliged ;)

The manager called back two days later and said they'd waive the fee, I went and purchased the car that day for the original number with no fee, the salesman we were dealing with was oddly not around that day.

Trust no one.

Maybe in the next weird thread I can tell you how I made my realtor pay for the broken window and reduce her fee when I sold my house :)
This has been fun, enough for me to actually post. Bought a 68 cougar, in the late 70’s. Cougars were great cars, in 67 and 68, before they went big. XR7 390 GT. Ford and Mercury made a lot of 390s, some were dogs, but they all were good Engines. This 390 was no dog. Factory rated at 335, but way more. There was a guy on Lake Street, in MPLS, that could cut your stock wheels with a band saw. He welded a spacer in so you could mount some fat Mickey Thompson’s. It all looked stock, unless you got down behind it. Some truck springs in front, for weight transfer, good to go. Cut the wheel well lips, patched it up with three different colors of bondo. Street Sleeper! Cruised Excelsior BLVD, looking for volunteers. Paid for the car and made a couple grand. Towards end of summer, I started attracting a little too much attention. That winter, plan B. Carried that heavy ass bitch down into basement. Complete rebuild. Bought a set of really nice long tube hookers. That guy speced the cam and carb. He wanted me to match a manifold but I said no. Gotta look stock, with the hood up. He suggested a guy that sold a kit, for doing your own heads. Came with a blueprint, measurements, and a bunch of different shaped stones. Crane ground the cam and speced out the heads. Ram clutch. Spring arrives, summer campaign, still undefeated. Week night, things are a little slow. Dude paces me in a Challenger, six pack sticking out of the hood. Cute girl with him, smiling and waving. Nobody for real, brings their girl. I’ve already smoked everyone with a 383 six pack. I don’t even bother to put out the joint. We go out to old county road 18, I jump him, out of the box. He starts to pull me, WTF! I go on by and make him follow me to the Snyder Drug parking lot, to get paid. That six pack was fake! MF had a real actual Hemi! Cross ram, two fours, the whole setup.