Which chalk do you guys use?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another aspect of chalk is the effect of the abrasives on the tip.
I've noticed my kamui black soft holds its shape longer when using Kamui or great white for long periods of time. No grinding, just repeated swiping.

Magic chalk and predator chalk are very effective, but the tip will flatten out over time, losing its dime shape as you move through the cube. In reality, it's like you are applying a very fine grit sand paper to the leather of the tip so this flattening effect is inevitable.

I look forward to trying the new Great White formula, and Blue Mako from Outsville, which I believe will be the best mix of non abrasive effect on the tip and chalking quality.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
i use PRE-FLAG Masters now that my room just obtained 10 Grosses of it !!!

before that it was Masters, Kamui, Predator

-Steve

NervousNovice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen some vlsports videos on YouTube in which the Ko brothers were in Taiwan and used the Kamui 0.98 chalk. And then other CSI videos where they were in the US and used the Master chalk. From what I saw, it didn't seem to make a difference in their games at all.

I just don't understand why people spend so much time and effort trying to find the best chalk when all these professionals have demonstrated for years that it's not about that little piece of thing at all. Maybe Efren or Shane or Ko can complain about how the Master etc chalk is not as good as the Kamui etc chalk and is limiting their game. But not you.

If testing out chalks is one of your hobbies, then that's fine. It's not an expensive hobby at all.

But if you're trying find a chalk that brings you to the next level, then you need to stop being a chalk scientist and go fix the other aspects of your game.

And if that little piece of chalk is a major psychological factor to your performance, then there's something wrong with your mental game.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balabushka .. That's what blows my skirt up, and that is the chalk that plows my garden.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NervousNovice, that may well be the best post ever on chalk threads :thumbup: Greened you up for it, well said.

As for the topic; I use mostly Masters on my play cue and predator for my j/b as it seems to stick to the hard tip better. I also like Magic Chalk, but dont understand the hype around it though. It's chalk, and it works. Blue diamond is fine too. And so is Triangle. Havent had a chance to try out Kamui yet. I like comparing different chalks, as NervousNovice stated, its a hobby for me :) They all have some minor differences, but they all do the same thing, they add friction between the tip and CB.
I think that we just tend to "bond" to a specific brand or product, as the differences are so miniscule, that an average player propably cant say for sure what would perform the best of them all. I started out with Masters, and it still feels good for me. Luckily we can all choose what feels right to us and use that brand of chalk :)

Last edited:

Rampage8408

Registered
Masters or Blue Diamond.....but since ive bought a gross case of masters I had looked back.....just cant beat 144 cubes for 20 bucks!!!......tht way I can keep some in the case just incase the bar im at has junk pieces.....cant stand a worn out chalk

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

as I've not read anything for predator chalk...
I've played Masters which I never liked in any regard (feel, adhesion, you name it).

Blue Diamond:
A revelation.
Will chalk up with sincere concentration before a game ONCE and only every couple of shots a little bit on the spots where it's gone.
Very durable. Not abrasive at all so you might want to ruff up your tip with a tool from time to time. Works itself into the tip.

This is exactly what I like - do one thing and don't you dare change my tip.
Will make beautiful blue spots on the white ball :p

Just as in Dr Dave Billiards' review effet is great and confident. Softer hit.

Predator 1080:
Wanted to try something new and this was on sale.
Not a revelation, but rather messy when chalking for the first time - fine dust falling everywhere. Too dry for good adhesion to the tip. After 10 usages a bit better, but still far too dry and dusty.
Less durable than BD and only a little better than Masters.
Very abrasive for a chalk, visibly roughs up the tip while chalking.

This is not what I wanted, at all as the description stated "fine silica".
Leaves only slightly blue spots on the ball, considerably less than BD.

Hit is a bit harder than BD, effet OK but got a few misscues; might need to chalk way more often than with BD.

Now I use it only once or twice a match to rough up the tip a bit and will hand out the other pieces (5 pack) to my mates as it's ... :(

Clearly a fail for me.

Cheers,
M

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^ That is quite the opposite from my experience with the Predator 1080. Mine is extremely fine, not abrasive feeling at all and sure wont scuff my tip as it is near pasty feeling :thumbup: It works very well on break tips imo :smile:
Quality or humidity issue maybe... Maybe it was on sale because it has been frozen or got wet or something :confused:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Blue Diamond all the way!........I tried the Magic Chalk version and it's sitting in my closet....all hype and no difference at all if you chalk often......if you don't, then MC can help but that's the "only" reason to use it....IMO.

All hype? Then why did BD get beat silly in the chalk test completed by Dr. Dave, by Magic Chalk and Kamui. It came in a way distant 3rd.

BD is decent chalk, but it's barely better than Masters and LAVA chalk according to the results. I'm sorry you didn't like it, but "hype" is a funny word when it's clearly a better chalk conducted by independent testing. "Hype" is a chalk that costs 10 times more than Masters but produces similar results, right ?

I'd have no problem with someone choosing or liking something else, like Philly advised in an earlier post, but don't really get someone saying "hype" if it performed the best in the test. So, I will just "chalk" it up to bias for BD ;)

And yeah, I like Kamui too, it's a very good product, but over priced imho. Little messy too ;) I've heard good things about Great White chalk from Renfro as well. Predator is good chalk, but I really hate the round cubes ?? Seems silly, it falls on the floor and rolls under the table, and sometimes that next table as well ;) Got a piece in my basement now, but I can't find it, seriously !!!

Last edited:

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
Well, to be honest... I like Masters, but I am picky about my Masters

I carry two boxes of new Masters in my case everywhere that I go... but I never use it

I like my chalk a certain way, and it rarely comes out of the box that way. It often needs some humidity, and mileage before it suites my fancy.

SO... as I peruse the poolroom, I look for chalk that I like, and when I find a piece, I scoop it up, and replace it with a brand new piece out of my case. No one ever complains, and I don't feel like a thief.

Gives me a ziplock with a dozen or so pieces of "my chalk" and plenty of new chalk to swap out if I find more that I like.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk

I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please read what I wrote a little more closely........

"and no difference at all if you chalk often......if you don't, then MC can help but that's the "only" reason to use it....IMO".

p.s. Keep up the great marketing effort on AZ.

Last edited:

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I've seen some vlsports videos on YouTube in which the Ko brothers were in Taiwan and used the Kamui 0.98 chalk. And then other CSI videos where they were in the US and used the Master chalk. From what I saw, it didn't seem to make a difference in their games at all.

I just don't understand why people spend so much time and effort trying to find the best chalk when all these professionals have demonstrated for years that it's not about that little piece of thing at all. Maybe Efren or Shane or Ko can complain about how the Master etc chalk is not as good as the Kamui etc chalk and is limiting their game. But not you.

If testing out chalks is one of your hobbies, then that's fine. It's not an expensive hobby at all.

But if you're trying find a chalk that brings you to the next level, then you need to stop being a chalk scientist and go fix the other aspects of your game.

And if that little piece of chalk is a major psychological factor to your performance, then there's something wrong with your mental game.

I have to agree with the Nerve Cell here.

I barely chalk, 1 cube lasts me 12 years.

I chalk more for my rhythm, not out of necessity. I think many players do and don't realize it, it's just a habit.
When I use the outside edges of the cue ball I chalk and hope I keep my stroke straight, I pray, I get down low so it looks like I am viewing the shot when in reality I am praying my stroke stays straight.

If you are a heavy spin player I would say you need to chalk and maintain that tip more often, probably most of your miscues come from twisting or a screwdriver delivery anyway, not from the chalk, extreme spin chalking is well advised, pray your stroke is straight, do what I do, get down low, seven Hail Marys.

I am pretty sure you can strike the cue ball a little up, a little down, a little left, a little right. You can generate plenty of follow, draw, left and right spin, not extreme but plenty, without chalking and not miscuing, I am pretty sure of this. I read it on the internet it must be true.

You can set up many shots at any angle, no chalk, and shoot them 20-30 times and never miscue. Again it's all over the internet you just have to search for it.

If Willie Mosconi had some of this new chalk maybe he wouldn’t have missed 526, wait he didn’t miss 526. That’s a lot of balls in horrible conditions they played in. I wonder what Earl was using when he ran 11 racks for a million, probably a Meucci and dried out master chalk.

They have a new cue out now, it does everything for you but jump, and you just stand there and look good. I heard the prototype ran 170,000 balls before the tip wore off, it uses fairy dust as chalk.

When you purchase the next best chalk see if they sell a straight stroke. If they sell a straight stroke please order me two, I need a spare, and you can keep the chalk.

Sincerely:SS

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like my chalk a certain way, and it rarely comes out of the box that way. It often needs some humidity, and mileage before it suites my fancy.

Thank you for that - I was feeling a bit peculiar about my preferences...
Will give the Predator a bit more humidity and check again.

@SmoothStroke: Why all the hating? Chalk does not play for you. But it certainly is nice to have something to suit your preference. And we all have different ones, don't we?
Also testing out new things is fun - isn't that what life is about?

I am a strong believer that Kamui's idea is only the first in many improvements to come, and that chalk should not be dry and dusty but more like lipstick.
Does suit women better than dusty dirt on their lips, doesn't it? ;)

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes a poll what was I was thinking also. I use Masters but will probably try some Magic Chalk as a throw in next time I order something. I chalk pretty often, so Masters is fine. Will see if Magic Chalk is "cleaner".

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Blue Diamond but man, it's so abrasive I think it's wearing down my ferrule.